My likes and dislikes of the iCBT

Courtis
Donator
Guild: Majestic

My likes and dislikes of the iCBT

Post by Courtis » August 11th, 2015, 12:08 pm

This will be my feedback of the ToS iCBT. I have things to say about the game in general, about classes and other specific stuff. This feedback follows no specific order of topics. I will just write, what is on my mind after those days of testing. I will however seperate it by things I liked and aspects I didn't like.

inb4: "This is not RO!!!!!!!!!!!!111oneoneeleven". Yes this is not Ragnarok online. However Ragnarok had certain things that made it special. I will draw comparisons to RO, WOW and other MMOs who are objectively good or well made. Get over it.

Let me summarize my thoughts on the Beta in one to two sentences first: "I cannot wait to play the finished version of ToS, but this game is FAR from finished. I really hope ToS will not see release until mid 2016, because there is a lot to improve"

Things I liked:

Party events: People were eager to form parties. This alone gives me hope for the generel community of this game. While being in a party I loved when a party event came up (field boss). Not only could you hunt for funny headgears, but you were forced to use some sort of communication within the group. I like that very much. Thumbs up for that.

Gem crafting: I'm pretty torn on this one. I have not yet seen a game, where you get a disadvantage and with it a slightly bigger advantage. It might work, but it hurts to sacrifice one stat point for another. Also, the system can and will be exploited: You can easily upgrade your gems to extremely high levels with low level tradable items. Just buy everything on the Market that's unter 20 silver per piece and pump it into your gems. This makes gem crafting really easy but less frustrating.

Graphics: The graphics are supreme. Nothing more to say on this one!

Huge level range for parties: As I was level 53, I was still able to play in a party with 30-50ish players in Tenet Gardens and make decent EXP. I could also go the Veja Ravine joining a 40-60 party. This gives you more options on supporting friends and playing with a broader variety of players. Good thing.

Crafting: At first I didn't like the idea, that you could only craft one item per recipe. But actually I don't mind at all. This keeps the market a little bit more interesting and less flooded.

Things I didn't like

The lack of variety: Do three quest, kill a boring boss, do another three quests, kill another boring boss. This began at lvl 1 and continued all the way I played (lvl 54). In between the level gaps you had to grind 3-5 hours until new quests got available. This is mainly my biggest issue with the game. besides leveling you had almost no option to do ANYTHING ELSE. RO had minibosses which were thrilling to hunt or rare items to farm. WoW had interesting dungeons and battlegrounds and pets and whatnot. So far even RO2 (TLotS) had more opportunities for its players. I yould rant on about this point all day long, but people had already criticized it so much, I will leave it at that.

The Card Game: I don't even know what to say here. This minigame is embarrassing.

The grind: I actually don't mind grinding. But in ToS it feels like a chore. I'd rather do some housework.

My Ranger's damage: I don't know if I skilled wrongly or if I am just a bad player, but it seemed to me that at some point my Ranger's damage didn't progress. I saw Highlanders jumping around doing AoE auto-attacks with 600+ damage at lvl 40 while I (60 STR, 40 DEX, +4 epic Bow for lvl 40 with lvl 4 green Gem, etc...) auto attacked for 70-150 damage, depending on the enemies defense. While fighting quest-bosses I dealt 20-30 damage per hit at level 52. But the worst part was comparing my AoE-attack (Multishot) with a wizard's Earthquake. Multishot: Has to be charged while standing still, hits an area several times and then ends, divides its damage between the affected targets. Earthquake: Had to be put on the ground, stayed there for very long, monsters could later be moved into the zone to be damaged and it dealt 3-4 times the damage to EACH mob, what Multishot dealt added up. I would really like to see some improvement here.

The lack of a reliable income source: At a certain level you have to be very lucky to increase your silver earnings.I made the most silver from Tenet Garden (Mark Gloves, Pants, Kite Shields and so on). After that I was practically stuck between 20k and 30k silver.

The general lack of equipment: A handfull of weapons for level 15 and then the same for level 40, 75 and 120. This is laziness at its best. Please put some more effort in the item development.

Durability: I agree that durability is okay to have in an MMO. But in ToS you had to repair several times per grind without dying once. This is a bit over the top. Turn down the speed of durability loss and make it more expensive if you must.

Item potential: I agree that there has to be a limit to how often you can upgrade, enchant or socket an item. But you could just set a limit for each of those. The potential system sucks, especially for trading purposes. Some people like to do get economic and buy and resell stuff. This is a very important aspect of a market system and with potential you dismiss that. AT least don't reduce the potential when through trading.

The sudden end of the main questline: I understand that in order to progress, you must have a certain level. But at some points the questline simply ends, if you do not have the respective level to get the next quest and you are left wondering, how to go on. At least notify a player in the quest tab, that the main questline will continue in X levels.

The heavy focus on auto-attacks: As a non-Spirit class you have so little SP, that you cannot even do a skill rotation. All you can do is spam your strongest 1-2 skills until your SP is empty (which will happen WAY too fast) and then auto-attack for the rest of the time. This is boring as hell.

Profanity filter: Holy ** this ** is annoying. I understand that you have to "protect" the younger and even more sensitive ones of your players. But at least let me decide if I want to use the profanity filter. I'm in the end of my 20s for ** sake >_>

Shout Chat: Maybe I am old fashioned, but I don't see a place for shout chats. If you want to write something, anyone can read, go to a capital city. I'll just say it: The chat system in WoW is perfect.

This cuncludes my feedback. If something alse comes to mind, I will add it later. Feel free to discuss.
MintsFresh
Beginner
Guild: Omurice

Re: My likes and dislikes of the iCBT

Post by MintsFresh » August 12th, 2015, 4:24 am

So I'd like to say that I agree with a lot of things you said such as party events huge level range for parties and crafting.

Party Events and Drops
Party events are really nice in that you can team up with randoms or friends in order to take down a field / world boss. I do have to say though that drop system for this really needs work on because there's little drops for the amount of people I've seen fighting the boss. Also (this is just my personal opinion so correct me if I'm wrong), If drops are calculated based on damage thresholds then tanks or healers would naturally never get drops based on this calculation. I was playing a Peltasta class as a full tank, taunting the boss and taking aggression yet I have not gotten a single drop once from this. A tank would never deal as much damage as a wizard or archer class so I really do think they need to work on this a bit better.

Crafting and Items
The crafting was a weird and a new experience for me but I do agree that the one recipe per craft is a good thing for market since it doesn't flood the market with a single craft able item. Also I do feel like the market needs to be reworked a bit to refresh items bought but that's just a CBT bug issue. I also agree that equipment varieties between level ranges are lack luster. Having like 2-3 weapons per class is boring. I don't know how it is later on in the game but from a personal point of view this needs work on. Gems do make weapons a bit more dynamic stat wise so I like that idea.

The Grind
I'm not going to sit here and explain the whole grinding situation because that's just redundant since everyone was having a discussion about that. Personally, I don't mind the grind as well and I actually enjoy it. I've played a variety of MMOs and having a hard grind factor allows a lot of social aspects in the game, in which a lot of new MMOs miss out on. Talking to people you find in parties and discussing tactics or anything in general is something I missed. I grew up on MMOs like Maplestory where people used to talk and become closer because of hard party quests or grinding.

Item Durability
I'll probably make this short and simple. They probably made this because of classes like the Squire to be more valuable to pick up on because of the repairing factor they have since they repair and slow down the durability loss on equipment. It does however suck for early levels because we have to go back and repair then come back and grind then rinse and repeat.
Aries
Apprentice

Post by Aries » August 12th, 2015, 6:59 am

Great posting Courtis ^_^
Lets hope with all the people saying this stuff IMC will wake up and fix them.
Hopefully one day we could be all laughing about how crappy the beta ToS was back in the day. ^,^
Rory
Newcomer

Post by Rory » August 12th, 2015, 8:21 am

I REALLY hope they keep durability how it is, because the Squire class is going to shine so so so much. You can increase max durability by like 50% and also make durability go slower, all of which you can have done in a little mini-store you setup as a squire. Granted, if you're partying with a squire and semi-carrying him if he is more crafting oriented, he will probably do it for free, which would be a great asset to any party. Like dang, could you imagine just NOT having to pay for repairs? Let alone travel there and back? :D :D :D
nekomimi
Beginner

Post by nekomimi » August 12th, 2015, 6:59 pm

grind - horrible. i won't be playing this game for long if the grind is like this.
shout chat - yes there is a shout channel which is shown server wide. u just need a megaphone.
Vektor
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Plague Doctor

Post by Vektor » August 13th, 2015, 12:56 am

My main complaint is the xp rate during the Beta. I mean, if the game is a huge grind, that's ok, I can deal with that. What is not ok is to impose said grind while we have only 1 week to play and all our characters will get wiped after this tiny amount of time.

With the amount of time given to us, getting to the third class choice was a challenge by itself, and I honestly didn't feel motivated enough to spend the majority of my day grinding a character like crazy just to get to see my third class and then get it deleted shortly after.

My goal with this Beta was, among other things, to test out as many classes as I could and see what resonated with me more. The way things were I couldn't even get pass Krivis. I did have a lot of fun, but the grind really hurt the experimentation side of this Beta.
nekomimi
Beginner

Post by nekomimi » August 13th, 2015, 1:02 am

Vektor wrote:My main complaint is the xp rate during the Beta. I mean, if the game is a huge grind, that's ok, I can deal with that. What is not ok is to impose said grind while we have only 1 week to play and all our characters will get wiped after this tiny amount of time.

With the amount of time given to us, getting to the third class choice was a challenge by itself, and I honestly didn't feel motivated enough to spend the majority of my day grinding a character like crazy just to get to see my third class and then get it deleted shortly after.

My goal with this Beta was, among other things, to test out as many classes as I could and see what resonated with me more. The way things were I couldn't even get pass Krivis. I did have a lot of fun, but the grind really hurt the experimentation side of this Beta.
GM kinda responded the exp rate in tos forum.Tthe explanation for the low rate is that class balance and late game content is not the test focus for this CBT. They want us to explore more thoroughly rather than hurrying to level up.
Arukado
Newcomer

Post by Arukado » August 13th, 2015, 1:34 am

nekomimi wrote: GM kinda responded the exp rate in tos forum.Tthe explanation for the low rate is that class balance and late game content is not the test focus for this CBT. They want us to explore more thoroughly rather than hurrying to level up.
Okay, but if you want to explore more thoroughly, you have to level up... The CBT is useless if they just wanted to see us jumping like rabbits or kangaroos in order to "explore" :hmm:
I hide behind sarcasm because telling you to go f*** yourself is considered rude in most social situations.
Dknight
Newcomer

Post by Dknight » August 13th, 2015, 2:41 am

I for one thought the same thing about equipment. I don't know if at higher levels is more varied, because I recall seeing numerous different levels in gear in the ToS database, but the lvl~100 range needs a little more flavor.

Having gear for set levels 1, 15, 40, 75, 100 didn't feel very good. Those are considerable gaps and somehow feels generic. I would add a little more options in rarity and levels. I mean for example getting a drop of a blue set of level 3 gloves, or a purple lv 7 1h-sword that will last you a while because it has better stats than the level 15 ones, or level 13 common gear boots, level 19 common gear pants and so on. I think there should be a chance for gear to drop with a socket also. It just felt too underdeveloped to me, but again it might be just for the lower level bracket.

The point is to have more options and adjust dropping rates accordingly of course.
dory
Beginner
Favorite Class: Cryomancer

Post by dory » August 13th, 2015, 2:54 am

Courtis summed it up quite well! Esp profanity filter and shout chat. I didn't think they would bother me at first.

I also didn't really like the bosses hitting way too hard (wiz perspective). The boss fights arent difficult because they don't move much, but they kill me in 1 hit. As someone who plays from Aust. and lag.. it's a bit frustrating x.x. Kiting mobs were also a bit annoying, i wished they didn't respawn instantly. Nonetheless, i love the boss designs though.
Rory
Newcomer

Post by Rory » August 13th, 2015, 7:02 am

I hope they reduce the exp rates by another half.
Arukado
Newcomer

Post by Arukado » August 13th, 2015, 11:29 am

Rory wrote:I hope they reduce the exp rates by another half.
You're sure? Because reaching the lvl 200 will take 5 years... :oops:
I hide behind sarcasm because telling you to go f*** yourself is considered rude in most social situations.
Courtis
Donator

Post by Courtis » August 13th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Oh, another thing I just remembered that I hated.

Barrack-/Teamnames

My Character is supposed to be named "Courtis" in Order to do that, ALL my characters have to be named Courtis, since obviously the "sccountname" has a higher priority than the actual name of the character. This system feels SO forced an unneccessary. I understand that IMC does want to stand out but this is and has always been a bad idea. They should really let it go.
Courtis
Donator

Post by Courtis » August 13th, 2015, 7:03 pm

nekomimi wrote:
GM kinda responded the exp rate in tos forum.Tthe explanation for the low rate is that class balance and late game content is not the test focus for this CBT. They want us to explore more thoroughly rather than hurrying to level up.
I smell a 2nd iCBT. That gives me hope that release is quite some time away :)
faeo_mavklas
Apprentice
Guild: TBA
Timezone: -8
Favorite Class: Hackapell
Server: Klaipeda

Post by faeo_mavklas » August 13th, 2015, 9:17 pm

CBT yes, it's CBT. The first Closed-Beta for the international server. Oh wait I think I should give your more detail, this is CBT. :wah:

Comparing a game that just got it's 3rd cbt done to games that are probably on the gazillionth patch haha! :panic:
Rory
Newcomer

Post by Rory » August 13th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Arukado wrote:
You're sure? Because reaching the lvl 200 will take 5 years... :oops:

I wanna see THAT spreadsheet. *giggle*
Vektor
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Plague Doctor

Post by Vektor » August 30th, 2015, 8:07 pm

I wouldn't mind that. My point is that grinding isn't a problem, the problem is mindless grinding when all will vanish in one week. At that point it's not a matter of effort, but of just limiting the amount of the game you can see during the beta period.

Sorry for necroing the thread, I've been away for too long but still wanted to reply :wah: