Change Rating System on Skill Simulator

Red Mage Joe
Beginner
Server: Klaipeda
Team Name: redmagejoe

Change Rating System on Skill Simulator

Post by Red Mage Joe » December 24th, 2016, 1:06 pm

Not to sound particularly... miffed, but I'm noticing a rather suspicious trend with certain build lists over the last week. I think it would be in the best interest of build authors and the community if the likes and dislikes builds received were attributed to their respective users. The transparency and mandatory "taking account" for these ratings may dissuade users from abusing this feature to artificially boost their build's popularity and listing on the builds list.

I only suggest this because of a few incidents I've noticed of late, the most recent being that the list of a particular class has an old build that has been recently updated and bumped up several rating points out of the blue, at precisely the same time my build, which has had no change in the number of likes, has curiously lost several rating points from some new dislikes, at least 4. Approximately the same number of rating points this build gained to climb back toward the top of the list. Curious that.

Not going to cite the actual builds to avoid making this a personal complaint, but it seems all to convenient that incidents like this are happening.
Last edited by Red Mage Joe on December 26th, 2016, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Re: Reveal Likes/Dislikes on Builds

Post by Flash » December 25th, 2016, 3:20 am

Unfortunately a like/dislike system will always be abuseable to some degree but some kind of rating is required to give new players atleast some guidance. I think the main problem is that the amount of likes / dislike is relative low which makes such attacks much more effective.
However I don't think that making the likes / dislikes public will help much as people can still abuse the system. In addition we probably would end up with dislike wars as people would feel personally attacked, and start dislike all builds of those who disliked their build and so on so I don't think it's a good idea to make this public.

If someone sees something fishy about the ratings please contact me via PM so I can look into it and delete those likes / dislike if they seem artificial.

So just send me links to the builds (yours and also the ones that got boosted) and I'll look into it when X-Mas is over :)

Red Mage Joe
Beginner

Post by Red Mage Joe » December 26th, 2016, 3:08 am

I appreciate your reply, and I agree with what you've stated as a potential outcome to an implementation of my suggestion. That would be rather messy, so I humbly retract my suggestion. I did not have that foresight at the time of posting. I think I am going to let this particular incident slide, but I appreciate your concern and will keep an eye out for any such suspicious behavior in the future and report it to you accordingly.

nymi
Newcomer

Post by nymi » December 26th, 2016, 6:29 pm

I do think the dislike feature should be removed. The old system is fine as it is. I also privatized and deleted most of my builds because of this new feature.

Red Mage Joe
Beginner

Post by Red Mage Joe » December 26th, 2016, 7:59 pm

And it has happened yet again. This time I've sent a PM to Flash regarding the issue. Someone clearly made 16 accounts overnight just to dislike bomb my build. I now second the suggestion of removing dislikes altogether. Children are just abusing free account creation to artificially boost the visibility of their builds by bombing others' builds that were worked long and hard on. There is no reason that the build simulator should become some sort of juvenile ego contest; it's there to help the community.

Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » December 26th, 2016, 9:50 pm

Hmm it's interesting to see that you two are the ones that abuse the system...

11 dislikes from same user and 15 likes from same user.

I do think some kind of quality measurement is necessary. At first I had only views but that not a good indicator so I added likes. However likes are not really helpful either because it highly depends on the amount of users that saw the build. If you need some kind of ranking an idicator is required that more neutral regarding the amount of views and the likes/dislikes rating is such a factor.
Before there were dislikes there were wars in the comments as many users wanted to warn others so whatever I do I have either a completely useless list or people hating and fighting eachother.....
I'm always open for good suggestions though :)

Red Mage Joe
Beginner

Re: Change Rating System on Skill Simulator

Post by Red Mage Joe » December 26th, 2016, 10:21 pm

Not sure how difficult it would be for Flash to implement, and I'm always iffy about compromising internet anonymity, but there is a potential middle-ground. I'm not talking Google+ / Facebook integration like Tree of Savior's official site did (I really hate that garbage). No, what about Steam integration? I mean, yeah, it's not a perfect solution as any form of online account can be spoofed to a degree, but at the very least there's something more concrete behind each account than an email address.

Because Tree of Savior requires you to login through your Steam account, if you wanted to make a new team, you would have to use a separate Steam account. Team Name is already requested by the registration process, if I recall? I don't know, I'm sure there's some flaws in this suggestion, but I'm spit-balling here. Feedback is welcome.

Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » January 1st, 2017, 9:28 pm

Having some kind of verified accounts would be nice but I'm not sure if it's really doable. It's easy to create new accounts on Steam aswell so it's not really save. I will keep this in mind though.
For now I started implementing some other methods to prevnts users from liking/disliking with fake accounts. I'm not going into detail because with make it easier to bypass. I'm also going to add a some additional checks in the future.

Valkoria
Newcomer
Team Name: Valkoria

Post by Valkoria » August 21st, 2017, 9:52 am

Not sure whats going on but one of my guides went from 21 upvotes to 0% since the last time I logged on a couple days ago:
http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... 277trofm3/

I haven't had an issue this extreme but it looks like its only happened on one guide so far. I had my room mate log on his account to see if it was just a visual error on my end but it doesn't look like it. Honestly It makes me just want to delete my guides and forget about it all together but I do enjoy writing them and helping people out, it just sucks my hard work is pretty much not visible anymore, I do enjoy the features this site offers.

do you have any plans on adjusting the voting system or anything further?