New Player/Builds

Kittens
Newcomer

New Player/Builds

Post by Kittens » May 12th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Hola, I'm just about to start playing Tree with some friends - and while I would normally ask them for help in figuring out 'what works' before I try rolling it, they've basically decided what to play based on what had the cutest outfits; Thats not really my jam. I was hoping to get feedback on a few builds, and maybe catch a few suggestions if anyone was feeling generous. I should probably point out that for the most part I tend to enjoy passive abilities, League of Legends is about my skill level when it comes to ability activation for example, and I'm not -that- concerned with being top of pyramid when it comes to min-maxing, although to be frank I'm aiming for something thats effective in pve and .. well, as okay as a non-mounted swordsman can be in pvp.

Just for the sake of "wtf was he thinking" - my impression, based on what I've heard, of tanking in Tree is that theres really no such thing; Instead of meatshield tanking, tanks in tree are all about grabbing aggro and not dying, while being able to deal damage to the same crowd, while in close quarters. If I'm wrong about that, or if true tanking is more viable, I'd be delighted to consider those builds as well.

http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... pr96is2vc/
Swordy-Peltasta-Peltasta-Barb-Barb-Doppel-Doppel [Sword/Board]
Okay, so for this one I just banked on Swashbuckling to crowd in folks and then barbarian powers to deal some damage. The single target damage boost seems like it could be handy in a group fight, vs bosses, while the doppel gives a more flat bonus to damage at a fairly marginal (if my math isn't trash) penalty to damage suffered on-hit.

http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... 39ps4ejku/
Swordy-Peltasta-Hoplite-Hoplite-Hoplite-Doppel-Dragoon [Spear/Board]
I'm really not sure what to say about this one, it probably falls more on the category of "tanking via helping kill things faster" - although I like hoplite's shield block % which just seems obscenely better than anything in the Peltasta tree.

http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... 42n9m2rvn/
And a sort of middle-grounder, which should ideally be able to grab aggro without any difficulty and manage an exceptional block rate.

I also considered a Swordy-Pelt-Pelt-Rodelero-Rodelero-Fencer-Fencer but Rodelero seems a lackluster class primarily taken for slither - In any case, I'd be happy to hear some suggestions; I mostly plan to play with friends, I'm not -overly- concerned with painful levelling - I've played lots of grindy games, but I do want something that people, beyond my friends, could invite along with them without feeling as if they were part of some outreach program. Thanks!
Kittens
Newcomer

Re: New Player/Builds

Post by Kittens » May 13th, 2016, 4:50 am

No thoughts? :/
arzh.mael
Apprentice
Guild: GravityError
Favorite Class: Doppelsöldner
Server: [EU] Fedimian
Team Name: ArzhMael

Re: New Player/Builds

Post by arzh.mael » May 13th, 2016, 4:55 pm

As promissed, here is your answer! ^^

You aproximatly understood how tanking works... ;)
On the current state of the game, a true tank will absolutly ignore physical damages.
But the magical damages can't be blocked or dodged while ignoring your "physical defense"... The only way to reduce this kind of damages is Magical defense (from bracelets) and elemental resistance.
And the damages calculation of thoses kind of defense made them useless.... Sooo, the best way to tank magic damages is: RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN (avoid it) and pray to have enough HP (when you can't avoid it).

And it is WHY peltasta are the best tanks. SWASH BUCKLING gives you the capacity to keep agro on monsters even if you don't hit them.

Now, about your builds.
The choice of classes of the first build looks almost like mine except i go for barbarian C3 instead of Peltasta C2.
To be honest, I am not realy a tank. I m more a Damage Dealer wich can handle to play the role of tank in dungeons or grinding spots if needed.
Why? Simply because I prefer to improve more my STR than my CON.
Depending of your goal, you will have to chose the right ratio of STR:CON.
If you want to be a true tank I recommand you some Sw/Pelta C3/Corsair C1/Doppel or Fencer.

You second class build is a famous one. But it's not a tank buid. Put a 2 hand spear once you are r7 and you have one of the most PvE DD current meta.
Yes you can turn it into a tank build, adding more CON. But it ll never be as good as Peltasta C3 in term of keeping agro of the monsters.

About your last build you would have far more utility in PvP going for the build i give you above (with Corsair) than wasting your C5&6 circles for a C3 classe.

I didnt answer to all your questions nor give you details on skills choice because I prefer to give you the choice of your classbuild before talking in-deep of it. ;)

You are welcome if you have any questions.