About to start again, I don't want to mess up.

thor.grove
Newcomer

About to start again, I don't want to mess up.

Post by thor.grove » September 20th, 2016, 10:35 pm

Last time I played the game I played it pretty willy nilly assigning points here there and everywhere without really having a clue what I'm doing.
I want to play this game using a Steam controller, is it viable? Also what classes would be the best for a Steam controller type game play? I like tanking, I like damaging, I like PvP so what class/sub classes would be a good shout for a controller style game play? I guess if you can recommend something and a guide to follow that would be amazing while learning the game.

Thanks
Thanks - playing EU if there are EU servers, I'm not sure!
Servain
Beginner
Guild: Nirvana
Favorite Class: Highlander
Server: [EU] Fedimian
Team Name: Novian

Re: About to start again, I don't want to mess up.

Post by Servain » September 21st, 2016, 8:51 am

Sounds to me you would most likely enjoy a Swordie, I believe fencer and cata/dragoon are the more popular choices for pvping. I don't have any experience playing with a controller but i would assume playing a melee class would fit.

The reasoning behind swordsman:

Tank - "peltasta"
Pvp - "Fencer" or "Cataphract / Dragoon"
Controller - "melee"

When it comes to guides you can pretty much look it up on forums or if you search for different builds involving special classes through the simulator. I know Swordsman circle 3 is popular for pvp due to their stun buff but i believe going that road is pure pvp. Since you wanted pve tanking and dmg as well i would suggest the pelt->cata->dragoon path.

You will most likely get tips from more experienced players if you wait long enough, just wanted to share my knowledge so far xD

Good luck
Suzushii
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Fencer
Team Name: BJD

Post by Suzushii » September 21st, 2016, 9:48 am

At first, swordie and PvP just don't work. Reason why Sword3/Cata3 exist is being a stunlocker. Nothing more and less. Well, maybe if you pick on Rank7 Doppel instead Dragoon and later go Lancer this will be more fun and be more deadly in PvP.
(Dragoon C1 will be useless so just look for benefits like double drop or something else)

If you like tank job i have bad news for you. Tanks here mean CC user so many class can do this but Swordsman have Peltasta who can bring tons of enemies at once. But hold then is very hard because you don't deal damage equal to Wizzards or Archers.

My theorycraft of Shieldmaiden you have here but please... don't try go solo whole time, because this will be painfull and killing any mobs will take you a lot of time.
So you wanna be Fencer or Murmillo? Let me guide you a little.
Servain
Beginner

Post by Servain » September 21st, 2016, 2:38 pm

When does it actually get hard to hold aggro as a swordsman? My highlander3 doppel1 lvl 181 char havent lost aggro once since i started on bossfights and dungeon runs and i dont even have peltasta in my build. All i have to do is run around and tap mobs with my sword and they come running and then i just aoe stuff. But figured there isnt that much of a gap between dmg from other classes around those lvls, so maybe thats why. I always have the atribute that increase threat on though.
Suzushii
Apprentice

Post by Suzushii » September 21st, 2016, 3:23 pm

Servain wrote:When does it actually get hard to hold aggro as a swordsman? My highlander3 doppel1 lvl 181 char havent lost aggro once since i started on bossfights and dungeon runs and i dont even have peltasta in my build. All i have to do is run around and tap mobs with my sword and they come running and then i just aoe stuff. But figured there isnt that much of a gap between dmg from other classes around those lvls, so maybe thats why. I always have the atribute that increase threat on though.
But what make you here tank? From the beginning, being tank don't mean being hitting by mobs. This is control role, you must protect party from other minions, stop casting deadly spells or even prepeard yourself to get tons of damage instead whole party. Problem in ToS is tank role just simple don't exist in this mean and Swordsman isn't strong enough to be a tank. Just few magic mobs and you will melt. Actually I am Fencer and any pdmg do not bother me because 1100 evasion. But when i fight with magic dealers i must CC them a lot to survival this.

Ah right... Boss. Can we skip this part? Bosses in this game I can kill by myself so i don't think that is a measure of anything.
Servain
Beginner

Post by Servain » September 21st, 2016, 4:13 pm

Well first of all when taking boss into account was about aggro holding was it not? And a boss is a single target where you can nuke out a lot of dmg on, i took this into an example cause its a good measurement on how swordsman class can hold the aggro.

A tank by definition is a character that can soak dmg from various sources hence protecting others from dmg whilst also providing with hard cc's. When it comes to magic dmg, if you truly want to go tank I'm sure you can so in this game. If you take classes with high skill dmg and put most of your stats into con and spr (for mag def) and build your gear towards high hp, p.def and m.def. That's just theory crafting of course on my part be cause i haven't been high enough to experience end game yet.

But by saying that tanks don't get hit by mobs and take dmg is pretty much what tanks have been doing through games since the beginning. Even if you dodge the hits their attacks are till focused on you and not on your teammates. And if stand still taking the dmg your team can stand relatively safe behind the mobs and not get hit by their frontal cone attacks.
Suzushii
Apprentice

Post by Suzushii » September 21st, 2016, 5:24 pm

Servain wrote:Well first of all when taking boss into account was about aggro holding was it not? And a boss is a single target where you can nuke out a lot of dmg on, i took this into an example cause its a good measurement on how swordsman class can hold the aggro.
Hold aggro can anyone, survive this not. And character who is just overhealing whole time isn't tank. Yes swordsmans here should take aggro-holder role but IMC don't balance this enough and we end with actual situation.
Servain wrote:A tank by definition is a character that can soak dmg from various sources hence protecting others from dmg whilst also providing with hard cc's. When it comes to magic dmg, if you truly want to go tank I'm sure you can so in this game. If you take classes with high skill dmg and put most of your stats into con and spr (for mag def) and build your gear towards high hp, p.def and m.def. That's just theory crafting of course on my part be cause i haven't been high enough to experience end game yet.
Soak mean nulify, not just get 1kk dmg on face. Did swordsman have abilities to alleviate the amount of damage?
And no one just NO ONE go SPR, i tell you why. For 1 mdef you must spent 4 points into SPR and 2 mdef can reduce damage from magic by 1. So if you wanna reduce magic damage by 100 you need 200 magic defence what mean you must spent 800 points to SPR, you don't have that number of stat points.
Servain wrote:But by saying that tanks don't get hit by mobs and take dmg is pretty much what tanks have been doing through games since the beginning. Even if you dodge the hits their attacks are till focused on you and not on your teammates. And if stand still taking the dmg your team can stand relatively safe behind the mobs and not get hit by their frontal cone attacks.
Yes and no. Because at first you alone die in... 3 second when you go on end-game locations. Try even Blue Fortress survive whole room more than few second, they melt you instant. You can hold monsters but nothing more, can bash, interupt, smashing by shield or stun by all skill you have. But without Cleric who will trow heal under your legs whole work end fast... because you die. Remember we don't have here target spells so healer can't just click on you and heal. This isn't World of Warcraft so standing behind boss just not work. Bosses have huge area damage, running, rushing, trowing flame. All must be active and watch yourself, mostly DD builds with low HP. Many time i got some Musketers with 6k HP on 270 lvl when we grind Maven Abby, just one mob got idea to hit him and that was enough. Not my fault as a "tank" just he got hit on one of this kind damage and thats it.

When I start in this game i was thinking just same like you, wear shield, take shield-use-skill and control fight. Just nope, one big NOPE. This just don't work and now i am Peltasta C1/Barbarian C3/Fencer C2 and i can do "tank job". If guardian skill don't raise my evasion by 18%, I just even wouldn't take this class.