Exploring and traveling the world

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Exploring and traveling the world

Post by Flash » November 30th, 2014, 5:50 am

To keep a game interesting for as long as possible it is important that players actually enjoy playing the entire game and don't try to rush to the "end game content" and run the same dungeon over and over again. In this post we try to analyze the information we have about the maps and the traveling to see what we can expect from Tree of Savior.

Exploring
Most of us probably have in common that the time in a game we enjoy most is the time when we know the least about a game. Seeing new places and fighting new monster is always more exciting than doing something you've already done before. Tree of Savior has some features that should make exploring very interesting.

The ingame map will only show you those parts of a map you have already seen. You won't be able to decide where you want to go by glancing over the map. You will have to investigate every part of an area to make sure you haven't missed something.
The movement and especially the ability to jump also have a high potential to make exploring more fun. You will be able to climb objects in the game world that have the potential to be a nice hidden spot or maybe even a short cut.
We also know that some secrets like treasures will be hidden in places you can't see unless you stumble across them. This will make exploring rewarding and even more fun.
Traveling
Traveling is also an important factor as it can be very boring. Traveling the world is what we do after we have explored it. We will walk the same ways over and over again and if doing so takes too long and is too boring the game is less fun.
One example most of you probably know and that can be very annoying is the way back to the NPC who send you on a mission. In Tree of Savior we will be able to avoid this by simply clicking the backspace key after finishing a quest what allows us to skip atleast 50% of the way by teleporting back to the quest NPC.
If we want to get to an area where we've already been we will be able to use statues. These statues are spread around the world and once you found and activated one you will be able to teleport to it from every other statue. If you don't have a statue near you, you will also be able to use an item to get teleported to the last statue you interacted with. This feature seems to be pretty similar to the waypoints in Diablo and are a good way to allow players to easily reach points they've already explored.
It's also a good idea to bring some diversity by offering different travel vehicles and we've already seen a few in the trailers. They are probably only used for short travels within an area.
A ropeway that will bring you savely across an abyss.
A lift that will take you down from a hill a great view included.
A mine cart that will fly through the air skipping an abyss.
The world will be split into different areas but we don't know yet if there are parts of the world map we haven't seen yet or how big the areas. Anyway we can definitely look forward to explore this world with all it's secrets and funny vehicels.
noori1
Beginner

Re: Exploring and traveling the world

Post by noori1 » November 30th, 2014, 6:55 am

I just wondering, can the player fall from heights or fall from the transportation tools then died? that will be realistic :)

after I read the "travelling" section, I'm curious whether the quest will have lot of grinding monster or not? As mmorpg gamer who played lot of mmorpg games, I know we all need some differentiation of quest, not just grinding monster, but maybe some puzzle or other.

Yeah, lot of curiosity :heh:
Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » November 30th, 2014, 7:10 am

I don't know if it will be possible to fall from those vehicles. In the G-STAR 2013 trailer you see the character jumping on the ropeway so it might be possible to jump down while it's still above the abyss or some invisible wall will pevent you from doing so.

About the quest: We don't have too much information about this but it seems that quests are usually not simple grind quests but rather some events in instanced areas where you have to fight some monsters or boss monsters.
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » November 30th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Ok finally someone decided "shouldn't we do something with our world map if players are constantly going to be using it?" and thank nocturnal for that.
magnificentchaos
Apprentice
Timezone: GMT +5

Post by magnificentchaos » November 30th, 2014, 2:25 pm

This is some great info. I am liking the fact that the world will have fun ways to explore and get around. So can't wait to experience this first hand!!! :lv:

Did somebody say "Cookies"?
Ayleen
Apprentice

Post by Ayleen » November 30th, 2014, 7:22 pm

The more i checked the picture the more i love it. Remind me a enhanced version of legend of mana (ps1).

Concerning the movement and exploring part, i need to ask something i m not quite sure about.
The world of ToS is open right? i mean when you go out of the city you actually need to walk through connected path to go to some location. Or when you go outside the city you clic on different location and go to an instanced area? i know they said it s zone type game in the Q&A but i just want to know if you have open field and not just instances.

I played both way (elword -fully instanced- and TERA -open world-) and even if in the end it s not a real deal i kinda prefer when it s open world with instanced dungeon, not just instanced dungeon and town.

About jumping an freedom to explore, i don t really mind, but when i checked different game when people couldn t jump or too many invisible wall, waw people go crazy, so yea good for the game if they allow people to have a better feeling of freedom.
Hey all, i m looking for a competitive guild. PvP and mostly arena but i like doing everything, PvE also when it s challenging.
Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » November 30th, 2014, 9:20 pm

normal maps are open and some dungeons are instanced.
andysunstory
Beginner
Guild: Collision
Timezone: UTC+10

Post by andysunstory » December 1st, 2014, 2:05 am

backspace to get back to the quest npc? that's ultra awesome!
Saya
Apprentice
Guild: PinoyAllStar

Post by Saya » December 1st, 2014, 7:16 am

its december now! still no sign of CBT! tired of waiting! my hands are itching :P :wah: