Questions and Answers about ToS #13

Silk
Apprentice

Questions and Answers about ToS #13

Post by Silk » August 25th, 2014, 1:53 pm

imcGames released the English Questions and Answers about TOS #13.
Hello. I am syKim from TOS Development Team. I will answer the questions that we have received from various sources and also introduce you the new classes in the game. TOS is a game which is currently under development so the answers that are given below can be changed in the future when we start the official service of the game.

Q) Can Alchemist or the other classes that are specialized in crafting also engage in other activities while crafting items in the game?
A) No. They can’t. That’s why we allowed those characters to stay in the game even if players log out from the game when they are engaged in crafting that requires a long period of time.

Q) I have a great idea. Try advertise you game on C~~~~roll.com. Lots of fans fell in love with TOS, but there are still many of them who don’t know the existence of the Developers’ Blog yet.
A) We will think about advertisement or any other kind of promotional activities when we are fully prepared for the official service. Thanks for your info anyways.

Q) What’s the difference between Elementalist and Pyromancer? Does Elementalist become Pyromancer by specializing fire attribute?
A) To become an Elementalist, you have to go through Pyromancer, but Elementalist also uses other spells besides fire such as lightning, petrification curse and etc. For more information, please refer to the class introduction below.

Q) Are there any Doll Masters in the game such as Catherine Torche in Granado Espada?
A) There will be a classed called Puppetier which is a high ranked class, but controlling Puppetier will be slightly different from controlling Catherine Torche in GE.

Q) I saw Dievdirbys carving a sculpture in the game, but it looked vulnerable since it was surrounded by monsters. Does carving get cancelled if Dievdirbys get attacked by monsters?
A) Yes. Carving will be cancelled if it gets attacked by monsters. Therefore, in order to succeed carving you need to receive help from your party members or ‘Safety Zone’ which is a basic skill of Cleric class can protect Dievdirbys while it is carving a sculpture.

▲ You won’t be disturbed by monsters when you are in Safety Zone.

Q) I saw many accessories in the game such as horns and ears. Can we get them in the game or do we need to use cash to buy them?
A) There are many ways to obtain them. You can obtain them from monsters, craft them yourselves, or buy them from NPCs..

Q) How does the map system work? For example, can we see all the players on the field or can we only see our party or group members on the field?
A) Normally, you can only see your party members, but Scout can select a spot on the map to find out which players or enemies are there and share this info with party members.

Image▲The NPCs that you have encountered and the routes you have discovered will be indicated on the mini-map.

Q) Are there any classes that are specialized in music such as Bards? I want to play flute or horn in the game. And Ukulele as well!
A) We haven’t decided whether to include a class related to music. However, if you use vuvuzela which is a sub-weapon, you can make vu- vu- sounds.

Q) Can characters dance or take poses in the game?
A) We have several basic poses and you can also acquire new poses in the game. Characters can’t dance though.

▲ Cheese~~

Q) I saw the subtitles from a video that says all classes will be able to use level 50 two handed swords. Why do Archer/Wizard/Cleric have to use those?
A) That was a mistake by us. We were testing something and we didn’t erase the texts. Sorry about that.

Q) Will items be bound to the characters which acquired those items in the first place?
A) No. You can freely trade any items acquired in the game. However, for the current version of the game, an item’s Potential will decrease by 1 whenever it gets traded so its value may fall.

This week’s class introductions:

▲ Monk is a pure attack-based Cleric-type class.

Most of its skills are influenced by Strength, so it may require some patience to grow Monk class.
“Iron Shirt” reflects enemies’ attacks without receiving any damages so it will be useful when Monk acts as a tanker in team plays.
“Sunrays Hand” receives bonuses from the three stats, so when collaborating with other buff skills or other classes, its effect will be intensified.

▲ Druid is a Cleric-type class which uses the force of nature.

It can either attack enemies or protect itself from enemies’ attacks using the grass on the fields, but since this skill can only be used on the fields with grass, Druid will show its great attack ability on the fields with plenty of grass. It can also control plant-type or animal-type monsters and even transforms itself into certain monsters to use all of the skills of those monsters.

▲ Elementalist is a Wizard-type class which uses strong elemental magic spells.

It can use Petrification curse or Lightning spell which are not available in other Wizard classes such as Pyromancer and Cryomancer. High rank fire or ice spells have a long casting time, but since they are rather powerful, they will be effective when fighting against boss monsters or in raid missions when you get help from your party members.
“Prominence” moves around freely after it gets summoned so it will be effective when you are facing against multiple enemies at once.

▲ Sapper is an Archer-type class which is specialized in installing traps.

Diverse types of traps such as “Claymore” which can be installed in advance and explode it at a preferred time will be effective in battles that are crowded with monsters.

Recently, we are having internal tests inside our studio, so CM Leslie will write her play report for the next week’s blog post. I hope everyone enjoys her report.
IgnisFlamma
Apprentice
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Questions and Answers about ToS #13

Post by IgnisFlamma » August 27th, 2014, 11:14 pm

I get more anxious everytime they release a new Q&A. Monk looks awesome! That "ki-blast" looks cool. Sapper concerns me a liittle: I believe there will be a limit for the amount of traps set up simutaneously (e.g. one Sapper can not have more than 10 traps set up at once); even so, imagine a party full of Sappers? You would just place a bunch of traps into one place and keep luring monsters there. Easy kill. Well, my point is: Sapper's design can easily "go wrong" (i.e. be exploited or unbalance the game) if not done properly, it is a dangerous one, although very nice, nonetheless.

Still no news about CBT, though... :sob: But when they mentioned in the end about tests, something tells me they might be getting ready for it.
avantius
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Centurion

Post by avantius » August 28th, 2014, 1:39 am

While it certainly seems plausible that sappers would have a heavy advantage at killing anything they bring to their traps, there might be the issue of time/efficiency. It might take longer for a team of sappers to setup their traps and lure mobs, than a regular party's methods.

But yeah, it depends on how they handle it. Trap-set limit, time-limit, maybe even some "smart" monsters that actually avoid or destroy the traps.
Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Post by Flash » August 28th, 2014, 1:48 am

From looking at the videos it looks like most classes are pretty OP against normal monster at some point (basically like it was in RO) so I don't think they have that much of an advantage compared to Elementalist and so on. I really don't think setting up traps and then luring big amouns of monster into them is much faster than simply AoE-ing those mobs at lower amounts just where they are but we will see. Maybe there will be some special cooldown like 5 traps / minute or something like that.
Laima
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+8

Post by Laima » August 28th, 2014, 7:10 am

Traps in other games have fundamentally similar concepts but produce different results, so I disagree that the concepts themselves inherently suggest imbalance (i.e. can easily go wrong). Alternatively, if they did, then so would basic attacks.
Desperate for 1 key.
IgnisFlamma
Apprentice

Post by IgnisFlamma » August 28th, 2014, 11:54 am

Flash wrote:From looking at the videos it looks like most classes are pretty OP against normal monster at some point (basically like it was in RO) so I don't think they have that much of an advantage compared to Elementalist and so on. I really don't think setting up traps and then luring big amouns of monster into them is much faster than simply AoE-ing those mobs at lower amounts just where they are but we will see. Maybe there will be some special cooldown like 5 traps / minute or something like that.
Indeed, for now everything is just speculation... Hope CBT comes soon. :rice:
Laima wrote:Traps in other games have fundamentally similar concepts but produce different results, so I disagree that the concepts themselves inherently suggest imbalance (i.e. can easily go wrong). Alternatively, if they did, then so would basic attacks.
I'm not saying they "suggest imbalance/can easily go wrong"; I'm just saying that, design-wise, it is something dangerous which, if not done properly, could break either the game or the Sapper class.
Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » August 28th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Yeah umm I think it would be easier for both of us if I simply said "No." :hmm:
Desperate for 1 key.
Erus
Newcomer
Timezone: UTC+1

Post by Erus » August 28th, 2014, 6:04 pm

This monks can kamehameha :rice: It looks bad-ass.

This possession/shape-shifting is funny, but I don't think this will be useful.

Traps looks interesting and this could be nice way of farming on large groups of monsters. Sappers put traps while some tanks make trains of mobs and lure them to traps. I like this kind of parties when everyone have specific job to do :)

Btw. I don't think that they want to show us how balanced dmg input is in this videos, but they simple want to show us some game mechanics and skills + how they look like visually. Generally balancing comes at the late stages of development.
IgnisFlamma
Apprentice

Post by IgnisFlamma » August 28th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Laima wrote:Yeah umm I think it would be easier for both of us if I simply said "No." :hmm:
I didn't quite get what you mean, are you saying something like "It would be easier for both of us is I simply said that I don't agree with you"?
Erus wrote:Btw. I don't think that they want to show us how balanced dmg input is in this videos, but they simple want to show us some game mechanics and skills + how they look like visually. Generally balancing comes at the late stages of development.
Couldn't agree more. :ok:
Icystare
Wiki Manager
Timezone: GMT -5
Favorite Class: Pardoner

Post by Icystare » August 28th, 2014, 10:32 pm

The druid seems like an extremely situational class based on their description on how the class would play. I personally like the idea of decreasing the value when trading items to people so people don't play hot potato with their gear.
faeo_mavklas
Apprentice
Guild: TBA
Timezone: -8
Favorite Class: Hackapell
Server: Klaipeda

Post by faeo_mavklas » August 28th, 2014, 10:38 pm

....I still think the hammer looks retarded on the monk. I can understand according to western culture they use maces but if they're doing kung-fu why would you need a mace? If you're going megumi beam then you don't need a mace unless you're going to to play baseball with the beam...They did it wrong for RO and they're going to do the same for ToS too? I HOPE that we can toggle on/off that ugly looking bludgeon weapon. I rather see my fists imbued with certain properties to enhance the damage rather than a metal hammer.

It's also getting kind of annoying how people ask the same damn questions when all they need to do is go review the questions and answers. We could have asked better questions to better understand ToS rather than ones that have been answered already. :hmm:
IgnisFlamma
Apprentice

Post by IgnisFlamma » August 28th, 2014, 10:50 pm

faeo_mavklas wrote:....I still think the hammer looks retarded on the monk. I can understand according to western culture they use maces but if they're doing kung-fu why would you need a mace?
Well, I would also prefer to use fists, I think it's way more cool for a Monk. Although Monks can actually use a wide range of weapons, I agree with you that it would be way more cool to not have the mace and just make them use their fists or even a Knuckle (as you have in many RPGs, including Ragnarok). There still is a long way ahead, this might be one of the things that might change, hopefully.

In truth, I wouldn't mind if they left it the way it is (Monks using maces), as long as the game is fun and balanced this matter would be mainly "cosmetic". It's not as if the game isn't good-looking already, in my opinion. :heh:
Icystare
Wiki Manager
Timezone: GMT -5
Favorite Class: Pardoner

Post by Icystare » August 28th, 2014, 11:01 pm

faeo_mavklas wrote:....I still think the hammer looks retarded on the monk. I can understand according to western culture they use maces but if they're doing kung-fu why would you need a mace? If you're going megumi beam then you don't need a mace unless you're going to to play baseball with the beam...They did it wrong for RO and they're going to do the same for ToS too? I HOPE that we can toggle on/off that ugly looking bludgeon weapon. I rather see my fists imbued with certain properties to enhance the damage rather than a metal hammer.
There were cases were maces were used in SE/Eastern cultures in martial arts. In India they practiced "Gada-Yuddha" which is essentially is martial arts with a mace. The mace also functioned as a conditioning tool and weapon for various Eastern countries so seeing it on a monk isn't unusual.
Although I have to agree the that particular club in the video looks funny on the monk, hopefully there's more ornate maces offered down the line.
Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » August 29th, 2014, 4:42 am

IgnisFlamma wrote:I didn't quite get what you mean, are you saying something like "It would be easier for both of us is I simply said that I don't agree with you"?
No. We agree to disagree. I'm not in the mood to explain, considering how I'm being singled out compared to everyone else who disagrees with your point. Anyway, let's just end it there. lol
faeo_mavklas wrote:I HOPE that we can toggle on/off that ugly looking bludgeon weapon. I rather see my fists imbued with certain properties to enhance the damage rather than a metal hammer.
That's already the case for basic attacks, as you can see in 0:22 of the video. Like you've said, none of the other monk skills involve whacking with the mace either. The only loophole is that they'll still be holding the mace when running around during combat.
faeo_mavklas wrote:It's also getting kind of annoying how people ask the same damn questions when all they need to do is go review the questions and answers. We could have asked better questions to better understand ToS rather than ones that have been answered already.
"B-but... This is very important to me..."
:heh:
Desperate for 1 key.
Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Post by Flash » August 29th, 2014, 5:01 am

Have there really been so many repeated questions? I didn't really notice that. What annoys me more is that there are quite often questions answered that probably noone except this one guys cares about... But maybe they like picking those easy and uninteresting questions who knows.
Phelsetti
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Cannoneer

Post by Phelsetti » August 29th, 2014, 6:22 am

That's why Chonomancers could go handy with Sappers. If all else goes wrong, 5 second rewind and hope it won't fail a second time. haha

Seriously though, Sappers is one of those class that require time to set up, other classes can just go straight in and smash the enemies face up front. All classes have their pros and cons, just need to try it first hand to figure it out. Videos can be useful, but that's just it, useful. They're not there to determine all the advantages/disadvantages of a class, they're there to keep players interested/entertained. :heh:

It won't matter if Monks use any weapons. In combat, you barely get much of a glimpse of their equipped weapons since they're mostly blasting enemies away with their fist. (And that's some really cool info by the way, Adminstare!)

Druids can be seen very situational, but with the 200+ regions, I don't think it would be too much of a huge issue. They may have disadvantages going to some areas, but there's still many other areas that would put them to use. In the description, they also mentioned that they can control animal/plant-type monsters. But when they mentioned their shape-shifting, they said "certain monsters". That can put quite a difference.

Also, why is no one speaking of Elementalist? They're so cool! With the advantage of all the elements, they can go to just about anywhere if monsters have weakness to elements. Their main weakness is that they're vulnerable most of the times while casting, but a party can definitely have them covered!

To be honest, I'm just happy enough they're even keeping us updated. Just be happy that they're willing to share info. Seriously. They can just be stingy about it and ignore us til CBT. Haha
Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » August 29th, 2014, 7:30 am

I see Elementalist as the epitome of glass cannons. They're awesome, but there's pretty much no complicated details about them. Nevertheless, I'd definitely grab it if I have leftover ranks after maxing Pyromancer. Prominence looks really cool!
Desperate for 1 key.
IgnisFlamma
Apprentice

Post by IgnisFlamma » August 29th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Phelsetti wrote:To be honest, I'm just happy enough they're even keeping us updated. Just be happy that they're willing to share info. Seriously. They can just be stingy about it and ignore us til CBT. Haha
Yes, they can. They can also stop producing the game. They can do whatever they feel like doing, the thing is: they do what is convenient for them, if they stop answering questions, the game's marketing will surely go down and that is not something they want. I really appreciate the fact that they're keeping us updated, but don't think they're doing this in a purely selfless act.
Laima wrote:No. We agree to disagree. I'm not in the mood to explain, considering how I'm being singled out compared to everyone else who disagrees with your point. Anyway, let's just end it there. lol
I think it would have been a nice discussion, but since you're not in the mood... :sob:
Phelsetti
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Cannoneer

Post by Phelsetti » August 29th, 2014, 3:44 pm

IgnisFlamma wrote:Yes, they can. They can also stop producing the game. They can do whatever they feel like doing, the thing is: they do what is convenient for them, if they stop answering questions, the game's marketing will surely go down and that is not something they want. I really appreciate the fact that they're keeping us updated, but don't think they're doing this in a purely selfless act.
They could of easily marketed another time and just slap us a teaser then left us hanging and it will still go by. They could of started marketing way later too, and still pull the same crowd. The difference is that they're getting feedback for all of this during their development. They're finding ways to make sure to make all differing crowds content. They're even considering to add demanded classes in the future.

If they didn't want to keep us updated, that would mean they would be of no worries of being hit by everyone's expectations. So once they have the game open to the crowds, then they can receive feedback to change future content. Either situation wins. They'll get the same crowd, they'll still be advertising, it's just all in time. Haha
Laima
Apprentice

Post by Laima » August 29th, 2014, 5:01 pm

I read that the blog started because of leaks that occurred shortly prior. It's not an official statement, but a fan opinion (and a good read at that). Link
Desperate for 1 key.