Neptune's Bounty™ (Open & Recruiting!)

SickleStorm
Beginner

Re: Neptune's Bounty™ (Open & Recruiting!)

Post by SickleStorm » December 19th, 2014, 10:09 am

I think that's a matter of communicating with those kinds of players.

Not everybody understands how a game works, or are familiar with seemingly commonplace knowledge.

Maybe it's their first game.
Maybe their class plays a role they're not used to.
Maybe they have something else in mind, something different from the rest of the group.

Who knows?

What I do know is that there is much less chance for failure when everyone understands what the goal is, and agree on how to achieve it. Make plans beforehand. Communicate with each other during objectives. Tell them what you expect, and listen to what they have in mind. Compromise differences. Make up for deficiencies.

It's a Massively Multiplayer Online game, there's bound to be loads people you won't immediately understand. Directly interacting with others and getting to know them is a large part of having fun in these kinds of games.
Mr.Nova
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: EST (GMT+4)
Favorite Class: Templar

Post by Mr.Nova » December 19th, 2014, 10:13 pm

SickleStorm wrote:I think that's a matter of communicating with those kinds of players.

Not everybody understands how a game works, or are familiar with seemingly commonplace knowledge.

Maybe it's their first game.
Maybe their class plays a role they're not used to.
Maybe they have something else in mind, something different from the rest of the group.

Who knows?

What I do know is that there is much less chance for failure when everyone understands what the goal is, and agree on how to achieve it. Make plans beforehand. Communicate with each other during objectives. Tell them what you expect, and listen to what they have in mind. Compromise differences. Make up for deficiencies.

It's a Massively Multiplayer Online game, there's bound to be loads people you won't immediately understand. Directly interacting with others and getting to know them is a large part of having fun in these kinds of games.
I'm not referring to a lack of communication, and even with people who it's their first game to simply reach endgame, maxed level content and still have no idea what they're doing that confuses me.

I mean, many games have special tutorials for learning basic mechanics, or quest lines that show you how a particular crafting, combat, etc system works. Not to mention that just to reach the very end level content, you've more than likely had to do these things multiple times.

For someone to have no idea what they're doing after that I just don't understand :\

There's only so much you can communicate in the middle of a fight.

At some point, a person needs to have a basic level of understanding what they're doing or it's just doomed to failure.

Maybe I'm missing something :hmm:
TOSBase Chat!
Discord Channel - IRC Channel
Vince
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC +1

Post by Vince » December 19th, 2014, 10:44 pm

I sent an application, hope you noticed :ok:
Mr.Nova
Donator

Post by Mr.Nova » December 19th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Vince wrote:I sent an application, hope you noticed :ok:
I'll check it right now! P: :!:

Welcome to the guild! ^^

UPDATE!

Unfortunately, the other guild was having some issues, and isn't available to host us on their TeamSpeak server currently.

In the meantime, I have set up a Mumble server for any of those who wish to jump on and chat!

Information will be posted on the main page when available!

If there are any questions regarding downloading and installing Mumble, feel free to send me a PM.
TOSBase Chat!
SickleStorm
Beginner

Post by SickleStorm » December 20th, 2014, 12:36 am

Mr.Nova wrote: I'm not referring to a lack of communication, and even with people who it's their first game to simply reach endgame, maxed level content and still have no idea what they're doing that confuses me.

I mean, many games have special tutorials for learning basic mechanics, or quest lines that show you how a particular crafting, combat, etc system works. Not to mention that just to reach the very end level content, you've more than likely had to do these things multiple times.
Well, when you came across these players, did you let them know that they weren't doing all that great?
Or did you just kind of roll your eyes, rage at the screen when they goofed, and gripe about them behind their backs?

It's important to note that when you party with someone who's doing less than ideal, and go through the content without telling them they're doing horrible, they'll just keep doing what they know to do. Especially if you manage to carry them despite their shortcomings, and end up succeeding.

Some games encourage pick up groups, you know, PUGs. There's a good chance that they've been carried through the game by people who knew what they were doing.

Other games make their content soloable. I've never really understood why that appears so much in MMOs, but it's there. You could go through the entire game all alone as a support class, without knowledge of how to cooperate with others, and still reach endgame content.

And finally, their perception of their role could be a different-yet-viable view than yours. You might see a Priest and think they need to buff and heal others, but I've seen my share of players who used support classes as a tank. They might be a Guardian to you, but perhaps they've focused their build on buffing allies from the back lines. You never know, and it's hazardous to assume.

Which is why I emphasize communication so much. MMOs are games where there's countless other players you'll likely never be able to wholly account for. When you group with someone new, if you insist on clearing the content, it's an extremely good idea to let them know what you expect of them, and learn what they expect of you and want to do.

All things considered, I would imagine it irritates you on some level when someone doesn't seem to understand the game. Wouldn't it be more fun to explain to them and possibly even gain a friend in the process, than to let them keep screwing up and building up your frustration?
Mr.Nova
Donator

Post by Mr.Nova » December 20th, 2014, 1:11 am

This isn't really something I'm seeking to make a debate.

I'm simply sharing something that I see quite often in many of the games that I've played, which would be a seemingly large amount of players at the end-game/competitive level with no clear knowledge of how to proceed.

Thank you for your thoughts on the subject; however, if this is something you feel like pursuing, please make a thread for it.
TOSBase Chat!
JubbaDaButt
Newcomer

Post by JubbaDaButt » December 20th, 2014, 6:14 am

I sent an application, i would love to join the guild. :no1:
Mr.Nova
Donator

Post by Mr.Nova » December 20th, 2014, 6:43 am

JubbaDaButt wrote:I sent an application, i would love to join the guild. :no1:
Thanks for the interest ^^

If you wouldn't mind taking a few minutes to introduce yourself, it'd be great to get to know more about you!

Feel free to browse others threads for ideas, if you need some hints to get started!

Click here!
TOSBase Chat!
SickleStorm
Beginner

Post by SickleStorm » December 20th, 2014, 7:12 am

Sorry, just wanted to make a point and help you since you're mentioning that your guild is social and casual, but what you were saying about other players didn't exactly come off as either.
Mr.Nova
Donator

Post by Mr.Nova » December 20th, 2014, 8:03 am

SickleStorm wrote:Sorry, just wanted to make a point and help you since you're mentioning that your guild is social and casual, but what you were saying about other players didn't exactly come off as either.
It's still possible to be social and be irked by naivety.

Plus, as mentioned in our introduction, this guild is comprised of both casual and competitive players.

Not strictly social only.
TOSBase Chat!
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » January 15th, 2015, 8:20 pm

Mr.Nova wrote:I'm not referring to a lack of communication, and even with people who it's their first game to simply reach endgame, maxed level content and still have no idea what they're doing that confuses me.
This issue isn't always a player based issue, these days mmo games will be easy mode until you hit max level and then it becomes hardcore centred so the people who didn't learn their job because the game didn't make them just breezed through and then later were terribly unprepared for what the endgame had in store, this was most jarring in FFXIV to name a recent game as in that levels 1-50 were boring because they were so easy, nothing felt like it had any challenge.
then you get to level 50 and suddenly the game wants you to PERFECTLY work with your team and know your job completely.

Of course you still get idiots who don't pay attention but just saying that sometimes the player is not always at fault.
just my thoughts on the matter.
Mr.Nova
Donator

Post by Mr.Nova » January 15th, 2015, 10:24 pm

Rosenakahara wrote: This issue isn't always a player based issue, these days mmo games will be easy mode until you hit max level and then it becomes hardcore centred so the people who didn't learn their job because the game didn't make them just breezed through and then later were terribly unprepared for what the endgame had in store, this was most jarring in FFXIV to name a recent game as in that levels 1-50 were boring because they were so easy, nothing felt like it had any challenge.
then you get to level 50 and suddenly the game wants you to PERFECTLY work with your team and know your job completely.

Of course you still get idiots who don't pay attention but just saying that sometimes the player is not always at fault.
just my thoughts on the matter.
At least in FFXIV though, they actually require you to participate in dungeons at certain intervals to get the hang of role mechanics.

But the real FFXIV endgame does require a higher level of understanding.
Last edited by Mr.Nova on January 19th, 2015, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOSBase Chat!
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » January 16th, 2015, 12:48 pm

The Problem was that you basically had to MASTER your job by the time you got to binding coil, none of the other level 50 dungeons or the levels 1-49 ones made you do this, they gave you an idea but nothing strained your abilities and that was a problem because then you get to turn 5 and well.......when i left that game there were STILL people stuck on it and a static was basically required.
Mr.Nova
Donator

Post by Mr.Nova » January 16th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Rosenakahara wrote:The Problem was that you basically had to MASTER your job by the time you got to binding coil, none of the other level 50 dungeons or the levels 1-49 ones made you do this, they gave you an idea but nothing strained your abilities and that was a problem because then you get to turn 5 and well.......when i left that game there were STILL people stuck on it and a static was basically required.
Lol...

I actually just PF'd T5 last week, and then DF'd T6 afterwards.

I still haven't cleared Mog Ex though. Thinking I'm gonna need to PF it, or try and motivate my guild.

Wasted like 6 hours trying to DF it -.- Never again (but I'll probably do it anyway)
TOSBase Chat!
Michio
Apprentice
Guild: N/A
Timezone: GMT+8

Post by Michio » March 24th, 2015, 3:00 am

I might be joining but still not sure. Let's just see when it's official launch.

:no1:

Interest : Wizard - Chronomaster
Mr.Nova
Donator

Post by Mr.Nova » March 25th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Michio wrote:I might be joining but still not sure. Let's just see when it's official launch.

:no1:

Interest : Wizard - Chronomaster
No worries P:

We're kind of dead atm due to lack of updates e.e

That, and I'm juggling my last couple of semesters in college >_>
TOSBase Chat!
Michio
Apprentice

Post by Michio » March 26th, 2015, 2:04 am

People will start coming once more content are updated :gg:
Mr.Nova
Donator

Post by Mr.Nova » March 28th, 2015, 1:46 am

Michio wrote:People will start coming once more content are updated :gg:
Hopefully.

These next few weeks are gonna be rough for me though e.e

I really need to get to work on that guild logo v.v
TOSBase Chat!
Michio
Apprentice

Post by Michio » March 28th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Mr.Nova wrote:
Michio wrote:People will start coming once more content are updated :gg:
Hopefully.

These next few weeks are gonna be rough for me though e.e

I really need to get to work on that guild logo v.v
Nice one, goodluck with the logo design. :no1:
I haven't decided whether to create or to just join a guild. let's see when the beta for International is announced.

:ok:
Hemo
Donator
Timezone: UTC+3
Favorite Class: Cryomancer

Post by Hemo » April 9th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Hey, Nova its been awhile.. hey there is something I've been thinking about! I was just looking at the forums and I saw one guy looking for a roleplaying guild and I got this idea! since we're a casual guild.. I say we roleplay with the roleplaying guilds and pvp with pvping guilds etc.. it would be cool :P
made by wangqr from deviantart