Economy

AznVille
Apprentice

Economy

Post by AznVille » September 6th, 2014, 7:20 pm

I'm curious to what you guys think the in game economy might be like. It seems like people can be very self dependent with the recipe system but I wonder how rare those recipes are. I can't see much trading happening if recipes are very easy to come by, but some how I have a feeling they might not be. Also, I was wondering if cash flow would be largely funded by selling trash drops to NPCs much like in many MMOs or if every item is useful for a recipe out there. I know I've had my regrets after not being as much of a RO noob XD. Maybe we can keep things posted on the forums and avoid those tragic regrets :ok:

Mr.Nova
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: EST (GMT+4)
Favorite Class: Templar

Re: Economy

Post by Mr.Nova » September 6th, 2014, 8:29 pm

I'm almost perpetually poor in every MMO I play, due to my hoarding nature.

I rarely sell anything I find, even if it's worth 1 copper at best.

Eventually once I start figuring out the usefulness of certain items, then I start clearing out my inventory, but until that point I usually keep everything @_@
TOSBase Chat!
Discord Channel - IRC Channel

AznVille
Apprentice

Post by AznVille » September 6th, 2014, 9:21 pm

I know the feeling, I wonder how I'll be this time around now that I'm not new to these style of games. Being poor does suck though, especially when NPCs are selling items that you know would make gaming so much easier but you just can't afford :wah:

Laima
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+8

Post by Laima » September 7th, 2014, 8:47 am

Items are classified in the inventory, so you'll immediately figure out if an item is used for crafting.

About recipes, it was said that you can teach to other players the recipes you know. Now, what if recipes cannot be sold or traded? I.e. If you don't want to grind for a recipe drop, you have to look for a player who has already learned it. I imagine it'd have interesting implications, especially with aspiring craftsmen and master craftsmen (those at the top of the crafting ranks).

:ic:
Desperate for 1 key.

AznVille
Apprentice

Post by AznVille » September 8th, 2014, 11:01 am

Ah, thanks for that info :no1: now I'll be able to sell without guilt :D also I would like to see something like that come to fruit where some players in the game contribute to the community (and themselves) by being master craftsmen gathering recipes as well as maybe making better quality equipment. I enjoyed that aspect in RO, though it was limited.

Squishy
Beginner
Guild: RAWR
Timezone: US Central

Post by Squishy » September 17th, 2014, 11:37 pm

I just hope ToS has a very top notch security. Because I can already see a mass of bots in this game, which will then ultimately ruin the economy.

Updater3000
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC +1
Favorite Class: Highlander
Server: [EU] Fedimian
Team Name: Red-Dragoons

Post by Updater3000 » September 18th, 2014, 1:15 am

Teaching other players the recipes you learned is an original thing for a mmo, hope we'll get this feature IG, imagine the silvers you'll get on selling your knowledge :!:

Logically if teaching others your recipes was possible then the recipe drop rate is very rare, think of it if a recipe is easily drop-able why bother yourself searching someone to teach it to you ?
Another point of this system is that it encourages players to socialize with others, and maybe make a profits of the new relationship, like "teach me your recipe I'll teach you mine" !

Or maybe players can teach recipes in limited numbers, like a recipe can be taught to others only 3 times, from that the price of the recipes will be a little higher I think.

EDIT :
I want to speculate more about the drop rate of a recipe :D , First of all I think that the recipe drop rate varies from a recipe to another because, if all the recipes drop rate was the same it would be technically wrong, a Super Mega Killer Sword recipe can't be droped as the same rate as a little Long Sword recipe. Then there is some other parameters like :
-The drop rate of the materials that are needed to craft that recipe.
-The number of those materials.
-The amount of each material needed.
If the Long Sword recipe for e.g. Needs only 3 type of materials (5xSteel, 2xCarved Wood and 2xIron Ore) and that those materials were easily looted then his recipe would be logically easy to be loot.

That's all, have a nice day.

Shima
Beginner

Post by Shima » October 3rd, 2014, 10:45 am

I hope that there is an open market manager system where sellers are forced to disclose their identities. This may reduce the number of bots trying to offload their ill-gotten gains to other people. It would be much more easier to ban them and alts too. It probably won't happen if they bring back RO's vendor system though.

Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » October 3rd, 2014, 11:12 am

A good mix of player and NPC based would be a good economy, for example in PSO2 the player shop is almost non existent and it is very easy to earn money so said money becomes worthless in the longrun leading to massive player shop price differences (there is a jump of 12k to 100k in some item prices), in FFXIV the money isn't really used for anything worthwhile but the economy is almost 100% player based making it very unstable and causing inflation when items like materia are needed for something like a novus, hell there is a gap of about 200k to people with over 40+mil.

To have a good economy crafting NEEDS to be important in the game but at the same time you need to be able to make money via trading or dungeons with a reasonable amount of profit, too many games fall into the pitfall of making a ton of items untradeable or making crafting basically worthless except fluff (looking at you FFXIV >.>)

Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » October 3rd, 2014, 11:51 am

Maybe someday it'll be possible to have NPCs with varying and competitive buying/selling prices, pseudo-finite supply/money and perhaps the ability to occasionally sell rares that were sold to them.
Desperate for 1 key.

Zalera
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+1

Post by Zalera » November 7th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Squishy wrote:I just hope ToS has a very top notch security. Because I can already see a mass of bots in this game, which will then ultimately ruin the economy.
also known as Adramelk :gawi:

Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » November 7th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Zalera wrote:
Squishy wrote:I just hope ToS has a very top notch security. Because I can already see a mass of bots in this game, which will then ultimately ruin the economy.
also known as another reason why i hate FFXIV, they don't even try to stop the bots

Rothene
Apprentice
Timezone: GMT +10

Post by Rothene » November 7th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Without enough money sink and scaling maintenance costs, inflation is bound to happen. Bots just help expedite the process.

Zalera
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+1

Post by Zalera » November 7th, 2014, 11:03 pm

that's quite a narrow (and secondary) point of view imho. the main impact of bots is to lose gradually legit/dedicated players. botting and cheating spreading in the game shows the community the admins aren't capable to fix or aren't aware of the troubles. or in worst cases, they don't think of those as a real issue :pif:
also known as Adramelk :gawi:

Kunae
Apprentice
Timezone: MT Time

Post by Kunae » November 8th, 2014, 3:27 pm

First to boting..

i agree having this issue in IRO kind of killed it for alot of people.

Second to economy.

Honestly economy is gonna be pretty easy to control. Just be the one that has the rarest Recipes. Easier said then done im sure but we all know it can happen . And im sure later on in the game they will come out with ( God Items ) that will throw a loop into this business again or some sort of super strong equipment that will make your stronger ( of course having to be crafted ) which then means of we go to hunt. If it is anything like IRO at the beginning we should be fine as long as Part 1 will not come heavily into the game
Image One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.

Nyxiology
Beginner
Guild: Sadboys
Timezone: CST

Post by Nyxiology » November 10th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Dragon Nest had one of the best economic filtering systems I've seen in a game. For those not familiar, it was a multi stage process in which you used mid-high quality gear, refined it with the necessary resource and a spot of currency, and then "broke down" the refined item into dust. The dust was then used to buy pouches, which contained items that could safely and without cost upgrade a specific item to a specific refinement level. It could be a guaranteed +7 -> +8 on boots, or an instantly +8 helm from any level (examples), depending on the amount of dust you spent on what type of pouch.

It was a brilliant system that took unwanted gear, overabundant refinement resources, and a bit of currency out of the economy permanently. While not every geode was a big win for you, over time the process was profitable by selling the geodes over the marketplace, where even more currency was removed via the "auction tax." Overall, I feel it was one of the best sinks ever placed in a game.

That being said the economy of ToS will be subject to how much gold is introduced into the economy, how quickly, and what measures there are to remove it permanently, rather than just having it traded around and exponentially grown.

Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » November 10th, 2014, 6:36 pm

Nyxiology wrote:Nyx
While i didn't play too much dragons nest i was seriously impressed with the economy, joining as late as i did i expected mass inflation on items yet when i checked the prices they were reasonable and the economy seemed actually stable for once, more mmos need economy like that im sick of being stuck with shit-tier ever since wow

Kunae
Apprentice
Timezone: MT Time

Post by Kunae » November 11th, 2014, 5:34 am

It is totally up to the players ... economy and prices ... you know supply and demand works just fine as long as nobody tries to fuck with it
Image One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.

Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » November 11th, 2014, 10:30 am

Kunae wrote:It is totally up to the players ... economy and prices ... you know supply and demand works just fine as long as nobody tries to fuck with it
But people WILL, why do you think wow has such inflation? people jack up the price to line thier own pockets, in turn raising the standard price.

Nyxiology
Beginner
Guild: Sadboys
Timezone: CST

Post by Nyxiology » November 11th, 2014, 11:09 pm

Rosenakahara wrote:
Kunae wrote:It is totally up to the players ... economy and prices ... you know supply and demand works just fine as long as nobody tries to fuck with it
But people WILL, why do you think wow has such inflation? people jack up the price to line thier own pockets, in turn raising the standard price.
WoW's biggest issue is that they refuse to hire anti-bot staff or take the issue seriously. Worse yet they have never understood that sinks are only as good as the influx of gold that you allow to be introduced.

Lowering repair costs, removing reforging, dungeon finder tool removing travel time and flight points, and the advent of flying mounts were some of the biggest mistakes they've made because those are the constant means by which gold was removed.

Meanwhile gold is still introduced in super massive quantity through easier, shorter, faster dungeons which even have a gold reward for completing. Quests give more gold than people seem to realize, and they still haven't figured out that giving gold for gear at vendors is an awful idea. Some grey weapons are worth a significant amount of gold even, much less higher quality.

WoW economy is a perfect example of how developers can be at fault for pricing. RO is honestly even worse in terms of gold influx vs sinks.