Why only Fire, Ice, Poison, Holy and Dark as elements?

Zefreonnoerfez
Beginner

Why only Fire, Ice, Poison, Holy and Dark as elements?

Post by Zefreonnoerfez » August 13th, 2014, 12:32 am

So I was wondering briefly, from this pic http://www.tree-of-savior.com/news_img/stats.png , why there are only five elements in the game namely Fire, Ice, Poison, Holy and Dark? Wouldn't it be nice if Earth, Wind and Water are included? I mean the game would have more hit calculation to it done through plethora of elemental strikes. But yes, I think part of the reason it's just five elements and not Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, and Metal is that the developers want to focus on what really happens in real combat. What really is occurring when contact is made in combat. So I think here, they wanna show us - how is it like to be burnt, how is it like to be frozen, how is it like to be sick from poisoning, how is it like to have good or evil essence manipulated and affected within you, you know, things that would really happen in realism and not just many elements for the sake of many elements. But I think, even if there were many elements to begin with (let's see, my ideas of elements are Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Magma, Ice, Lightning, Plant, Holy and Dark, gonna use them for my RPG project), we might still can rationalise it unto realism. But through and true to ToS team's point of view, being burnt, frozen, poisoned, blessed and demonised, with the physical attacks whose effects may varied depending on weapon, target's size, and position, are what additional effects that really happen in real-life combat. Your thoughts? :ok:
Goldmind
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+30

Re: Why only Fire, Ice, Poison, Holy and Dark as elements?

Post by Goldmind » August 13th, 2014, 12:42 am

There's not a whole lot of things that the single image can tell us. We can make a lot of good, honest guesswork but when it really comes down to it, there isn't much to go on.

Your guess is as good as mine.
Zefreonnoerfez
Beginner

Post by Zefreonnoerfez » August 13th, 2014, 12:44 am

Yes. And they prolly might change and add more elements, hmm. :ok:
cholo
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC-5

Post by cholo » August 13th, 2014, 1:42 am

in light of another topic already addressing elements, i think their system is an attempt to avoid redundancy and any overlap of common ground between the multitudes of elements.
based on the classes that have already been displayed, it seems that they all follow this current, concise system of elements. unless i'm mistaken.
Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Post by Flash » August 13th, 2014, 2:18 am

Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Magma, Ice, Lightning, Plant, Holy and Dark
Seems a bit redundant to me. I usually would assume Fire = Magma, Water = Ice, Wind = Lightning, Earth = Plant
So if I would use Fire, Water, Wind and Earth as natural Elements + Special elements like Holy & Dark

Plant isn't an element for me but a type. Ice would be a type for me too (if it's not equal to water) and so an. But I don't really understand why poison is an element... So I don't want to have too many elements in the game especially if most of them would be the same but I really miss stuff like Earth and Wind too.
Laima
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+8

Post by Laima » August 13th, 2014, 3:16 am

I don't think there's a deep reason behind the elements that were chosen. Honestly, no matter what were chosen, there's always going to be room for questions. I like cholo's and IgnisFlamma's explanations. Mine is more based on RO:

Start with RO's 10 elements.
Take away Neutral, because it should really be the same as non-elemental.
Take away Ghost, because it's out of place as an element, especially when Neutral is removed.
Take away Undead, because it has too many perks for an element, but redundant with Dark/Shadow if those perks were removed.
Take away Earth, because it's basically just cannon fodder for fire spells/weaponry (in RO's context).
As for Wind/Lightning, there was some hints of electric spells in older versions of TOS. Not sure what happened after that.

That leaves us with Fire, Ice/Water, Holy, Dark which are all very traditional and iconic elements. And then there's Poison, which I don't agree with being an element, but I imagine that the dev team has been fond of it since RO times.
Last edited by Laima on August 13th, 2014, 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Desperate for 1 key.
Zefreonnoerfez
Beginner

Post by Zefreonnoerfez » August 13th, 2014, 4:54 am

Thanks for your thoughts, cholo, Flash and Laima. I am enlightened. :ok:
Arec
Apprentice
Guild: ROOT
Timezone: PST
Favorite Class: Templar

Post by Arec » August 13th, 2014, 5:05 am

In my opinion this is what I do!

Base Elements
Fire
Earth
Wind
Fire

I feel like Light and Dark Correlate to Cult/Faith related magic. Sometimes I feel like it could be a gravity/time type magic too?
Light
Dark

Combination + Advanced
Magma - earth+fire

Plant(+Poison) - Earth + water

Wind - Lightning

Water - Ice

Light - Holy

Dark - Venom/Curse

But this perspective is just me having fun with a diverse set of elements hah.
Zefreonnoerfez
Beginner

Post by Zefreonnoerfez » August 13th, 2014, 5:10 am

Arec wrote:In my opinion this is what I do!

Base Elements
Fire
Earth
Wind
Fire

I feel like Light and Dark Correlate to Cult/Faith related magic. Sometimes I feel like it could be a gravity/time type magic too?
Light
Dark

Combination + Advanced
Magma - earth+fire

Plant(+Poison) - Earth + water

Wind - Lightning

Water - Ice

Light - Holy

Dark - Venom/Curse

But this perspective is just me having fun with a diverse set of elements hah.
Haha, I see.
And you're right about Earth+Fire equals to Magma. I was going on that too.
My version of elements would go like this:
Fire (Base), Water (Base), Wind (Base), Earth (Base), Magma (Fire+Earth), Ice (Wind+Water), Lightning (Wind+Fire). Plant(Water+Earth), Holy(Base), Dark(Base)
cholo
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC-5

Post by cholo » August 13th, 2014, 6:24 am

Arec wrote: Base Elements
Fire
Earth
Wind
Fire
hahahah. fire. the double element! so op! you probably meant water in all proper reasoning, but i thought it was funny.
Laima wrote:And then there's Poison, which I don't agree with being an element, but I imagine that the dev team has been fond of it since RO times.
yeah. they don't seem to talk much about status effects, which we would easily classify poison as. but i believe they made poison its own element to complement dot and poison-centered classes such as the wugushi. i think it makes more sense to have a class based off of an element, as opposed to deriving from just one status effect.
edit; on a similar note, could you imagine a class based solely on a status effect, such as sleep? kinda like playing as a jigglypuff class. pretty neat. such support!
Laima
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+8

Post by Laima » August 13th, 2014, 7:50 am

cholo wrote:edit; on a similar note, could you imagine a class based solely on a status effect, such as sleep? kinda like playing as a jigglypuff class. pretty neat. such support!
Lmao, that reminded me of my Sorcerer/Gunslinger in Aura Kingdom. In that game, you could stack cooldown reductions to the point that Sorcerer's sleep duration is equal to its cooldown. It wasn't really unbalanced since enemies wake up upon taking hits... except I found a loophole - Gunslinger's traps applied debuffs without 'hitting' enemies, even if they did damage over time. In particular, one trap did insane amounts of damage if not for the fact that people could easily avoid its pitiful AOE... not unless they're asleep. :gg:

Speaking of which, one of the basic stats (Intelligence/Spirit) is rumored to reduce cooldown. :rice:
Desperate for 1 key.