Preview of the 1st CBT of Tree of Savior!

Bluegale
Translator
Timezone: UTC+09:00

Preview of the 1st CBT of Tree of Savior!

Post by Bluegale » January 12th, 2015, 8:09 am

Hello, everyone.

This is Bluegale here who recently became a translator for tosbase.com, and I will be bringing some of more translated articles in addition to our site admin Flash's.

This particular article is not from the official ToS website but instead from http://www.thisisgame.com, one of the most prominent game webzines in South Korea.
It still contains nice summary and good amount of info on how ToS would look and feel like during the 1st CBT so I'd like to share before the CBT starts!

Hope you guys enjoy!

=========================================================

Brand new title from Kim, Hakkyu division of Ragnarok!

Preview of the 1st CBT of Tree of Savior.

Twenty eight (28) classes revealed!

Cute and charming graphics and quest system with ample amount of freedom.

<Tree of Savior>, the brand new title directed and developed by Mr. Kim Hakkyu, famous of <Ragnarok Online> and <Granado Espada>, will have the first closed beta test (CBT) on upcoming Jan. 15th 2015. This is the second time the game will be revealed to the general public since the FGT (Focused Group Test) held in Feb. of last year.

<Tree of Savior>, which appeared as <Project R1> in 2011, has been gathering a lot of attention with its cute and charming graphics that reminds of <Ragnarok Online>. <Ragnarok Online> is one of the first generation of 'Korean Wave Games,' which gathered 60 million users worldwide. Along with eighty (80) character classes, class change system that expands all the way into the 10th tier and dungeons with massive size, <Tree of Savior> has been under development aiming to retain just as ample amount of freedom the <Ragnarok Online> had provided to the users.

The first CBT will be held for total of four (4) days specifically focusing on the stability and direction of the game. Twenty eight (28) classes will be provided from the total of eighty (80) classes from four (4) jobs, and testers will be able to experience the general notions of storytelling, control, combat and character growth. It is only a few days prior to the 1st CBT and here we have gathered various information about much-anticipated <Tree of Savior> revealed to us so far. /Thisisgame.com Reporter Song, Ye-won.

* Cute and charming graphics of the father of <Ragnarok Online> Kim Hakkyu.

First time you see <Tree of Savior>, the game stands out with its cute and distinctive 2D art style. When the game was first revealed, Director Kim mentioned that "I started developing the game thinking if I don't make, no one would make games with cute graphics any more," emphasizing the 'cuteness' and 'friendliness' within the game.

The game took the top-view perspective that reveals much detail of characters' facial expression in order to provide the friendly feeling. The characters we see in the game are the results of five-step process of developing 3D modeling based on original 2D art and then converting the 3D modeling back into 2D frame with all the post-process polish. Director Kim explained that the developers have devoted much time into characters, developing for half year to be short or several years for complicated characters that took more time.
Besides the characters, the background art that reminds of various cultures around the globe is also impressive. Developers at IMC Games have traveled to Lithuania, Turkey, Nepal, France, China and other countries to gather the data, and re-engineered them into the distinctive art style of <Tree of Savior>. For an example 'Femidian' (Pemidian?) is the city designed with the data collected from the city of Bhaktapur, Nepal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
☞Related Article: Tree of Savior, How is the art done?
(hyperlinked to http://www.thisisgame.com/webzine/news/ ... 4/?n=55240)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Femidian' is the city designed with the data collected from the city of Bhaktapur, Nepal.
* Twenty eight (28) original classes revealed! Distinctive 'Class Change System'

The expansive class system with eighty (80) character classes is one of the main contents the <Tree of Savior> provides. Although the official launching version would contain eighty (80) classes including total of ten (10) class changes, only the handful of twenty eight (28) character classes with three (3) times of class change (4 rank) will be provided during this time's 1st CBT.

Users will be choosing one of the four (4) basic job classes of Swordman, Archer, Cleric and Wizard when starting the game the first time. With every fifteen (15) level-ups, they can choose and change to the one of the various classes provided within the initially chosen class tier. If they do not wish to switch, then users are allowed to re-train the current class up to three (3) stages.
ImageImageImageImage
(From left) Pyromancer, Chronomancer, Linker, Psycokino

For an example, a player who started as a Wizard can choose to become a Pyromancer and Cryomancer but he/she can also choose to re-train the current Wizard class to become Rank 2. In this case, even the same spells can be trained into higher level than the Rank 1 Wizard, or even brand new advanced Wizard skills can be memorized.

When the player obtains class change opportunity by leveling up, he/she can choose from either Wizard (Rank 3), Pyromancer, Cryomancer with the addition of Rank 3 Class Linker and Psycokino, total of five classes. However for the Wizard class, players cannot choose it from the Rank 4.
Total of twenty eight (28) classes will be revealed during the 1st CBT

Even if several classes share the same standard class, they all have their own unique spells. For an example of the Wizard class tier, Pyromancers can cast fire spells while Chronomancer can manipulate the flow of time and revert his/her surrounding environment back to that of several seconds before. Linkers can 'link up' characters and are useful during the party plays.

The classes like 'Merchant' who could install market stalls or rogue-like 'Thief' from <Ragnarok Online> do not exist in <Tree of Savior> yet. However IMC Games is planning to provide classes like 'Appraiser,' 'Shepherd,' or 'Centurion,' which were never before seen in other games.

※ If you press the 'Playlist' button, you can check out six (6) movies on the character introduction.
Click here to watch character introduction playlist of <Tree of Savior>

* Only with Keyboard! Combat focused on attributes linkage.

<Tree of Savior> only supports keyboard controls for the general game play to focus on the action theme. You can only interact with AI using your mouse, and even if you click on the field your character will not move to the place.

Characters can move eight (8)-way using directional keys. Basic attacks of Swordman, Cleric and other close-quarter melee classes target close enemies. Ranged characters such as Wizard or Archers will automatically target the closest enemy on the sight line.

The characters with ranged attacks can use Shift + directional key to activate manual targeting when a skirmish gets crowded. Some of Wizard skills that can engulf a certain region with blazing fire (Area of Effect: AoE) can be manually cast in desired area by pressing down the hot key for the skill while using directional keys to move the target area and then release the hot key to activate. Archers can attack enemies while moving but it is imperative to maintain an optimal distance of barrage as the distance between the Archer and the enemy increases the damage dealt by each attack decreases.
Watch the <Tree of Savior> melee attack class video in a new window
Watch the <Tree of Savior> ranged attack class video in a new window
In <Tree of Savior> each class has unique attack attributes, enabling combats using attribute linkage. For an example, if your party member caused a bleeding effect on an enemy, you can attack with thrusting attributes to cause the wound to be gouged and hence cause 'greater bleeding' effect. You can even purposefully break ice wall intended to defend to attack enemies with icy shrapnel.

'Companion,' the <Tree of Savior> version of pets can also participate in combats. In the game, pets and mounts are integrated. Some you can ride on, or some you can expect to help in combat. Various types of Companions will be showcased, just like certain companions that are not mountable nor combat-usable, but could improve hauling ability of your character or even provide a ride for other players.
If you attack ice wall, icy shrapnel will be created that can damage nearby enemies.

<Tree of Savior> Watch the Companion introduction video in a new window.

* Fun to explore with your comrades! You can even draw maps through Free Quests.

<Tree of Savior> emphasizes on the feeling of freedom through which the users themselves can lead the game. When the game was first revealed, Director Kim explained the freedom as 'Beautiful Blank.' He meant this to let the users enjoy the game in various ways on their own, rather than forcibly providing scenarios and quests one-way. It very much resembles the initial stages of <Ragnarok Online> that focused on free-form combats and leveling-up.

<Tree of Savior> adopted Free Quest system with which users can choose their own adventures, with exception of several main scenario quests. User's actions are recorded in personal 'Adventurer's Journal' and as the collection rate of the journal increases, users can expect to gain more contents like item mix recipes, naturally indulging players to look for the quests in the game.
<Tree of Savior> 'Adventurer's Journal' interface.

Users draw maps themselves. When you just started the game, the minimap is veiled with fog and nothing can be seen on it. But as you start to move around, the maps are revealed. Especially some dungeons are hidden in the regions that are usually quite difficult to find, letting the players to delve into and explore to discover.

Respawn areas for the monsters are randomized as well. However the representatives at IMC Games explain that the monsters will be forming groups so it would not be too hard to look for them. You can climb up to the roof of a building or other objects, and each map is not level-restricted, enabling free-roaming in the world.
Minimaps are revealed as play time flows.

Players can climb up various objects including building rooftop.
Just as important as the level of freedom, 'User Community' is what Director Kim is also focusing on in the game. He explains that games should function as catalyst to aid in user community activities. This is to ensure natural meeting between users and community-forming rather than forcibly demanding party plays.

The combat system that requires cooperative play also encourages forming up of the communities. <Tree of Savior> also adopted a chat system that looks like a smartphone messenger. You can freely have conversations with other users, while the messages you received while offline are stores in the server so you could check them next time you go online. The emoticons (emojis) like the ones you saw in <Ragnarok Online> will also show up. These emoticons will also be visible on the character when used in public chats.
<Chat system in <Tree of Savior>

You can share the campfires made for faster HP recovery in rest mode with other players. Even if the campfire is not yours, you can receive the recovery effect when near, and you can toss a piece of wood to keep the fire burning. Campfires can be set anywhere on the field, and thus are expected to function as a mean to enable natural chat time with other players.

Other than the mentioned features, other players can visit your 'Barracks' where your class characters are stationed at. All users receive a standard barracks that can provide lodging for up to four (4) class characters. Users can also place various objects in the barracks and other players can be invited to the place. Of course if you end up obtaining larger barracks then you can create even more characters and brag about it to your friends.

The 1st CBT is scheduled to happen for four (4) days starting from Jan. 15th 2015. Only a handful of testers (total of three thousands (3,000)) can participate, and the official webpage is accepting the application for the CBT until the 11th. Nexon Korea and IMC Games officially banned live streaming (broadcasting) of CBT plays to collect objective feedback from testers, although video captures and uploads on YouTube are allowed.
The character select screen of <Tree of Savior> shows a barracks where your characters are stations at.

This is how a large-sized barracks look like. One can operate more characters and companions.
Last edited by Bluegale on January 12th, 2015, 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tsum tsum*
Gardosen
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Doppelsöldner

Re: Preview of the 1st CBT of Tree of Savior!

Post by Gardosen » January 12th, 2015, 11:57 am

Very nice, but we should check out to fix the linking issue with the pictures and release it on the main page :)
*thumb up for you* im happy that you joined our team.

Kind regards
Gardosen.
My Dragoon Passive OneHanded Spear Dagger Build -> http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... aztoyx6nj/
Bluegale
Translator

Post by Bluegale » January 12th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Gardosen wrote:Very nice, but we should check out to fix the linking issue with the pictures and release it on the main page :)
*thumb up for you* im happy that you joined our team.

Kind regards
Gardosen.
Huh... strange. It was working fine in the earlier of the day.
tsum tsum*
Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Post by Flash » January 12th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Wow very good job with the translations, I'll add it to the main page :)

Some images are loading for me and some are not. I'll mirror them on our server so all will be loaded correclty.
Bluegale
Translator

Post by Bluegale » January 12th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Flash wrote:Wow very good job with the translations, I'll add it to the main page :)

Some images are loading for me and some are not. I'll mirror them on our server so all will be loaded correclty.
Thank you, Flash!
I was going to copy the images to my dropbox and link them from there after I finish with my dinner but if you could mirror them on the server, that's super!
tsum tsum*
Gardosen
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Doppelsöldner

Post by Gardosen » January 12th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Basically we have enough space for files and stuff ^^ so mirroring images for faster loading and also storaging them for the future should be not a problem.

i finished reading it now and can only say, "wow" this game will be so amazing :D
My Dragoon Passive OneHanded Spear Dagger Build -> http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... aztoyx6nj/
Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Post by Flash » January 12th, 2015, 5:06 pm

Bluegale wrote:
Flash wrote:Wow very good job with the translations, I'll add it to the main page :)

Thank you, Flash!
I was going to copy the images to my dropbox and link them from there after I finish with my dinner but if you could mirror them on the server, that's super!
I usually mirror all news images on our server so in case they get removed / renamed on the original site (e.g. the dev blog gets shut down) the images are still viewable on our site ^^. The images are now on our server and should be visible for everyone.
Mr.Nova
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: EST (GMT+4)
Favorite Class: Templar

Post by Mr.Nova » January 12th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Nice work! :no1:
TOSBase Chat!
Discord Channel - IRC Channel
themuffinmaster
Beginner
Timezone: UTC-3

Post by themuffinmaster » January 12th, 2015, 8:57 pm

This looks awesome so far, thanks a lot for the translation! :kis:

Guhh, I do wish one of the future classes is a Merchant-like one. I don't know why, seeing as I was never a particular fan of it before, but I kinda think it would be a shame to have 80 classes and not have one of them being a Merchant. Well, there are almost 60 we don't know of yet...
novalkar
Newcomer

Post by novalkar » January 12th, 2015, 10:05 pm

themuffinmaster wrote:... Guhh, I do wish one of the future classes is a Merchant-like one...
More than a merchant, it would be great to have a melee axe wielding class like RO's Blacksmith... the nearest to these are the Highlanders, who wields two handed swords. I've also seen clerics using heavy weapons like hammers in videos, and Dievdirbys seem to use some sort of axe to build their statues... but it seems that we'll have to wait and see how those clases handle battles...
themuffinmaster
Beginner
Timezone: UTC-3

Post by themuffinmaster » January 12th, 2015, 11:11 pm

novalkar wrote:
themuffinmaster wrote:... Guhh, I do wish one of the future classes is a Merchant-like one...
More than a merchant, it would be great to have a melee axe wielding class like RO's Blacksmith... the nearest to these are the Highlanders, who wields two handed swords. I've also seen clerics using heavy weapons like hammers in videos, and Dievdirbys seem to use some sort of axe to build their statues... but it seems that we'll have to wait and see how those clases handle battles...
OH GOD YES, we need a class like those in the Blacksmith job branch. I'd love it even more if it we had the option between both one-handed and two-handed axes like in RO, so you could get even more different combinations (like you choose between wielding a one-handed axe with a shield or a battle axe that requires both hands). Ohhh, the possibilities would be endless :rice:
Ayleen
Apprentice

Post by Ayleen » January 14th, 2015, 9:57 am

awesome, thanks for the trad.
Hey all, i m looking for a competitive guild. PvP and mostly arena but i like doing everything, PvE also when it s challenging.
magnificentchaos
Apprentice
Timezone: GMT +5

Post by magnificentchaos » January 16th, 2015, 2:35 am

Thank you Bluegale for the translation! You are the hero to those of us unable to read/speak Korean. :lv: :no1: :ho:

I am so liking to the images of CBT! Makes me crave this game even more!!

Did somebody say "Cookies"?