Updates on the International Test

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Updates on the International Test

Post by Flash » March 6th, 2015, 5:15 pm

imcGAMES released a new post on the Tree of Savior Dev Blog.
Hello. I am Hakkyu Kim, CEO of imcGAMES.

We have been silent about our International Test Version for some time, so we will share you our current process with our overseas fans.
▲ English Version (under development)
We are currently working on English translations inside, but since there are too many texts, it will take too much time if we focus on accuracy.

However, we wanted to open the international test server as quickly as possible. Also we didn’t want to outsource translations to 3rd party who does not have deep understanding of the game so we came up with a new idea called OTC (open text client)

The basic idea of OTC is to put all in-game text data into different language folders in the client so that it will be easier for our fans to see and edit them directly.

To explain briefly about it,
(inside the folder)
If a language pack is put inside the folder,
(selection screen in the game)
Players will be able to select a language pack within the game and they can also change to different languages real-time.

Each language pack contains Unicode plain texts that are in .tsv format. (Tab Seperated Values)
(tsv example screenshot)
Inside the file, text ID and translated language texts (foreign language) are matched like the above,
When these texts are modified, then the modified texts will be applied in the game.

When you find awkwardly translated texts in the game, just locate the cursor on the texts and press Ctrl+Shift with a mouse click. (These could be changed in the future) The editor program will pop up and it will take you to the texts automatically. When you modify the texts from the editor and save them, the client will reload only the modified texts automatically. Each folder contains the fonts that are adequate for different languages so other languages besides Korean and English can also be applied in the game if there are other language data inside each folder.

Our plan is to distribute the client which you won’t have a big problem playing the game so the English texts in the game may feel awkward at the beginning. However, we will receive better translations and expressions from the testers and continue to apply them in the game. It would have been the best to provide the completed language packs from the beginning, but we believe that we will shorten our time to prepare for the International Test by utilizing this method. Furthermore, when communities that use other languages besides English submit new language packs to us, we will officially distribute them as client patches after going through our examination and verification process internally.

For the purpose of sharing translated texts between our fans and imcGAMES and to submit and manage those texts, we will first create OTC Repository (such as github.com, not tested yet though) and disclose our texts to our fans. We hope that OTC becomes an efficient way for our non-English speaking fans to enjoy TOS in their native languages sooner than any other ways.

We are currently undertaking various tests to decide where to locate the servers for the international testable version.

Possible candidates are Amazon AWS and a few overseas service providers. We are looking for the most optimized solution so that we could secure stable Pings for all our fans. Furthermore, for our overseas fans to register securely and conveniently, we are currently developing a feature to register via Facebook and Google+ accounts. By the time when we are finished developing the feature, we think that we will be ready to open up the test server.

We think that one server location will not be enough to cover all territories, so after reviewing our first test results, it is very likely that we will decide on our 2nd server location.

We haven’t decided the exact date for the International Test, but we think it will be after CBT2 in Korea. The detailed schedules for CBT2 in Korea will soon be decided.

We welcome your questions or opinions.
Source: Updates on the International Test
kuroioni
Newcomer
Timezone: GMT

Re: Updates on the International Test

Post by kuroioni » March 6th, 2015, 5:32 pm

Why that's some seriously brilliant news, if I've ever seen any!

It's so refreshing to see this kind of strategy, I wholeheartedly hope it'll go as planned. Especially that they will need quite a bit of manpower, if they truly do intend to receive whole translation packs, or even minor fixes, from fans.

However, if they do pull it off, I think I'd be more than happy to help as well. I'm really starting to get hopeful here, heh, even though after years of founder packs and false promises and the hype and whatnot I promised myself I wouldn't any more.

Would really love to know when the international tests will be planned for.
Last edited by kuroioni on March 6th, 2015, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » March 6th, 2015, 5:34 pm

I think it will probably still take a couple of month but the International Test but be closer than many people feared :)
Star.E.Knight
Apprentice
Guild: Dream Revolution
Timezone: GMT -7
Favorite Class: Shepherd

Post by Star.E.Knight » March 6th, 2015, 9:35 pm

Sweet! That makes me sooooo excited to hear! I really like the idea on how the text works in game. at least this way, since it can be done by fans, it wont be censored or changed to where it doesn't even have the same meaning or story. *Cough cough* Anime *cough cough*
Never argue with a Noob.... They only bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
Mr.Nova
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: EST (GMT+4)
Favorite Class: Templar

Post by Mr.Nova » March 6th, 2015, 10:41 pm

Yeah I saw that too.

Looks like it'll probably end up rolling out around the summer?

Wondering if they wouldn't be better getting it before the end though.

All those big name titles usually drop around August etc.
TOSBase Chat!
Discord Channel - IRC Channel
Swamp
Apprentice
Guild: Collision
Timezone: CET

Post by Swamp » March 7th, 2015, 2:49 am

looks like i might play with an english client during the next beta :D
avantius
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Centurion

Post by avantius » March 7th, 2015, 7:59 pm

Awesome news! Was getting worried with the lack of recent updates, but now it seems actual translations may not be too far off: :rice:
Expiredmilk
Beginner

Post by Expiredmilk » March 8th, 2015, 3:04 am

This is all happening much quicker than expected Image
Iden
Apprentice

Post by Iden » March 8th, 2015, 9:54 am

There seems to be quite a lot of quests, hope this won't be turning into a theme park. Guess it'll be fine as long as there won't be any gear rewards from questing..
Ziggy
Newcomer
Timezone: CET +1

Post by Ziggy » March 8th, 2015, 12:33 pm

What about the trolls translatetor? When somebody wants to be funny and translate nonsense. Than everybody approve it and it stays in the game? xD
Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » March 8th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Ziggy wrote:What about the trolls translatetor? When somebody wants to be funny and translate nonsense. Than everybody approve it and it stays in the game? xD
Well there needs to be someone who checks every translation before it gets accepted as new oficial translation ^^.
Shima
Beginner
Timezone: UTC+8

Post by Shima » March 11th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Holy crap, based Kim letting the fans translate his game. There hasn't been this kind of good gaming news since ever! It could mean that this site can produce a part of the official translation for TOS in the future!
Aries
Apprentice

Post by Aries » March 24th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Nice approach. Sounds like it's coming along nicely. Can't wait! :rice:
Michio
Apprentice
Guild: N/A
Timezone: GMT+8

Post by Michio » March 26th, 2015, 2:08 am

Ziggy wrote:What about the trolls translatetor? When somebody wants to be funny and translate nonsense. Than everybody approve it and it stays in the game? xD
So you go to talk with npc and the first sentence will be like
"Sup Homie, Whatcha doin here?"
"Dawg, you wana talk like this and you ain't gon' get no where, naw go and hunt me some quest item, give u bucks for rewards" :slur:
Mr.Nova
Donator
Timezone: EST (GMT+4)
Favorite Class: Templar

Post by Mr.Nova » March 30th, 2015, 5:57 pm

Michio wrote: So you go to talk with npc and the first sentence will be like
"Dawg, you wana talk like this and you ain't gon' get no where, naw go and hunt me some quest item, give u bucks for rewards" :slur:
No :I

Bad Michio *punch* :bawi:
TOSBase Chat!
Discord Channel - IRC Channel
Satorichu
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Kabbalist

Post by Satorichu » March 31st, 2015, 12:30 am

Michio wrote:
So you go to talk with npc and the first sentence will be like

You killed me with this. I can't even(nor odd). :heh:
Nox
Newcomer

Post by Nox » April 21st, 2015, 3:31 pm

OMg! only been gone for a month!! now they have freaking english! trans!! oh yea!! please soon :3