Korean Publisher Announced

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Korean Publisher Announced

Post by Flash » November 14th, 2014, 5:11 am

imcGAMES announced that Tree of Savior will be published by Nexon Korea. imcGAMES will be responsible for development and operations and Nexon Korea for business marketing. This will not affect the upcoming CBT which will be available "oversea". "Alot of images and information" and a new promotional video will be released at the G-STAR 2014.
트리오브세이비어의 한국 서비스는 넥슨과 함께하게 되었습니다.
imcGAMES가 개발과 운영을, Nexon이 사업 마케팅을 담당합니다.

해외는 이와 관계 없이 자체 CBT 준비 중입니다.

이번 부산 G-Star에서 많은 영상과 정보가 공개될 예정이오니, 여러분의 많은 관심 바랍니다. 감사합니다.
Source: Facebook, inven.co.kr
Kunae
Apprentice
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: MT Time

Re: Korean Publisher Announced

Post by Kunae » November 14th, 2014, 5:21 am

See there we go. Everything goes full circle.

I bet you CBT will be announced during the Expo
Image One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.
Goldmind
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+30

Post by Goldmind » November 14th, 2014, 5:32 am

Awesome!

I REALLY would like to see for myself how much skills each class is granted.

I like balanced game mechanics but if there's only like 10 skills per class that'd be ... I'm gonna say not so exciting.
Nyxiology
Beginner
Guild: Sadboys
Timezone: CST

Post by Nyxiology » November 14th, 2014, 6:35 am

Goldmind wrote:Awesome!

I REALLY would like to see for myself how much skills each class is granted.

I like balanced game mechanics but if there's only like 10 skills per class that'd be ... I'm gonna say not so exciting.
I totally respect that you have your own opinion, but I think you may be underestimating the depth of gameplay that can come with 10 skills. Not 10 skills per class, as in 10 skills total. Even a DotA hero with 4 skills and 6 items has plenty of depth, and if you look at most MMOs, that's standard fare. About 3~5 main skills, 4~8 secondary skills (long CDs, utility, etc), and the rest is usually just bloat that serves to homogenize classes.

ToS skills are (mostly) not as simple as "Shoot a fireball for X damage!", most of them are interesting, high impact skills. With basic attacks accounting for your "filler", you don't need generic spells that don't provide something meaningful and defining to the class. Most games that sport a huge skill-count do so by giving you lots of spells that have no interactions with each other, or cross-class. Oftentimes they will have, at best, a barely noticeable secondary effect.

I'd rather have 4~6 spells per class that have high impact either on my other skills, ability to combo with another class, or are powerful enough to be class defining. Especially when typically you're going to be combining several classes together in one character.
Saya
Apprentice
Guild: PinoyAllStar

Post by Saya » November 14th, 2014, 11:04 am

im agree with nyxiology..but i prefer 6-10 skills :) hehehe
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » November 14th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Nexon?..........welp there goes any enjoyment this game might have had, time to churn out a bunch of p2w items.
Icystare
Wiki Manager
Timezone: GMT -5
Favorite Class: Pardoner

Post by Icystare » November 14th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Nexon Korea isn't like Nexon America. They are part of the same company but completely different from each other. Nexon Korea tends to take better care of the people playing their stuff.
cubez
Newcomer
Guild: S A D B O Y S
Timezone: EST (GMT-5)

Post by cubez » November 14th, 2014, 4:07 pm

Icystare wrote:Nexon Korea isn't like Nexon America. They are part of the same company but completely different from each other. Nexon Korea tends to take better care of the people playing their stuff.
This. Nexon Korea has done a spectacular job with Valve's Dota 2.

Regardless, they have nothing to do with the actual development of the game, they're only publishing it. IMCgames is still in charge of development.
Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Post by Flash » November 14th, 2014, 4:50 pm

Publishers usually have way less to do with how a game is handled than most people think. During the last years I experieced that often the publishers are nearly as helpless as the players when it comes to bug fixes, new features or cash shop content. I think a good developer will always create a good game and a bad one will always create a bad game regardless of the publisher they choose. Of course there are still better and worse publishers regarding events, support and so on but it's not that bad imho ;)

And as already mentioned they mentioned Nexon Korea and this publisher is better thant Nexon America from waht I heard. They also state that they will stay responsoble for development so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Mr.Nova
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: EST (GMT+4)
Favorite Class: Templar

Post by Mr.Nova » November 14th, 2014, 6:22 pm

Rosenakahara wrote:Nexon?..........welp there goes any enjoyment this game might have had, time to churn out a bunch of p2w items.
That's literally what I was thinking.
Icystare wrote:Nexon Korea isn't like Nexon America. They are part of the same company but completely different from each other. Nexon Korea tends to take better care of the people playing their stuff.
cubez wrote:
This. Nexon Korea has done a spectacular job with Valve's Dota 2.

Regardless, they have nothing to do with the actual development of the game, they're only publishing it. IMCgames is still in charge of development.
I'll have to take your guys word on it then. I haven't had much experience with other Nexon branches.
TOSBase Chat!
Discord Channel - IRC Channel
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » November 15th, 2014, 2:14 am

well if you say so.....but seriously fuck nexon america, i have yet to see a game they have not completely ruined.
Icystare
Wiki Manager

Post by Icystare » November 15th, 2014, 5:37 am

Maplestory, Vindictus and Mabinogi are the three games they haven't fucked up. You can argue about how it's heavily cash shop based but what F2P game doesn't have a cash shop? Despite having a shitty track record they have on their support, they have shown some improvement after they boot their incompetent CEO back to Korea and replaced with another Korean CEO that actually knew what he was doing.
Gardosen
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Doppelsöldner

Post by Gardosen » November 15th, 2014, 11:38 am

i have to agree with icy,

after checking the last years of revenue of Nexon its clear that they restructured their company in the area of F2P games.

i think nexon is a good choice and it could be more worse.

also, everyone should start to understand what F2P is realy meaning.
In General it means "a Percentage of people are paying money because they dont want to spend time, to make it possible for other people to play a long time without spending money".

this system needs people who are spending tons of money, otherwise the developers, supporters or the qa team could not be payed.
if we are lucky they will make a itemshop which is costume based, which means all items who are only available for real money are style, and everything which is related to the balance, can also be quired in a Free way or even 95% of the item. (which means a item who is only available over $ has a slightly weaker version who can be gathered by questing and has 95% of the strength)

Greetings
Gardosen
My Dragoon Passive OneHanded Spear Dagger Build -> http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... aztoyx6nj/
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » November 15th, 2014, 12:32 pm

i still wish this was b2p, honest most f2p games go up in flames......
Iden
Apprentice

Post by Iden » November 15th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Not that it came as a surprise but still, really disappointed about the f2p.
Gardosen wrote:--and everything which is related to the balance, can also be quired in a Free way or even 95% of the item. (which means a item who is only available over $ has a slightly weaker version who can be gathered by questing and has 95% of the strength)
if anything it should be the other way around, cash shop items should be weaker versions of those that can be acquired by playing.

f2p in general encourages lazier development in terms of new content and improving game mechanics. There's no incentive to actually make the game better, because all they need to do is dump some new cosmetics every now and then to keep the cash flowing. There's plenty of these dress-up MMOs out there already, wish ToS didn't have to turn out to be like that.
Icystare
Wiki Manager

Post by Icystare » November 16th, 2014, 1:48 am

Iden wrote:Not that it came as a surprise but still, really disappointed about the f2p.

if anything it should be the other way around, cash shop items should be weaker versions of those that can be acquired by playing.

f2p in general encourages lazier development in terms of new content and improving game mechanics. There's no incentive to actually make the game better, because all they need to do is dump some new cosmetics every now and then to keep the cash flowing. There's plenty of these dress-up MMOs out there already, wish ToS didn't have to turn out to be like that.
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » November 16th, 2014, 11:35 am

Icystare wrote:
Iden wrote:Not that it came as a surprise but still, really disappointed about the f2p.

Image No.

And just because EoE, the predicted response:
Nyxiology
Beginner
Guild: Sadboys
Timezone: CST

Post by Nyxiology » November 16th, 2014, 7:41 pm

F2P is both the payment model with the most potential, and also the most frequently misused monetary model a game can use. The F2P crowd, in my experience, has the highest tendency to attract lazy, entitled gamers who feel that a game which they pay nothing for should cater to them the most. While I too dislike when your progression is gated behind payment walls and RNG (for instance, "refinement protection items"), cosmetic or convenience features are not out of line to ask for. Thus far, I think Rift potentially could be said to have the best F2P setup of any MMO on the market. League may lead the way in sales, but that is everything to do with the popularity of the game, and with the genre being easier to monetize without having a negative effect on game balance.

What I'm looking forward to seeing is the modding/addon community, and whether or not they will be supported by the devs. It has been proven over decades that the playerbase can and will churn out more and better free content solely because they love the game. Monetizing the market for "addons" and the community would be insanely profitable, especially when you look at the explosive growth of sales in DotA2's cosmetics when they released the workshop.

Looking at the WoW/Rift addon community, the features that players have come up with are so powerfully liked by the community, that the devs often outright steal those addon features and bake them into the game. Even so, some of these addons are simply so much better/customizable that they are often taken in lieu of using the baked in feature. Rather than stealing addons, it would be profitable for the company, incentivized for the players, and generally a great way to support the game by encouraging the modding/addon community. Skim money off of monetized addons, and let their creators take a majority of the profit. Why no MMO has done this yet is hard to imagine.