New Skill Preview Video, English Q&A #7 Delayed

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

New Skill Preview Video, English Q&A #7 Delayed

Post by Flash » July 4th, 2014, 3:42 pm

imcGames released a new video that contains some classes and their skills.

The official english version of the Q&A #7 will be released on monday as the ToS team stated on Twitter. We will release it as soon as we get it. The korean version can be found here.

Images from the Q&A:

▲ Monk

Image Image Image Image
▲ Male Linker, Female Psyco, Female Necromancer, Female Sadhu
(The Necromancer image in the last news was actually a Sorcerer!)
Ruvian
Beginner

Re: New Skill Preview Video, English Q&A #7 Delayed

Post by Ruvian » July 5th, 2014, 3:56 am

Wow, I hope they do more videos like that! If even a handful of the 80 classes are as cool as the ones shown in the video, I am going to have serious trouble choosing a class.
ThisFeeling
Apprentice

Post by ThisFeeling » July 5th, 2014, 8:26 pm

My only fear is that because there're so many classes, they become so cookie-cutter that they turn the game into, "You can't fight such-and-such monsters/in such-and-such zone, because you're a Cryomancer, and such-and-such monsters in such-and-such zone are highly resistant to ice. Make a different class." AKA the Rock-Paper-Scissors Syndrome.

DC Universe is guilty of this; the game didn't have a huge repertoire of classes to choose from, but it had Rock-Paper-Scissors Syndrome in the sense that if you chose a certain power, you were weak against a certain other power. What made it so bad was that the game didn't straight-up tell you about the opposites/weaknesses... at least, not that I can remember.

Aside from that, the only other game I've been this excited for was World of Warcraft, back when it first came out. I was practically dreaming about WoW back then, and the only way I can contain my excitement for this game is to write a fanfiction about it.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the US (1809 - 1865)
Laima
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+8

Post by Laima » July 6th, 2014, 7:14 am

So far, none of the wizard classes look alike, and we've already seen at least 5 of them. Everything else is speculation.

Also, rock-paper-scissors isn't necessarily a bad thing. It depends on its implementation, and also how you look at it. Ragnarok is notorious for it, but it creates a diversity like no other. I would even argue that a lack of rock-paper-scissors is more likely to cause the cookie-cutter problem, but then I'd have to delve into your gaming preferences.

Ultimately, I'm pretty sure that ToS's class system will give you enough options to create the character you want for most situations. For example, after becoming a Cryomancer, you can advance to Cryomancer 2, go back for Wizard 2, segway to Pyromancer, or simply unlock a new class like Linker.
Desperate for 1 key.
-Ugen-
Beginner
Timezone: +7

Post by -Ugen- » July 6th, 2014, 10:44 am

I like class system of ToS, because character can have a lot of stages of evolution so the game will be more diversified. That is just for CB, in the future i guess we will sink into a lot of class and become confused what class to choose. :)
I just think of some intersting situations , imagine when you met a wizard class which combine pyromancer, cyromancer, Psychokinesist or maybe there will have swordman combine with wizard (like in Yureka Lost Saga manga) . It's so cool when think of it :D
Get ready !!!
Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » July 6th, 2014, 11:06 am

I doubt that magic knights will arise in that manner, since you can't mix the advancements of different initial classes, and swordsman advancements are following a historic military theme. Instead, it's probably going to be like equipping melee weapons on wizards (Q&A #7 said wizards could use hammers and swordsmen could use wands...? Not sure) or mixing a magic-oriented Cleric advancement (e.g. Bokor's death voodoo) with a melee one (e.g. Monk, which was also shown with dual swords). The upside is that you don't need to split your stats between physical and magical, since Power/Strength affects the damage of everything.
Desperate for 1 key.
Phelsetti
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Cannoneer

Post by Phelsetti » July 6th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Flexibility would seem to be important especially for solo players. (Is there limitation with how many advancements one can have?)

With 200+ regions in Tree of Savior they're more than likely to have multiple same level areas with different monster typing. There's only three towns known, mixing classes with a well versed sustainability may become vital. (Archer may want to pick up Fletcher to make arrows, Swordsman may want to pick up Centurion for the other shield classes etc.)

Reading from the rough translation, Chef and Fisherman may be added in the future.

And another read from rough translations, Necromancers have their own special book that will collect carcasses of enemies defeated. If they find Boss Cards, it will be added to their book and can be used for summoning, it will take the shape of the boss using the carcasses collected and has the same stats as well, the AI may be on par. That sounds pretty cool if I got the translation right. Haha
Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » July 6th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Phelsetti wrote:Flexibility would seem to be important especially for solo players. (Is there limitation with how many advancements one can have?)
They said that there will be 10 stages of advancements. I'm not quite sure if that's the same thing, nor how limitations on non-combat, non-class-specific subclasses (e.g. Appraiser) will work.
Phelsetti wrote:With 200+ regions in Tree of Savior they're more than likely to have multiple same level areas with different monster typing. There's only three towns known, mixing classes with a well versed sustainability may become vital. (Archer may want to pick up Fletcher to make arrows, Swordsman may want to pick up Centurion for the other shield classes etc.)
Hopefully the differences will be more than just monster type, so that we will find some areas/monsters to be memorable. :D
Phelsetti wrote:Reading from the rough translation, Chef and Fisherman may be added in the future.
The last part of the answer seemed more like "but we were planning to make a cooking system, so perhaps it will be added as a class instead." Basically, instead of overloading one player with all the features, they're distributed to the several players who want to master them, basically giving them the ability to replace NPCs.
Phelsetti wrote:And another read from rough translations, Necromancers have their own special book that will collect carcasses of enemies defeated. If they find Boss Cards, it will be added to their book and can be used for summoning, it will take the shape of the boss using the carcasses collected and has the same stats as well, the AI may be on par. That sounds pretty cool if I got the translation right. Haha
Yeah, it's pretty cool. :D
Desperate for 1 key.
Phelsetti
Apprentice

Post by Phelsetti » July 6th, 2014, 4:56 pm

They said that there will be 10 stages of advancements. I'm not quite sure if that's the same thing, nor how limitations on non-combat, non-class-specific subclasses (e.g. Appraiser) will work.
That's plenty of room to experiment! Would be interesting to see how a Wizard to Corsair/Rogue will do.
Hopefully the differences will be more than just monster type, so that we will find some areas/monsters to be memorable.
Like how a pantyless girl with a fox hat swinging a giant bell at you? Or a mobile peach tree with a monkey sticking it's butt out?

Also, "MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW...." -Leaf Cat

Good times. Haha
The last part of the answer seemed more like "but we were planning to make a cooking system, so perhaps it will be added as a class instead." Basically, instead of overloading one player with all the features, they're distributed to the several players who want to master them, basically giving them the ability to replace NPCs.
That would make a lot more sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » July 6th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Phelsetti wrote:That's plenty of room to experiment!
Glad you think the same way. :D
Phelsetti wrote:Like how a pantyless girl with a fox hat swinging a giant bell at you? Or a mobile peach tree with a monkey sticking it's butt out?

Also, "MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW...." -Leaf Cat

Good times. Haha
I was thinking more like how it influenced the players (like Byalan to Swordmen), but I guess that counts too. :p
Desperate for 1 key.
Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Post by Flash » July 6th, 2014, 9:32 pm

I'm pretty sure that we will have areas that are very hard if not unplayable for certain classes (atleast solo). I think that the monsters will have Elements and it's probably going to be quite hard to fight icq monsters as cryomancer. However I confident that ToS will balance this out very well so that this won't be a disadvantage. Many modern games force the player to follow a certain way and I hope that ToS will be more like RO1 where everyone had favorite spots for the different classes.
If this is possible there can be enemies that are suited for every class and noone will get bored too much becasue with every new character the gaming experience will be different :)
Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » July 7th, 2014, 5:51 am

Agreed! Also, I just realized how much more important community and team work will be, besides covering each other class's weaknesses. Remember, not only will there be 200 regions, but also only 3 cities. Players might wanna set-up camp (like in the very first Project R1 screenshot) in the popular goddess statues (warp points), and subclasses will help when we're going to be far from NPCs during expeditions.
Desperate for 1 key.
Phelsetti
Apprentice

Post by Phelsetti » July 7th, 2014, 7:29 am

Quite the insight. Going off on an adventure without a healer seems quite frightening without ways to properly sustain yourself. With mobs AI set to swarm, and with the possibility of limited healing items, things will get rough.

It was interesting that Psychokinetic kept enemies at bay with the vacuum-like skill which both stalled and set up the move the Archer was charging. Some subclasses might help compliment each other to form stronger combination of skills and combos.
Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » July 7th, 2014, 7:49 am

Yeah, that archer skill would've been a mess without some set-up. And remember in Q&A #5, when they talked about collaboration between classes? Looks like they really thought ahead with regards to making party-play rewarding, without actually forcing people to not solo.

By the way, English Q&A #7 is up. :D

http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/?p=180
Desperate for 1 key.
Phelsetti
Apprentice

Post by Phelsetti » July 7th, 2014, 7:58 am

Ah- quite a lot of bits of information would of been lost with rough translations. This is quite eye opening with Linker to also pass down potion effects, Necromancer can exclusively make beast type bosses, or even in Spirit form there's the possibility of being attacked.
Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » July 7th, 2014, 8:11 am

Well, your translation on Necromancer and boss cards was on point. It's really an amazing gameplay mechanic. XD
Desperate for 1 key.