Post CBT2 Q&A

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Post CBT2 Q&A

Post by Flash » May 20th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Nexon posted a Q&A of questions they have received after the last CBT. Here is a translated version from the official Dev Blog (http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/?p=395):
Q) The locations of the Class Masters were dispersed too much so I had hard times looking for them.
A) Our plan was to utilize various places in the fields, but after reviewing the results from CBT2, we decided that it wasn’t satisfactory so we will eventually move each of them to the villages in the game.

Q) Depending on the items that were equipped, there were some skills that I could not use. Was this purposely designed this way?
A) That’s because we had a lack of sprite patterns. (For example, the animation of “Rapid Fire” was only available with a character equipped with a crossbow and a shield.) We will try our best to fill more animations in the next version.

Q) Up to which rank would we be able to play in the Open Beta?
A) Our original plan was to open up to Rank 10~11, but we are thinking about changing it. We are thinking about hiding 20 classes so there is a chance that the last rank will be 8, but it’s not confirmed yet.

Q) Was it purposely designed in the game to cancel character’s basic attacks? [They are probably talking about the Wizard Bunny Hop]
A) When a character becomes stiff after each attack, we allowed character’s movement to enhance the controllability, but we started CBT2 knowing that it will increase character’s attack speed as a side effect.

We think that the decision on whether we will limit this function or not would depend on the fatigue that would accumulate after a player plays the game for a long time.

For your reference, we limited this function by consuming the stamina when a character attacks while jumping in the air, but we haven’t decided whether we would apply this in cancelling basic attacks as well.

Q) The game seems to have some balancing issues on using different skills. Some skills are too effective and there are also other skills that are not that effective.
A) We will keep adjust the balances, but we will focus more on different uses for each skill.

The basic attacks would still be used by players even if their characters reach the maximum level, and even if a skill has a low usage, there will be circumstances that players should use such skill.

Q) The quests in the game are not too exciting.
We concluded that the reason why the quests feel somewhat boring is because the game is supplying too many quests.

Instead of supplying too many quests that are lacking in their purposes and meanings, we believe that it will be more meaningful for players to search for the quests enthusiastically themselves so we are planning to hide most of the quests.

Q) It seems that the speed of the battles is somewhat slow. Do you have future plans to make them little faster?
In present MMO games, the servers calculate and share everything so with that underlying constraint present, we actually maximized the speed of the battles in the game. You may feel like that since TOS servers should allow the inputs whenever you attack. Please understand it as a characteristic of the genre.

Q) How many party contents are in the game? Are there any other contents besides hunting with my party members?
A) We are creating party events a lot so I guess we should come up with something somehow if we really don’t have other ideas besides hunting. For your reference, we will enhance the qualities of party plays in our next version so we will share with you the details get confirmed.
▲ We are creating a function to match different players into one party.

Q) I really liked the game pad compatibility, but targeting is still somewhat uncomfortable.
A) After CBT2, we came with an idea to attack and cancel attack with the mouse so our main programmer is working on the mouse control in such a long time.

▲ The mouse control that we are testing at the moment. It will be used with WASD.

Q) It was unfortunate that there was no vibration on the game pad.
A) We eliminated the vibration feature since we can’t check the remaining battery amount or a player’s fatigue level. If we include it on the next version, then we will make it so that players can select the option.

Q) Evasion, Critical and some other attributes are displayed with their numbers, but I feel uncomfortable how often they get activated in the game.
A) The reason why we can’t indicate the exact % or the rate is because the evasion or the critical rates are decided by comparing your character’s evasion or critical rates and the monsters that you are facing against. So for example, when you face against 3 kinds of monsters, the final critical or evasion rates are decided depending on those 3 monsters’ stats. We understand that this is not intuitive so we will use “Appraiser” class to view the exact rates.
▲ You will be able to view your enemies’ weak points or stats by playing with “Appraiser” class.

Q) A Helper seemed to be ineffective. It really didn’t help me except for normal attacks.
A) Our original plan was to switch between your character and the Helper temporarily so that you could control the Helper character, but due to the UI malfunctioning during CBT2, we could not use the feature. We will make the feature available for the next version so send your opinions on that when you test it next time.

▲ The switching didn’t work properly so we could not test it well.

Q) When is the next CBT or the commercial service?
A) There will be many changes taking place in CBT3 so the testers who played the previous tests may feel unfamiliar with the game in the next CBT so we are still discussing internally. We may start the tests in other countries or launch FGT2, but nothing is decided yet.

We are planning to invite a few testers to our studio to receive their precise feedback. We will try our best to upload the next post or announce new information within a short period of time. We always appreciate for your support and cheers.
Bitrip
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Squire

Re: Post CBT2 Q&A

Post by Bitrip » May 20th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Q) The tempo of battles is a little slow. Do you have plans to make them faster?
The server has to verify every user input. We are quite at the limit right now.
Flash how do you feel about the speed of combat in comparison to Ragnarok?
Now, which one of you will adorn me today?
Ramsus
Beginner

Post by Ramsus » May 20th, 2015, 4:22 pm

Flash wrote:Q) How many ranks can you implement for the Open Beta?
A) Our original plan was to have 10 ranks but we are considering to change it. With about 20 hidden classes we'd go for 8 ranks instead.
Mhh... How does the Hidden Classes works? Are they like extra ranks that you get from special quests or you need to leave a rank free to be able to get them?
Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » May 20th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Bitrip wrote:
Q) The tempo of battles is a little slow. Do you have plans to make them faster?
The server has to verify every user input. We are quite at the limit right now.
Flash how do you feel about the speed of combat in comparison to Ragnarok?
Well I'm not completely sure what the question was about. I thought it was about the monster and especially boss speed which is still slower than RO and probably can be improved.
There anwser was more about the controls and those already felt pretty good even though I had latency issues and seem to be smoother than they were in RO.

Ramsus wrote:
Flash wrote:Q) How many ranks can you implement for the Open Beta?
A) Our original plan was to have 10 ranks but we are considering to change it. With about 20 hidden classes we'd go for 8 ranks instead.
Mhh... How does the Hidden Classes works? Are they like extra ranks that you get from special quests or you need to leave a rank free to be able to get them?
We don't know too much about them. I guess they will simply replace the top 2 ranks so instead of switching to Rank 9 -> Rank 10 you will be able to select 1 or maybe 2 hidden classes once you reach Rank 8. Those are probably not promoted as the lower ranks and you will need to find the master NPC in the world and maybe you'll need a finish more complex quests. But that's just speculation.
Arrex
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+1

Post by Arrex » May 20th, 2015, 5:43 pm

I really hope they do cut out the animation-cancelling-thing. Though it proved in LoL (the only other game I know where animation-cancelling is excessively used) to be a mechanic to master and improve the learning-curve, in an RPG where Immersion and Identification with the Character are important, it's an absolute turnoff. "Oh hey, the world looks so nice and cute and everything's consistent and OH MY GOD THEY'RE HAVING A SEIZURE!!"
Not cool. Really.

Well, the question about was unreadable, but still gave me a chuckle trying. That korean syntax is just funny. ^^

Am I the only one to cheer for mouse-controls? Like, really? REALLY? PRETTYPLEASE?!
Yvolt
Newcomer

Post by Yvolt » May 20th, 2015, 5:47 pm

What FGT means?
Erokhi
Apprentice
Guild: Crimson Knights
Timezone: GMT+7

Post by Erokhi » May 20th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Thanks a lot for the translation.
About time they mention the secret class. 20 of them huh.
Satorichu
Apprentice
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Favorite Class: Kabbalist

Post by Satorichu » May 20th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Hm. It's nice to know this. I've started stalking the Fanbase again :slur: and awakening from my slumber upon the end of the CBT2. I'm getting all hyped and excited again and spreading the news and information to my friends who are also starting to get into ToS. :ok:

I'm spreading that ToS hype disease. :heh:
Gismor
Newcomer
Guild: Tea Time

Post by Gismor » May 20th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Yvolt wrote:What FGT means?
FGT is the acronym for Focus Group Test. In such a test the game is only available for a small amount of players to get direct feedback. The FGT of Tree of Savior was at the imcGames studio so it was only available for koreans and the testers weren't able to post pictures or videos.
vegax87
Apprentice
Timezone: GMT+1
Favorite Class: Wugushi

Post by vegax87 » May 20th, 2015, 6:16 pm

FGT means Focus Group Test, a group that provides every possible feedback about the game features
Aurora
Beginner

Post by Aurora » May 20th, 2015, 7:32 pm

Flash wrote: Q) Quest There is no boredom immersive
Quest that is a quest feels bored bored immersive, in a development team quest is due to be continued supply indefinitely, it is determined. Than Quest given endlessly and to not even wanna another, I thought it would be meaningless if it is not haunted find the fire in the eyes, in the next version, and plans to test in version with enhanced remuneration to hide most of the quest you. It is not
Lol this made me question my English. Anyone know what this is actually talking about? Were the quests boring or was it talking about a specific quest titled something about boredom? lol

And yes please mouse control!
Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » May 20th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Aurora wrote:
Flash wrote: Q) Quest There is no boredom immersive
Quest that is a quest feels bored bored immersive, in a development team quest is due to be continued supply indefinitely, it is determined. Than Quest given endlessly and to not even wanna another, I thought it would be meaningless if it is not haunted find the fire in the eyes, in the next version, and plans to test in version with enhanced remuneration to hide most of the quest you. It is not
Lol this made me question my English. Anyone know what this is actually talking about? Were the quests boring or was it talking about a specific quest titled something about boredom? lol

And yes please mouse control!
It's 1:1 google translate. I tried kr -> en and kr -> jp -> en but I wasn't able to understand it so I had to use it liek that :/
Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » May 21st, 2015, 2:48 pm

Added official translation from Dev Blog.
Ramsus
Beginner

Post by Ramsus » May 22nd, 2015, 2:11 am

Flash wrote: Q) The quests in the game are not too exciting.
We concluded that the reason why the quests feel somewhat boring is because the game is supplying too many quests.

Instead of supplying too many quests that are lacking in their purposes and meanings, we believe that it will be more meaningful for players to search for the quests enthusiastically themselves so we are planning to hide most of the quests.
Well, now that makes sense. And I think the problem is that there are too many "Kill 20 X and bring Y item back to me" type of quests, and nobody like those kind of quest, the quests in RO where more about reading and exploration and I think those are the kind of quests that people are expecting for this game.
Charon
Newcomer

Post by Charon » May 22nd, 2015, 11:54 am

Q) The locations of the Class Masters were dispersed too much so I had hard times looking for them.
A) Our plan was to utilize various places in the fields, but after reviewing the results from CBT2, we decided that it wasn’t satisfactory so we will eventually move each of them to the villages in the game.
Wtf? Not having the class masters delivered to your door is a plus in my book o-o
I don't want classes to be handed to us in a class-hub or something.
The basic attacks would still be used by players even if their characters reach the maximum level, and even if a skill has a low usage, there will be circumstances that players should use such skill.
The key is to make every skill somewhat unique. I can see this work with Wizard spells and whatnot, but I can see lots of generic swordsman damaging skills become obsolete with higher classes. So yes please, all skills should have some use.
Q) The quests in the game are not too exciting.

Well sure
Quality story/exploration/party driven quests > generic repetitive short "collect 20 stuffs for reward" quests
And same as with the class masters, quests being scattered throughout this world is more exciting than having them shoved in your face all at once without even going anywhere.
Q) I really liked the game pad compatibility, but targeting is still somewhat uncomfortable.
A) After CBT2, we came with an idea to attack and cancel attack with the mouse so our main programmer is working on the mouse control in such a long time.

▲ The mouse control that we are testing at the moment. It will be used with WASD.
O_O

I mean, okay, adding more control methods should't be a bad thing... but (at least that's my perception of it) them being open to changing core features of the game like this because people (most of whom haven't played it yet anyway) whine that it is not exactly identical to how RO played, bothers me a bit ^^"

If they find it is an improvement and it works for the game, then fine, but FFCC-style controls instead of mouse is a "change" I was hyped for from the beginning.
noori1
Beginner

Post by noori1 » May 22nd, 2015, 12:51 pm

Me and my friend who want to play this game still agree that boss battle were too easy. even for early level boss, it shouldn't be that easy. Do you guys know anime Log Horizon? I hope that in next CBT/OBT, the boss battle can be like in that anime, to make it harder and exciting for Players. basically, there's skill area boss used to attack all the players and it will obviously 100% hit and way to prevent it, is by working together with player's skill. and other things to make boss battle harder is boss auto attack more frequently and lot of area auto attack :)) just our opinion though...hope they fulfill this. :kis:
Mr.Nova
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: EST (GMT+4)
Favorite Class: Templar

Post by Mr.Nova » May 27th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Amg, that mouse control video :awsm:

It's not even because of RO

I just always have loved mouse control

Although with controller support, that might be an option I end up trying out as well.
TOSBase Chat!
Discord Channel - IRC Channel
Arrex
Apprentice

Post by Arrex » May 27th, 2015, 6:40 pm

Imagine they allow you to use both: WASD+Spacebar for Moving, Mouse for targeting & Attacks. Sure, that's not an easy thing, but the dynamics esp. for range- and mage-classes are REAL. x)
Gaz
Beginner

Post by Gaz » May 27th, 2015, 11:34 pm

That mouse control video. It'll make playing an archer so much easier XD

Good thing I've got my Dota 2 experience under my belt >:)