Private Servers When?

Silk
Apprentice

Re: Private Servers When?

Post by Silk » August 9th, 2015, 2:04 pm

Gardosen has a point. IMCGames is not Gravity, it's a new company with a lot of investment and a lot to lose, quick. Small companies like this that make medium or high budget product at a medium company size have been in the decline n America with THQ famously going down and many with it.

All this *Free stuff* has entirely changed every industry.

Musicians cannot and do not survive off album sales. Their music is essentially an advertisement for their shows that hey expect some fans to buy as a courteous donation to them, all their money comes from shows. Royalties are pitiful too.

The Pay to Win and Free to Play everything cash shop models we (I) complain about being so much are probably the result of years of bootlegging and failed bootlegging prevention. And buyers psychology, different story though,
Immoral
Beginner

Post by Immoral » August 9th, 2015, 3:04 pm

If you think that companies are made of saints then I'm the one sorry for you. Plus, RO was already an old game 10 years ago, no wonder it won't make any profit 2 years ago :hmm:
KeksX
Beginner

Post by KeksX » August 9th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Immoral wrote:If you think that companies are made of saints then I'm the one sorry for you. Plus, RO was already an old game 10 years ago, no wonder it won't make any profit 2 years ago :hmm:
Age has nothing to do with a game's success, especially MMOs. Just look at WoW. If a game is properly supported, age is completely irrelevant.

No one is saying that these companies are saints. But these companies do this stuff, stuff that many people love, for a living, and if they can't properly make a living out of it, they have to do something else. Such as trying to create a sequel with no money to invest. Or doing different jobs altogether.

Game developers already tend to be burned out and underpaid, and then a community comes along, claims "they love the game" and steal it, so that these developers get nothing out of it.

No sympathy for that kind of behaviour, and if one was/is playing on private servers exclusively without ever having paid for the official servers, he/she is part of the reason Ragnarok never reached it's full potential. Remember we still talk about an industry, and thus money talks.
Gaikang
Newcomer
Timezone: UTC -6

Post by Gaikang » August 10th, 2015, 4:56 am

Might need private server to avoid the mob of annoying people who apparently are BRs, if they don't implement a mute function soon.
Gardosen
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Doppelsöldner

Post by Gardosen » August 10th, 2015, 5:57 am

Immoral wrote:If you think that companies are made of saints then I'm the one sorry for you. Plus, RO was already an old game 10 years ago, no wonder it won't make any profit 2 years ago :hmm:
exactly your behavior is the reason why more and more Marketing Managers tend to use P2W, to milk the game out as fast as possible.
They say it is more proffitable for them, because games don't exist for years.

Ragnarok was released 2001 and still today its behind WoW the game who made the most money. but only 30% of the money goes to Gravity. the rest goes to private server hosters who dont give a fuck for their customers. People who plan server farms, who think its easy to host a server because of a one click installation. But same like every other project, the maintanance is the hard job, not the setup.

Ragnarok could have way bigger moments, but the pServer Scene destroyed it. its even visible in the pserver community. many of the biggest brains behind the scene, quit this scene because they say "this is not what i was building up with my work. the people here are toxic". it was not because they were borred, it was because they shared all their work for free, and people grabbed it to make the most money with it on their servers. :no1:

the same will happen for tree of savior, stupid people will release an open source emulator to "help" tree of savior. but at the end, someone will grab this emulator, create a shop system for it, and milk the users. someone else will see this, creates his own server, puts in the same shop system, and put in cheaper items. and this story , same like on ro, will repeat and repeat.

the only difference is that imcGames only has Tree of Savior, they don't have plenty other games where money comes in. which means, every cent, they lose, is killing the game step by step.
My Dragoon Passive OneHanded Spear Dagger Build -> http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... aztoyx6nj/
Derek
Newcomer

Post by Derek » August 10th, 2015, 8:14 am

Gardosen wrote:
exactly your behavior is the reason why more and more Marketing Managers tend to use P2W, to milk the game out as fast as possible.
They say it is more proffitable for them, because games don't exist for years.

Ragnarok was released 2001 and still today its behind WoW the game who made the most money. but only 30% of the money goes to Gravity. the rest goes to private server hosters who dont give a fuck for their customers. People who plan server farms, who think its easy to host a server because of a one click installation. But same like every other project, the maintanance is the hard job, not the setup.

Ragnarok could have way bigger moments, but the pServer Scene destroyed it. its even visible in the pserver community. many of the biggest brains behind the scene, quit this scene because they say "this is not what i was building up with my work. the people here are toxic". it was not because they were borred, it was because they shared all their work for free, and people grabbed it to make the most money with it on their servers. :no1:

the same will happen for tree of savior, stupid people will release an open source emulator to "help" tree of savior. but at the end, someone will grab this emulator, create a shop system for it, and milk the users. someone else will see this, creates his own server, puts in the same shop system, and put in cheaper items. and this story , same like on ro, will repeat and repeat.

the only difference is that imcGames only has Tree of Savior, they don't have plenty other games where money comes in. which means, every cent, they lose, is killing the game step by step.

I don't mean to create friction, but I feel like the overall MMO scene has shifted so far that a private server isn't really viable.

Tree of Savior on release will already be free to play. I believe the only reason private servers were ever able to get people in the door was Ragnarok's pricing system prevented you from playing without forking over the $12 subscription. I wholeheartedly believe free2play basically consumed the private server scene for MMOs.

Short of IMC or their regional publisher ruining the game with blatant Pay2Win cash shop transactions, I don't think there's enough room for private servers to thrive. Pretty much all private servers for RO had some sort of Pay2Win system set up through their 'donations', and would be far more blatant than anything an official server will consider. It would be a huge turnoff to today's MMO player to move to a server that's even MORE Pay2Win than official.

Either that, or their XP rate will be something ridiculous like 200x, people will run around on there at max level for a few days, get bored, and quite possibly just move back to the official, more populated servers once they've gotten to experience the end of the game.

Let's not forget either, RO was plagued by private servers because someone inside Gravity kept leaking Aegis (the official server software) to the emulation team. Without that, reverse engineering the server is significantly more work, especially for a team that's not already specialized in that field.

All of that said, would you mind replying to me in the KR CBT3 Translation thread? I have a pressing issue I could use some help with... :thx:
Soushii
Beginner

Post by Soushii » November 24th, 2015, 11:43 am

I was involve back then on making pserver, npc scripts, and custom maps. But I never profited even a cent from it. You really can't blame everything on pservers (about half I guess) since the one that really destroyed the game (and probably the economy) was the bots. I don't even know if gravity even tried stopping these 3rd party programs. It's kinda sad seeing your local server population was 90% bot and 10% real people (which only login to chat with friends). The reasons why some people chose to play on pserver is because of the official server having the p2p system, then after they made the game into f2p it became p2w. Yes they need money to keep the game running but what they did was really over the top for me. There was no balance at all. No money to spend? Then you lose to those who has them. So what can the poor people do? Look for an alternative or join the botting community. The bottom line is, the pservers are at fault also but not 100%. The game management of the official server are the ones to blame for most of the part.

Most probably I'll get bashed over this comment of mine. But meh. Hell I care. Everyone has a say on it. And I don't think there's even a right or wrong with it.
Gardosen
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Doppelsöldner

Post by Gardosen » November 24th, 2015, 10:00 pm

Soushii wrote:I was involve back then on making pserver, npc scripts, and custom maps. But I never profited even a cent from it. You really can't blame everything on pservers (about half I guess) since the one that really destroyed the game (and probably the economy) was the bots. I don't even know if gravity even tried stopping these 3rd party programs. It's kinda sad seeing your local server population was 90% bot and 10% real people (which only login to chat with friends). The reasons why some people chose to play on pserver is because of the official server having the p2p system, then after they made the game into f2p it became p2w. Yes they need money to keep the game running but what they did was really over the top for me. There was no balance at all. No money to spend? Then you lose to those who has them. So what can the poor people do? Look for an alternative or join the botting community. The bottom line is, the pservers are at fault also but not 100%. The game management of the official server are the ones to blame for most of the part.

Most probably I'll get bashed over this comment of mine. But meh. Hell I care. Everyone has a say on it. And I don't think there's even a right or wrong with it.
Someone who knows about this will never blame you for this.

1. you are honest
2. you seems to have cared for the game

even when i do not 100% agree with your opinion, i like your post.

Kind regards
Gardosen
My Dragoon Passive OneHanded Spear Dagger Build -> http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... aztoyx6nj/