Gamepad support

Ask your Questions for the Developer Team you want us to forward to them.
Kekero
Newcomer

Gamepad support

Post by Kekero » August 30th, 2014, 8:28 am

I was wondering, since the game is going to be keyboard only, will it have gamepad support too?

I have pretty bad tendinitis and the only way I found comfortable to play games is with a gamepad. I would be so happy, so freaking happy if ToS had gamepad support. I remember when I could play Ragnarok Online but that was years ago. If I tried to play that again my hand would be ruined in pain.
Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Re: Gamepad support

Post by Flash » August 30th, 2014, 8:41 am

They said that they are trying to make the game playable with a gamepad but it hasn't been announced as an official feature yet.
Vrenna
Apprentice

Post by Vrenna » August 30th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Kekero wrote:I was wondering, since the game is going to be keyboard only, will it have gamepad support too?

I have pretty bad tendinitis and the only way I found comfortable to play games is with a gamepad. I would be so happy, so freaking happy if ToS had gamepad support. I remember when I could play Ragnarok Online but that was years ago. If I tried to play that again my hand would be ruined in pain.
Now, that's both a relevant question and feature request. :no1:
... It might be great to play ToS with a gamepad now that I think about it. :rice:
Goldmind
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+30

Post by Goldmind » August 31st, 2014, 2:57 am

I'm much more inclined to play with a mouse for directional control and keyboard for assessment and interaction. Just like the old RO way!

Using Z, X, C (atk, jump, alt atk) is cumbersome for me considering I'm left-handed!
Mr.Nova
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: EST (GMT+4)
Favorite Class: Templar

Post by Mr.Nova » August 31st, 2014, 3:12 am

I definitely have my apprehensions about the control setup.

I'm not saying it can't work, and I do like the auto target nearest monster feature; however, not being able to select targets manually seems like a huge limitation.

The way it seems to be set up now, you can't select certain things to attack, or certain party members to heal, everything's just one big AoE or nearest enemy only.

It could still be a great system, I've just personally never played something like that so it feels weird to me just thinking about it.
TOSBase Chat!
Discord Channel - IRC Channel
Vrenna
Apprentice

Post by Vrenna » August 31st, 2014, 6:12 am

I think we should give a chance for something new at least for once you know.
Actually, if they add mouse for this game I'll be a bit disappointed, since I'm looking for this specific gameplay style they are developing.
Goldmind
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+30

Post by Goldmind » August 31st, 2014, 6:31 am

Oh, I definitely will at least experience the recommended layout.

It's just ... when you are using Z, X, C to interact with monsters and THEN you want to switch out a weapon, you gotta use the mouse to move items around.

Basically, the transition from ZXC to the mouse then back to ZXC would break my immersion. You know what I mean? It's not a frustration ... it's more like a lack of understanding of their decision on this.

Of course, there's probably hot keys which I think the Devs have incorporated.
Laima
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+8

Post by Laima » August 31st, 2014, 6:43 am

I do think we should reserve judgment until we've tried it for ourselves, especially since the blog's say on it is rather counter intuitive - that mouse control was actually inconvenient for the developers and the testers (the only people who've ever had their hands on the game). Besides, they'll likely re-implement it if several users complain during closed beta.

For Goldmind's first concern, the devs did say they'll try to include keyboard customization before the commercial launch. Unfortunately, that could mean after beta. :| For the second concern, yes you can hotkey equipment (it's in one of the screenshots), no need to alternate between keyboard and mouse.

By the way, if they aren't able to implement gamepad support soon enough, then chances are some players will come along and do it themselves. :D
Desperate for 1 key.
FakeLord
Beginner

Post by FakeLord » August 31st, 2014, 7:12 am

With applications such as JoyToKey, you can map your gamepad to keyboard keys in a matter of minutes. However, I doubt they'd skip on gamepad implementation. It isn't the hardest thing to do and, if the game doesn't use the mouse, I imagine almost everybody will want to use a gamepad. =x

As for targeting, I might be wrong, but I'd guess that there is a key to switch target. I think it'd nice to have as many control schemes as possible. The mouse could be used as an alternative for some players. For example, left click could select enemies for targeting or areas for spell targeting and right click be used to attack or cast spells.

This way, you could either use keyboard only, gamepad only or mouse and keyboard. I doubt any control scheme would give that much of an advantage to the player.