ToS server speculation

Goldmind
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+30

ToS server speculation

Post by Goldmind » August 16th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Have the developers say if they were going to create just 1 or multiple servers?

For example, in Ragnaok Online, there are hundreds of servers that people can select: aRO, bRO, cRO, appleRO, happyRO, etc etc. There are literally hundreds of worlds. However, in ToS, is there going to be only one singular server called Tree of Savior? Or, are they planning on having multiple just like how I described it for RO? appleTOS, orangeTOS, grapesTOS, etc etc?

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Re: ToS server speculation

Post by Flash » August 16th, 2014, 10:00 pm

They haven't announced any specific server yet but they said that they want to test the connection of foreign players to the korean servers and made a poll where players would like an international server to be located.

It's possible that alls servers will be located in korea but I don't think this will happen. I'm pretty sure we will have server for NA, EU, SEA at least. Other regions will probably have to choose one of those regional servers except maybe for some regions where the game is very popular (could be PH or Japan).

Vrenna
Apprentice

Post by Vrenna » August 16th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Goldmind wrote:Have the developers say if they were going to create just 1 or multiple servers?

For example, in Ragnaok Online, there are hundreds of servers that people can select: aRO, bRO, cRO, appleRO, happyRO, etc etc. There are literally hundreds of worlds. However, in ToS, is there going to be only one singular server called Tree of Savior? Or, are they planning on having multiple just like how I described it for RO? appleTOS, orangeTOS, grapesTOS, etc etc?
I guess if they actually want to get some money and fight against piracy, they wont do what you said.

Goldmind
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+30

Post by Goldmind » August 16th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Mmmmm. I see, I see.

I wasn't sure so I wanted to ask. It does make sense to lay out only regional servers. Making private servers would be pretty bad.

Vrenna
Apprentice

Post by Vrenna » August 16th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Goldmind wrote:Mmmmm. I see, I see.

I wasn't sure so I wanted to ask. It does make sense to lay out only regional servers. Making private servers would be pretty bad.
I know the ammount of private servers of Ragnarok Online is so absurd it makes you question if that is actually allright then.

Nope, private servers of Ragnarok Online ARE PIRACY, the right name is actually pirate servers. Private servers are just a cute way to call it and cover reality. :no1:

Laima
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+8

Post by Laima » August 17th, 2014, 6:33 am

They will set up servers in other countries if the cbt shows that there are regions with large playerbases suffering connection issues. At least that's what a previous interview hints.
Desperate for 1 key.

faeo_mavklas
Apprentice
Guild: TBA
Timezone: -8
Favorite Class: Hackapell
Server: Klaipeda

Post by faeo_mavklas » August 17th, 2014, 7:08 am

Vrenna wrote:

I know the ammount of private servers of Ragnarok Online is so absurd it makes you question if that is actually allright then.

Nope, private servers of Ragnarok Online ARE PIRACY, the right name is actually pirate servers. Private servers are just a cute way to call it and cover reality. :no1:
I disagree. Some people actually do make "private" servers just for their friends to enjoy. I find it reasonably justified as long as they're not trying make money or any form of benefit off someone elses work. Unfortunately the sad truth is MOST of the private servers are actually out to make money so your term only applies to the latter.

On to topic, I actually did hope that it would be on one server but with a lot of sub-servers and channels enough to host all the players around the world. I like the thought of being able to play with Chinese, Japanese, and Korean folks when I'm from the U.S myself. It would be awesome if there was a built in automatic translator so that we can communicate with one another without the language barrier stopping us but that might be a bit too futuristic. BUT having only one server is highly unlikely. There are just too much problems. :shy:

Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » August 17th, 2014, 7:33 am

You could actually hook the game chat to an outside translator like Google or Bing. The real problem is that non-human translators are far from perfect.
Desperate for 1 key.

Vrenna
Apprentice

Post by Vrenna » August 17th, 2014, 1:15 pm

faeo_mavklas wrote:
Vrenna wrote:

I disagree. Some people actually do make "private" servers just for their friends to enjoy. I find it reasonably justified as long as they're not trying make money or any form of benefit off someone elses work.
I disagree.
That's also piracy if you did not buy the game and/or the publishers did not allowed such use.
You finding it reasonable wont change the fact that it is considered piracy.
Not that I'm saying to not do it, I've played in Pirate Servers for a looooooooooong time and didn't cared at all (because the vanilla version always sucked for me), but I'm aware that I've used piracy all the time.

Also, no need to worry about a language barrier, the international language of the human world in our age is named "English". Whoever wants to speak with anyone from the entire world should know that and should learn that language. Of course not everyone wants to and I guess you want to speak with these people too... then we get a language barrier... :sob: (why u make so many languages humanity?)

Anyway, in this case we would need an... international server. So anyone that goes in it should (I know some dont) know english. As for the regional servers... no solution here. Just like Laima said, non-human translators are far from perfect. You can get a few fine translations depending on the languange, but most of them are really bad... sadly we don't have a magic for this (yet).

I do hope we get International servers. I've played a game called Dofus once, a french-flash-platform based game. A really interesting experience, a style of gameplay I haven't seen in MMOs yet... BUT the game only has region servers, and those region servers are region locked. So you can only play with people that speak your language or, depending on how huge your country is, only from your country. So when I wanted to play with friends from outside my country, I simply couldn't.
I found that segregation system to be insulting and rage quit the game.

Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » August 18th, 2014, 2:52 am

Vrenna wrote:why u make so many languages humanity?
babylon pls

The only time I saw people avoid not speaking English in an international server's primary chat channel was when it enforced strict penalties for refusing, i.e. making that character literally unplayable until a certain amount of online time.
Desperate for 1 key.

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Post by Flash » August 18th, 2014, 3:33 am

I think it would be enough to mute players.

1st time warning.
2nd time 24h hours public chat mute. (yes 24 hours is long but you're still able to play)
3rd time 7 days public chat mute.
4th time permanten public chat mute.

These simple rules would make it much better but still won't hurt the publisher because it's unlikely to use players by a chat mute. I'd actually apply this not only to foreign languages but also to all that other annoying stuff like flame wars, insulting people, arguments in public chat and so on... I guess the public chat could actually a nice place if these rules were enforced... ^^

Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » August 18th, 2014, 4:43 am

It would really be a nice place. The only annoying part is the people who rub the rules in your face. Moreso if they act like they're above the rules (e.g. someone who reports heated arguments, then forces their own opinions into everyone's throat and calls it a "civilized discussion"), even if they won't admit it. Ugh. Fortunately, this only happens when the server's population is too low.
Desperate for 1 key.

Xenitic
Newcomer

Post by Xenitic » September 19th, 2014, 11:08 am

faeo_mavklas wrote:
Vrenna wrote:

I disagree. Some people actually do make "private" servers just for their friends to enjoy. I find it reasonably justified as long as they're not trying make money or any form of benefit off someone elses work. Unfortunately the sad truth is MOST of the private servers are actually out to make money so your term only applies to the latter.

On to topic, I actually did hope that it would be on one server but with a lot of sub-servers and channels enough to host all the players around the world. I like the thought of being able to play with Chinese, Japanese, and Korean folks when I'm from the U.S myself. It would be awesome if there was a built in automatic translator so that we can communicate with one another without the language barrier stopping us but that might be a bit too futuristic. BUT having only one server is highly unlikely. There are just too much problems. :shy:
The problem lies in the fact that Ragnarok Online isn't really a normal MMORPG but actually more similar to games like diablo 3 with mmorpg elements. So a lot of people actually prefered to play the game with a selected few people, but making up for lack of economy with much higher droprates.

Mr.Nova
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: EST (GMT+4)
Favorite Class: Templar

Post by Mr.Nova » September 19th, 2014, 4:18 pm

I was pretty sure Ragnarok distributed it's game information for private servers .-.

Perhaps things have changed since I've played it though >.o

As for ToS, I'm hoping they won't do strict regions and have some sort of International server, otherwise I might possibly play the SEA server, since I plan on moving to Japan within the next couple of years.

I don't wanna lose my peoples! >.<
TOSBase Chat!
Discord Channel - IRC Channel

Ramen
Beginner
Timezone: UTC -5

Post by Ramen » September 20th, 2014, 2:56 am

Mr.Nova wrote:I was pretty sure Ragnarok distributed it's game information for private servers .-.

As for ToS, I'm hoping they won't do strict regions and have some sort of International server, otherwise I might possibly play the SEA server, since I plan on moving to Japan within the next couple of years.

Actually, kRO never does anything like that. If you want their content you have to pay. Back during the alpha or beta days, certain fans got pissed off about something, hacked kRO's servers and made off with all the information. Last I heard, piracy is not something that is condoned by legit gaming companies.

Mr.Nova
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: EST (GMT+4)
Favorite Class: Templar

Post by Mr.Nova » September 20th, 2014, 3:03 am

Ramen wrote: Actually, kRO never does anything like that. If you want their content you have to pay. Back during the alpha or beta days, certain fans got pissed off about something, hacked kRO's servers and made off with all the information. Last I heard, piracy is not something that is condoned by legit gaming companies.
Was referring to iRO actually.

Korea's always been fairly stingy with it's games from my experience.
TOSBase Chat!
Discord Channel - IRC Channel

Icystare
Wiki Manager
Timezone: GMT -5
Favorite Class: Pardoner

Post by Icystare » September 20th, 2014, 5:06 am

Mr.Nova wrote:I was pretty sure Ragnarok distributed it's game information for private servers .-.

Gravity has never distribute their game information for private servers ever. Right after they game went out of OBT and had a p2play slapped on the people were like "Fuck this shit" and started to develop emulators that mimic kRO.
YARE (Yet Another Ragnarok Emulator) boast one of the biggest RO communities at the time and got shutdown due to Gravity's threat to throw a lawsuit at them. Another project called eAthena(the RO we know today) pretty much popped up right after the shutdown of YARE. eAthena was open sourced and Aegis (official client) was not. Despite Aegis being leaked all over the place, many private server owners(such as myself) didn't care much for it since eAthena was much more superior across the board.
I forgot to throw in that eAthena was doing wasn't legal either and was actually in the area to be prosecuted by Gravity but they did nothing and most likely just gave in due to the fact another emulator would just pop back up again.

Phonetics
Newcomer
Timezone: EST

Post by Phonetics » September 26th, 2014, 10:00 pm

From all I know, the servers are located in Korea, which isn't the optimal place for alot of western countries. I hope ToS has servers in NA so the ping would be much lower, since I live in Canada, I get around 300-400 ping when playing games on Korean servers.
The shadows consume all in time...

SADoncev
Newcomer
Favorite Class: Archer

Post by SADoncev » October 26th, 2015, 9:40 pm

still only one server? Laima? :?:

is a bug? game updates yet? or will it be just one? :hmm:

thx \o

Delita
Newcomer

Post by Delita » March 20th, 2016, 3:23 am

I suppose it makes sense that if the founder's server is really just one server than it will be in Korea. (Or even a few servers but still in Korea) Hopefully this wont cause too many lag issues with NA players. Really excited.
Most people have to act the roles given to them. Then again, most of them haven't even noticed they're acting.