Direction of the story

Noctureon
Apprentice
Guild: Root
Timezone: GMT +10

Direction of the story

Post by Noctureon » July 29th, 2015, 7:31 am

I've been polishing some translations, and I'm getting hints of where the story is going.

And ooohh booyy.. This story is gonna be dark. There are heirlooms covered in blood, rebellions hundreds years ago, military theft, poisoned villages, treachery.

The cute artstyle doesn't mean a cute story, I suppose, and I think that's good.

From you guys who have been following the devs for a while and those who read snippets, tidbits and translation notes, what kind of story do you think this game would have? Do you think it's going to be "YOU are the savior of the world, specifically" or "All these people are trying to save the world, you're not special"? Is it going to be light hearted or dark? What do you think?

Noah
Beginner

Re: Direction of the story

Post by Noah » July 29th, 2015, 8:24 am

In the grim darkness of ToS world there is only... what?

No surprise, actually. There were many hints that ToS story won't be as bright as the game looks. I personally hate spoilers so I don't read translations related to main storyline but if.

If the game world appears to be a bloody hell filled with death and treachery and all those cute-looking poi~poi~shouting boys and girls are actually fighting for a small glimpse of hope over a vast land of gloom and desperation...

It would be AWESOME. Was I the Dark Lord in my previous life?

And the consept of "you are the one of many" sure fits the MMO the most, so no Dovakins, no Neos and no The Chosen Ones please. Over 9000 of Dovakins lmao.

Noctureon
Apprentice

Post by Noctureon » July 29th, 2015, 8:55 am

I totally agree... I hate being the "THE CHOSEN HERO OF AWESOMENESS" while I'm wearing a cardboard box and behind me there's a Lvl 9999 Master Paladin with a flaming cape and a talking halo playing cards. I want everyone to be included, it's more immersive that way.

And a darker story is a nice change of pace! :lv:

Icystare
Wiki Manager
Timezone: GMT -5
Favorite Class: Pardoner

Post by Icystare » July 30th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Considering TOS helmed by the same (not all) of the original Ragnarok Online dev team, we can expect a LOT of dark undertones in the development of the story. Some examples from RO is the Kiel Hyre's and Rachel Sanctuary quest arcs. If we were to use Granado Espada as base, we'll be expecting A LOT of revenge/backstabbing fuelled plot lines with a side of evil cult that's actually bad ass and not useless (until you main hero their asses into the next chapter.)

avantius
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Centurion

Post by avantius » July 31st, 2015, 3:40 pm

I LOVED Kiehl Hyre's storyline/quests :rice: Wonder if we'll get anything similar in ToS. Just really hope there is more "openness" to it, not like, a story is located somewhere and after done you pretty much never hear of it again xd

Dknight
Newcomer

Post by Dknight » August 2nd, 2015, 6:23 pm

That's good to know. The art style with a dark theme sounds great.

Do we know where the name of the game comes from? Any reference to what this "tree" is or who or what this "savior" is? And what will it be saving?

Too many questions, I know... Just hoping it is more than the usual "we are the saviors and we're saving the world from total destruction." :heh:

Noctureon
Apprentice

Post by Noctureon » August 2nd, 2015, 11:16 pm

Dknight wrote:That's good to know. The art style with a dark theme sounds great.

Do we know where the name of the game comes from? Any reference to what this "tree" is or who or what this "savior" is? And what will it be saving?

Too many questions, I know... Just hoping it is more than the usual "we are the saviors and we're saving the world from total destruction." :heh:
No not yet, aside from a literal tree sprouting up in one of the locations in-game. Might be an allusion to Yggdrasil or some other holy tree.

Dknight
Newcomer

Post by Dknight » August 12th, 2015, 12:52 am

Well, as it turns out after playing the beta, you are indeed the savior. lol

But interestingly enough I finished lv 50+ past the Tenet Chapel arc and there has not been a mention of the tree so far that I know of. I know we've only seen a tiny bit of the overall story with those tablets of revelation first.

But it is peaking my interest nonetheless.