Lithuanian mythology?

snow
Newcomer

Lithuanian mythology?

Post by snow » January 13th, 2015, 1:17 am

Hello,

I'm from Lithuania, its a small country in Northern Europe and I was very surprised then I saw so many lithuanian things in this Korean game. Some of them made me smile :)

Gods Gabija, Giltinė, Laima, Saulė and Vakarinė are from our mythology, but some people still worship them. Moreover people give these names for children (except Giltinė, because it's a symbol of death).

Classes Krivis and Dievdirbys are also from Lithuania, and they are real!

Krivis is our Pagan priest and this is how it looks like in reality:
And Dievdirbys is rural artist who makes god statues from wood, you can look how he looks like:
Its very fun to find them on MMO. Do you have any idea why it inspired game creators - is it related with storyline? Does the game takes place in Pagan lands?

Thank you,
Agnius
Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Re: Lithuanian mythology?

Post by Flash » January 13th, 2015, 2:35 am

I think they were looked for something different. They were probably looking for Gods and using Norse / Egyptian, ... gods again probably was not what they wanted. One reason why they created Tree of Savior is because they felt that most games are too similar nowadays. We know that they did a lot of research and there are many classes that are related to history and local jobs. It seem they really liked the lithuanian mythology as used it for the main setting of the game. I'm not sure if the story is related to lithuanian mythology too (are there any important trees in it? ^^) but I think they will use their own world as they did in Ragnarok Online.
Bluegale
Translator
Timezone: UTC+09:00

Post by Bluegale » January 13th, 2015, 10:15 am

I think we might need to wait until the 1st CBT to find out if the detailed storyline is actually related to Lithuanian mythology.
IMC Games mentioned that during the CBT we could get hold of the story by doing various quests so I'm really looking forward to check out.

But my guess is that since they have adopted the names of Lithuanian Pagan gods, I think the core storyline is actually based on it as well.
I guess we will all figure out it by this weekend haha

And the reason why they have adopted the seemingly rare mythologies from different parts of the world is that they wanted to avoid the general cliche formed in the gaming industry.
Flash has named a few up there, you know, Nordic gods (Odin, Thor, Freja, Frey, etc..) are heavily used in various games. Skyrim, is pretty much a Nordic. Valkyrie Profile (Japan-made) is also set in the Nordic mythological world.

For Greek mythology, oh we have so many of them. (Does Spartan ring you a bell? :D)
If you look to the East, there is Hindu mythology. Vishnu, Rakshasa, and the Circle of Samsara... I would say Persona series are touched with notions of Hindu mythology.

Look at Japan. Japan is probably the most active country to game-ify / media-lize their own mythology. So many games and dramas and what-nots exist so I wouldn't even bother naming them.

So pretty much all of the 'major' mythologies have been in use already and maybe this is the reason they wanted some fresh change to the scene, hence Lithuanian!
tsum tsum*
snow
Newcomer

Post by snow » January 13th, 2015, 10:18 am

We have Stelmužės Ąžuolas, its an oldest tree in Lithuania :)

It's cool that they care about other countries mythology. This will be something different for sure.
snow
Newcomer

Post by snow » January 13th, 2015, 12:54 pm

I googled, and the answer is: yes. Tree savior part of the action takes place Lithuania.

Klaipeda (클라 페다) is one of the Largest Cities in Tree of Game Savior.

Klaipeda is lithuanian city near the sea.
http://lt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaip%C4%97da

I'm very interested why they chosed this city.
Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Post by Flash » January 13th, 2015, 6:51 pm

It's a good question ^^. In the translated articles from thsisgame.com they mentioned
For an example 'Femidian' (Pemidian?) is the city designed with the data collected from the city of Bhaktapur, Nepal.
So I guess the world will still be a self created fantasy world but with inspiratios from real world cities like names or special places.
Icystare
Wiki Manager
Timezone: GMT -5
Favorite Class: Pardoner

Post by Icystare » January 15th, 2015, 12:38 am

A lot of games tend to draw inspiration from folklore and ancient mythology as it provides a solid foundation for your settings. IMO the reason they decided to use Lithuanian mythology is due to the amount of creative freedom since Lithuanian folklore isn't set in stone unlike the other folklore/mythology such as Roman, Greek, Nordic, etc and provides a strong focal point which is the Tree of Life which everyone is familiar with.

If the directors are using the same approach as in Ragnarok Online, you'll be seeing a lot of cultures mixing in together (which isn't a bad thing.)
Gobbledygook
Newcomer

Post by Gobbledygook » April 1st, 2015, 2:23 am

Thank you Snow for this post!

I found it very nice to read and I had no idea things in this game were based on Lithuanian mythology and crafts etc.

I will be keeping my eye on this thread for anything else you might find out, thanks again!

Have a nice day.