Planning on my build

Leynerishkigal
Newcomer
Server: [EU] Fedimian
Team Name: Leynerishkigal

Planning on my build

Post by Leynerishkigal » May 20th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Hi there it's the first time as plan for a build.

I wanted to know if this kind build would work (a hybrid of a Hoplite and Barbarian so to speak).

http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... gm687vuws/

I thought that the lack of "advance" class would hurt it so I'm asking in advance
arzh.mael
Apprentice
Guild: GravityError
Favorite Class: Doppelsöldner
Team Name: ArzhMael

Re: Planning on my build

Post by arzh.mael » May 21st, 2016, 8:55 am

Leynerishkigal wrote: I thought that the lack of "advance" class would hurt it so I'm asking in advance
And you were right!
It can work, but the lack of r5~7 is an huge hole in your damages/utility.
Add to it, Barbarian is a good leveling class because he get fast (on rank 4) high AoE damages skills and Physical Attack buffs.
Taking such spells on rank 6+ lose all needs.
Leynerishkigal
Newcomer

Post by Leynerishkigal » May 21st, 2016, 11:01 am

Thanks for your answer arzh.mael. So I have to choose between hoplite or barbarian for rank 3->4 with r5 beeing a filler and r6->7 beeing an advance class if I undestand it right. If peltasta wasn't require for the utility I would have grab highlander but...
arzh.mael
Apprentice

Post by arzh.mael » May 21st, 2016, 2:38 pm

You are right. ;)
Most common choice is to go for Hoplite if you like Spears, Pierce type damages (+50% agains leather -50% agains cloth) and "Finestra" high critical rate and Barbarian if you prefer Two-handed swords, AoE attacks and physical damages buffs.

Rank 5 is a Class filler like you said, most common choices in this kind of builds are:
- Barbarian C3 for Warcry & Frenzy attributes.
- Hoplite C3 for maxed Finestra and Spear Throw (nice ranged skill with 0 cd).
- Corsair C1 for Iron Hook, for PvP 9 sec undefendable CC.
Leynerishkigal
Newcomer

Post by Leynerishkigal » May 21st, 2016, 7:28 pm

Thank again arzh.mael. The char customisation is quite tough for this game as you can't go back once an advancement is chosen. :cry:

Now I have another question if you don't mind. Does the critical rate buff of cleace stack with the one of Finestra? If yes, do you think the buff from cleave is worth it in taking at least a rank in barbarian ?

If no, I've several idea but if you could just enlighten me a bit more I would be grateful.

Something like this: 2nd build http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... eaeipw2cz/
3rd build http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... v6mr28dj8/
4th build http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... ritxjan25/
5th build http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... d810pkfie/

A combo of Corsair's Jolly Roger and Doppel's Deed of valor seems sweet on paper but I dunno in game.

Do you think that one of those build would be a smart way to build my char ? :hmm:

As for stat allocation I would say a high STR build with CON would be good but what about SPR (if I go skill spamming ?)

As always, thank you in advance.
arzh.mael
Apprentice

Post by arzh.mael » May 22nd, 2016, 1:01 pm

Hello!
You are welcome, ;)
Does the critical rate buff of cleace stack with the one of Finestra?
Yes it does, but I don't think it worth Barbarian C1.
Cleave gives you +50 crit for 5 sec.
Change this Circle with 1 more Hoplite Circle and you have 5 more lvl in Fienestra: +50% crit & +10% block all the time.
Add to it you improves all others Hoplite skills and unlock new ones while Barbarians C1 doesn't give you that much tools.

About Jolly Roger, I don't think it's that great. Better to party with a Corsair (any tank will grab it for PvP purpose) than wasting your points in it.

:ic:
The only reason to go for Barbarian C1 is for the kTOS changes: Overheat 3 & +50% slash damages for 5sec. But we don't know when it will comes on our servers. In this case it may be a good option...
Some kind of Hop'barian Drag'soeldner with Spear Lunge (+% Pierce damages) and Cleave (+% Slash damages).
Looking at Doppel' and Dragoon you have a good mix of slash and pierce skills... Could be fun.
:hmm:

Looking at your builds, It seems you chose the Spear Way. ^^
And they seems all quite good!
:no1:

Wich one to chose is all up to you, while second and fourth builds are dual-wielding (one-handed spear+dagger), third and fifth can be "Two-handed Spear" based.
Here are just few changes I would make:
• If you pick Corsair C2, you should rather put some points into Double Weapon Assault than Jolly Roger or/and Keel Hauling.
It will gives you a great Auto-attack while all your abilities are on cooldown.
• Your third build is a well known one and one of the most "meta". You should just think about put 1 pt into Mordshlag for the CC (and an additionnal Strike damages source).

About stats allocation, I don't think SPR worth it for damages purposes. You should get enough SPR, SP regen and SP on your gears/collections/hair costumes/...
Since you have Finestra and doesn't realy need to put points in DEX (just a few or none), the best way is a mix of STR and CON.
Leynerishkigal
Newcomer

Post by Leynerishkigal » May 22nd, 2016, 3:04 pm

Your :hlp: is really appreciated arzh.mael. :thx:

For the kTOS change: are the +50% slash damages added to the +50 crit or does is substitute it ? I'll keep that in mind as barbarian will only be used as a filler in that case, so after hoplite C2 (there's still a long way to go)

Well I choose the spear way because it look like less reliant on auto-attacks. I, myself, am more of a 2H sword guy but I was unable to come with a build that could satisfy me. The first draft was something like this http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... 4qz47f1fjf but since I learn that the buff from finestra is canceled once you switch weapon... :sob:

Barbarian was out of the equation as frenzy "shine" only with C3 and I think that +%damages (from doppel C1) is more appealing than +damages (from Barbarian C3) and would be good for an auto-attack heavy build (Barbarian C3 (frenzy)> corsair C2 (double weapon assault))

The second problem is that the only way to guard with a 2h sword, cross-guard, is quite a pain to substain at low lvl while C-guarding is sp free.

And lastly I read that spear got a better reach than sword (dunno about 2h sword tho).

I don't know if all the above points are true as I only got them through other post or review of TOS classes.

For now I think I'll go Hoplite C2 (as it is the base of all my build), and wait for the update.
arzh.mael
Apprentice

Post by arzh.mael » May 22nd, 2016, 6:36 pm

For the kTOS change: are the +50% slash damages added to the +50 crit or does is substitute it ?
It is added. In fact, it's a debuff: The targets of Cleave take 50% more Slash damages.

I understand you, I am not a Spear Guy too...
But spears builds are more powerfull than swords builds ATM (thanks Finestra).
My personal plan is playing a "no weapon restriction build" based on Barbarian & C1 Doppelsoeldners skills waiting (or dreaming) for a rank 8 or more class wich will add a new kind of weapon... Like Axes.
And if there are no such classes, I can still go for 2handed-swords for Doppelsoeldner C2+ skills.

:ok:

I highly doubted when I had to chose my rank 2 class... Highlander or Peltasta?
:panic:
But party utility from Peltasta, Swash Buckling & survivability attributes wich allow you to play the tank/lure if your group needs it, won over Highlander +50% critical attribute and Crossguard (wich cost SP AND stand only for few sec)...

BTW, your link didn't work. :/
Leynerishkigal
Newcomer

Post by Leynerishkigal » May 23rd, 2016, 5:57 pm

At first, I wanted to play full DPS with something like swordman C1>Highlander C1->C2 >Hoplite C1->C2 > Doppel C1->C2 playing with a single-edge sword (like the nodachi) or someting like this http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... qz47f1fjf/ (that was what was shown by the broken link, sorry about that :sry: )

I was thinking the same way while choosing the first advancement: Party Utilty or playing as I would like to but being unable to continue if something need to be done by a party because to be honest who want a swordman that doesn't want to tank ?
Leynerishkigal
Newcomer

Post by Leynerishkigal » May 26th, 2016, 8:05 pm

On another note, what do you think of status ailment? Do they work on bosses ?

If yes what would be the "best" way to put a swordman type that use mostly debuff and status ailment (kind of like the dark hunter from etrian odyssey) ?

I saw that vertical slash got a boost in damage depending on the number of debuff but I was unable to find how much ! Seeing the description this skill seems worth the trouble going the Highlander way but is it really the case? :hmm:

Thank again for answering me :no1:
arzh.mael
Apprentice

Post by arzh.mael » May 27th, 2016, 10:11 am

Hi again.
Aaaah... Etrian Oddysey. Quite a good and hard game.
:no1:

Somes ailments are good, others are bad... I personaly prefer to max damages than adding some utility.
I can't realy answer about wich status ailments works on boss and wich doesnt...

About Vertical Slash (it works on boss), I don't know how much is the +% damages from ailments but I have heard that it's a bad skill because even with bonus from ailments, it still have bad base damages.

I think the best ailment of Swordsman class is Armor Break (from Highlander and Peltasta C3), but I don't like to rely on them since you have to advance too far in a Rank 2 class...
:hmm: