1st CBT Summary

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

1st CBT Summary

Post by Flash » January 19th, 2015, 5:10 am

The 1st korean Closed Beta Test has come to an end. I was able to play the game for a couple of hours and want to write a little summary based on my own experience and what I've seen in videos.

Controls
The controls were heavily discussed since imcGames announced that the game will be played with the keyboard instead of the mouse. Even though it's possible to move by clicking in the barracks, once you enter the real world the mouse is only for the user interface. The character is moved by pressing the arrow keys. If you want to jump you don't have to press Space as it was said in one of the earlier Dev Blog post but by pressing X. The basic attack is still used by pressing Z which makes easy to use both keys. I don't know what happed to the 2nd Hand Attack that was planned to be used on the X key but maybe it got removed (I guess too few classes acutally used it and maybe it wasn't nice to use). Usually you will always attack A) the nearest enemy if you are a range class like Archer and Wizard or B) all enemies in your attack range if you are a melee class. If you want to lock a certain target you have to press and hold the Ctrl key. This feels pretty uncomfortable if you use this feature over time. It might be a better idea to use the Ctrl key as a toggle (maybe using something similar to the old /noctrl command). Pressing Space will turn you character to you current target which is a good feature because otherwise you shoot your attacks / skills into the nirvana :D.
Gameplay
Even though walking around and attack by using the keyboard feels pretty weird in the beginning it actually works pretty well and you get used to it. I had some delay and lag issues due to my distance to the servers but the gameplay still felt smooth. Monsters can be killed easily and respawn fast. Tere are many of them on the maps so you'll often kill them when you pass them just for fun. I never felt bored because I had to kill X monster of type A and afterwards Y monsters of type B. The quest are usually about objectives on the map instead. So it's your own choice if you level while doing the quest or if you rather go a certain location to farm some monsters.

Boss Mechanics
There are some complaints that boss fights are too easy and boring. I agree that the first bosses are not very challenging. Those bosses are killed in instaced areas by yourself so they need to be killable without getting healed so it's normal that these bosses don't have auto attacks. However the boss fights would probably feel more dynamic if the boss monster would attack faster and more often. Those boss monsters also summons adds which makes their boss fight more enternaining even though those add often seem to be a little weak. Hopefully we'll see some changes to the boss mechanics in the next Beta or etleast some more interesting boss fights in the high level dungeons.
Real Money Advantages
In this CBT there were already a few features that probably will be available for real money once the game is done. For 1 NXP players are able to ressurect instantly at the position they died. While this is only a comfort feature on field maps as you don't have to walk back there it can be a problem during boss fights. If this would be also possible in instanced party boss fights it could become P2W. So let's hope this feature won't work for those fights.
It was also possible to buy a stat reset for NXP. I personally don't see problems with this as it's nothing that will give you an advantage. (As long as players get a free reset after big balance changes)

That's it for the moment. We will keep posting information until the next CBT starts because it's too much to put it into a single news. We also have some video footage that we will start uploading soon, so stay tuned to our Youtube Channel ;)
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Re: 1st CBT Summary

Post by Rosenakahara » January 19th, 2015, 11:18 am

*sigh* i know how this goes, first its pay for a res, then its pay for a tiny stat boost but dont worry you can get that in game, then its pay for the best weapons ect.
why cant companies either go b2p or keep microtransactions to cosmetic shit like tf2 does?
there goes any and all hype i had for this game, mmos are dead, the best one out right now is FFXIV and that says a whole fucking lot about the market.
FakeLord
Beginner

Post by FakeLord » January 19th, 2015, 11:33 am

As far as I know, you could also buy 50% CDR for 10 minutes for 6 Nexon points. It think that the 4 NXP item gives unlimited stamina for a while. Stat resets were 10 NXP and immediate revives are 1 NXP.

I don't know if we'll have the same cash shop and how much those NXP would be, but I'd rather see fashion in the cash shop. Recolors would be nice I think. Pretty much everyone would want one and it wouldn't ruin balance.
Hemo
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: UTC+3
Favorite Class: Cryomancer

Post by Hemo » January 19th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Rosenakahara wrote: the best one out right now is FFXIV and that says a whole fucking lot about the market.
FFXIV? how many mmos have you played? there are a few good ones.. for example gw2 which is buytoplay.. balance isnt that good but its waaaaay better than FFXIV in all aspects unless you're a fan of the franchise... thats just my opinion though :no1:
made by wangqr from deviantart
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » January 19th, 2015, 4:13 pm

^ i have major problems with the endgame of gw2, like even more so than in FFXIV.
i think both games have good world maps, gw2's is better than FFXIV's but something about gw2's combat is just not fun to me as opposed to FFXIV's which while far too simple and SE refuse to change it is still fun enough to play.
the problem for both games just start at endgame and dear god when i hit level 80 in gw2 i was so dissapointed, fractals cant really be called "dungeons" and the gear grind is just bleh, no matter how much effort and time i put in i have to wait x amount of days for that new shiny piece of armour i want, no thanks.
Vrenna
Apprentice

Post by Vrenna » January 19th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Gotta agree with FFXIV being better than GW2.

Guild Wars 2 unique obvious features make the game... "perfect", but that "perfection" of systems that turn your life easier inside the game doesn't work to make it more fun. Rather, I'd say GW2 is quite poor in universe and immersion designs, I don't like the universe of GW2 at all, and having the game handle everything for you turns you into a zombie faster than other games.

Also, there are a few systems that GW2 is supposed to excel when compared to other games, but it isn't better than FFXIV actually, example: Crafting. (Undeniable)

Now for combat, I can agree on people being divided on this. I do like FFXIV's combat better, since I can't stand when GW2 combat gets too insane and too tiring, and it happens a lot, but then again FFXIV's combat is more limited (somehow it feels cooler though!). Then again, after thinking a bit about this I realized that GW2 combat is more random than FFXIV. In GW2 is easy to be in a situation where just spamming anything will do the job, united with those huge cooldowns, sometimes fighting is brainless, even your hands find the job to be unworthy of their memorization. While in FFXIV skill rotations matter quite a bit, mostly for my main classes of Lancer and Brawler, hitting things in the wrong sequence can be reeeally bad. But were we to talk about best combat system I would end up summoning Onigiri as the best one, so meh.

But I guess the thing that FFXIV trully excels, is in Class change. With a single character you can, anytime, change to any combat class, crafting class, or gathering class available in the entire game, by just pressing a button, without a relevant cooldown. This is hard to not have after you taste it, just like people said about a few features of GW2.

In general, I believe that in theory GW2 is better than any game around (even if by just a little like FFXIV), but in practice you can find tons of other games that are actually more enjoyable than GW2 (being FFXIV way more enjoyable than GW2 for me), and that is the most important attribute of a game.

Now for Tree of Savior, I do hope that the failures in its design do not damage the fun the game provides, and we are seeing quite a few failures already. Gotta see how this CBT will affect the game in the future.
Star.E.Knight
Apprentice
Guild: Dream Revolution
Timezone: GMT -7
Favorite Class: Shepherd

Post by Star.E.Knight » January 19th, 2015, 7:37 pm

As for the topic, I like what i'm hearing with the exception of the item shop.... I think the only game that has ever gotten that right was Runes of Magic... but I know this is a closed beta test and most of the time things change a lot before open beta and then again once it launches, so until it launches I'm not going to worry to much about it and just hope they don't do anything stupid..

On a side note about the controls, it sounds like i'm going to be setting up my Xpadder :ok: ... I'm so bad at life with my keyboard controls :sob:

Anyway, on the note of FFXIV and GW2, I dont like either of those, and think that Wildstar is better than both even with their problems. I at least still have hope for Wildstar unlike those other two.
Never argue with a Noob.... They only bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
Swamp
Apprentice
Guild: Collision
Timezone: CET

Post by Swamp » January 19th, 2015, 9:16 pm

Star.E.Knight wrote: Anyway, on the note of FFXIV and GW2, I dont like either of those, and think that Wildstar is better than both even with their problems. I at least still have hope for Wildstar unlike those other two.

Oh god, i love you!

Wildstar is so underrated! Yet its soo good !

Enjoy this image i took :)
Mr.Nova
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: EST (GMT+4)
Favorite Class: Templar

Post by Mr.Nova » January 19th, 2015, 9:29 pm

Nice info :O

Good to know!
TOSBase Chat!
Discord Channel - IRC Channel
DJKero
Newcomer

Post by DJKero » January 20th, 2015, 4:00 am

Star.E.Knight wrote:As for the topic, I like what i'm hearing with the exception of the item shop.... I think the only game that has ever gotten that right was Runes of Magic... but I know this is a closed beta test and most of the time things change a lot before open beta and then again once it launches, so until it launches I'm not going to worry to much about it and just hope they don't do anything stupid..

On a side note about the controls, it sounds like i'm going to be setting up my Xpadder :ok: ... I'm so bad at life with my keyboard controls :sob:

Anyway, on the note of FFXIV and GW2, I dont like either of those, and think that Wildstar is better than both even with their problems. I at least still have hope for Wildstar unlike those other two.
You have 4 directions, 2 basic actions, a target button and 20 hotkeys...

Better to practice your keyboard mastery... :P
Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » January 20th, 2015, 4:08 am

DJKero wrote:You have 4 directions, 2 basic actions, a target button and 20 hotkeys...

Indeed. I think it would be fun to play the game using a controller but it will be almost impossible to use all skills on a controller ^^
noori1
Beginner

Post by noori1 » January 20th, 2015, 10:03 am

Heya there! first of All I want to say congratz for any of you who made it to play CBT :ok: :ok:

Okay,so, before CBT, I was excited to look what kind of game is this ToS. After I saw the CBT Video from every gamer out there who played and posted it in youtube, the first thought came in my mind was "this game so boring", pointed in its boss fight. Other than that, like its movement, skills, attack patterns, it's good, but still need some upgrading. The boss fight was too easy, you can solo every boss if in every boss fight, the boss move and attack like that. I think it will be much better if the boss attack pattern are faster and more variation, so there's challenge in there and you will think that you need group to fight the boss.

For the movement, I don't know, is it just me or I saw the movement wasn't too smooth...like its run and walk..maybe too slow? or too "robotic"? I dunno, I just don't kind of like it. :hmm:

I agree with some people said that the "jump-attack" pattern should be removed. YES! for me, it's kind ruined sense of RPG in my mind...I have image in my mind that when fighting boss in group, we stand in the formation, use our skill, working together but not jumping rabbit all in the screen. In another perspective, it makes games too easy (maybe)
Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » January 20th, 2015, 10:46 am

The movement seemed smooth for me even though there were some latency issues. I'm also pretty sure that this jump attack is some kind of bug and will get fixed.

About the bosses. As I already said in the news I agree that those are too easy. Hopefully they'll just have to change some numbers to make them more exciting. I actually liked the bossed and their attacks. I'm pretty sure the bosses were actually fun if they were a bit faster. It seems like all bosses have some kind of idle state after they use a skill. This is probably to prevent the spamming skills nonstop but at the moment they just stand around doing nothing. If this idle time is removed and the bossed use this time to walk towards the players and use basic attacks and the movement + attacks speed gets increased i'm pretty sure it will be a lot more challengig.

Most of the easly bossed are supossed to be killed alone so they have to be 99% dodgeable but party bossed could also get some unavoidable damage skills to increase the party interaction. I confident that imcGames will be able to make those changes - maybe even until the next CBT.
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » January 20th, 2015, 5:11 pm

"make the bosses harder" hah! in this, market gamers want everything handed to them right now with no effort, why do you think even when bosses could have been hard they get nerfed into oblivion? (see every boss minus the second coil ones at endgame in final fantasy XIV)
they could do the smart long term thing but this was it appeals to the super hyper casual gamers that will leave after completing the game's story anyway, and what is sad is they have become the majority in gaming. i really WANT the bosses to get better but im not expecting them to.
Swamp
Apprentice

Post by Swamp » January 20th, 2015, 6:17 pm

if you want nice boss encounters - try Wildstar cough
Star.E.Knight
Apprentice
Guild: Dream Revolution
Timezone: GMT -7
Favorite Class: Shepherd

Post by Star.E.Knight » January 24th, 2015, 1:07 am

Flash wrote:
DJKero wrote:You have 4 directions, 2 basic actions, a target button and 20 hotkeys...

Indeed. I think it would be fun to play the game using a controller but it will be almost impossible to use all skills on a controller ^^
Not impossible to fit all of that on a controller :) With my Tera setup, I have my movement Keys, Camera Movements/Cursors movement, 2 basic actions, a jump button, interact button, vent button, and 20 skill keys :) I'm sure it may take me a bit to set it up so its comfortable to use, but its do-able :) Besides, I don't have complete functionality of my left hand to be skillful with the keyboard. :sob:
Never argue with a Noob.... They only bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
Fero
Beginner

Post by Fero » January 24th, 2015, 10:23 am

wut?
Fero Luckless
Albe
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+1

Post by Albe » January 24th, 2015, 12:11 pm

I wonder if it will be playable with a hand on arrows plus a nostromo 52, or with the n52 alone using the 8way pad even if it's tiring
Swamp
Apprentice

Post by Swamp » January 24th, 2015, 1:27 pm

since you can rebind your keys, you probably can use that device :P
avantius
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Centurion

Post by avantius » January 24th, 2015, 8:02 pm

As a future Centurion enthusiast (and from the debates I've read) I've got mixed thoughts about the long-cooldowns that most skills seemed to have in the CBT.

For one I do think combat should be more active, while still keeping regular attacks functional (aka: not a joke) and not turning it into spamming skill-rotations or mindless auto-attacking. Long cooldowns could give importance to the the skills you actually use and give them a more tactical value, but as some have said it seems to make combat sluggish. Short cooldowns might turn combat into skill rotations, pretty much forgoing the need for regular attacks.

It is too early to make assumptions but it is true there's still lots of content to discover and more skills to gain as you level, so the long-cooldowns may be offset by having more actual skills to use.

Now, why does this concern me? Well, Centurion's skills are based around formations done with other players, which would most likely require at least some degree of coordination (Hey! even just having people actually STAY in formation may be an issue!). If cooldowns are short, people will want to go trigger-happy spamming their skills, than staying in formation (unless you can use most skills while in formation and stay in it...? but that seems unlikely).

While I see lots of potential issues with these formations and coordinating with others, trying to turn myself away from it, every time I think about it I am just enamored at the possible tactical/coordinated development a party could have. Knowing when to break formations to avoid a powerful boss attack? or split to use the needed skills and rejoin formations, that not counting each of the formation's effects.

tldr; I'm probably ranting at the wrong place. :swt: