Dot Hack, Sword Art, Log Horizon

Silk
Apprentice

Dot Hack, Sword Art, Log Horizon

Post by Silk » July 15th, 2014, 9:04 pm

... Do I even have to say anything else for people to start talking about these? Okay fine I guess I should actually have a *point.*

Log Horizon, is it good? I haven't seen any of it, but it looks pretty interesting. Also which one is your favorite? Are you basically done with people being trapped in games at this point, because I am *certainly* not. But with 3 anime on the list, and one of them being massive (dot hack) it's practically becoming a genre at this point.

And what else have you heard of read in this theme? Ready Player One fans? Anybody?
Hasell
Beginner

Re: Dot Hack, Sword Art, Log Horizon

Post by Hasell » July 21st, 2014, 9:54 pm

I had watched sword art, It's one of my favorites animes.
I really cried when I thought that Yui had died.

Sevic
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC - 5

Post by Sevic » August 11th, 2014, 1:34 pm

No Game No Life is another good anime where gamers are trapped in a game. .Hack is by far my favorite, though, because I grew up watching .Hack//SIGN and playing .Hack//INFECTION and it's just very nostalgic for me. I really enjoyed SAO until it reached the ALfheim Online arc of the anime. I still enjoyed it, but it just wasn't as good as SAO.
Closed beta tester for first ToS iCB!
Goldmind
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+30

Post by Goldmind » August 12th, 2014, 12:55 am

Log Horizon is BY FAR the best anime of it's niche genre. In my opinion, it bests Sword Art Online and it's sequel in terms of story, character development, action, and even epic cliffhangers! You finish each episode wanting to know more and more of what happens next which I felt was a big factor to making Log Horizon so awesome.

So, give it a try. I highly recommend watching at least 5 episodes to see why it has such a strong hook. Also, the ED song is pretty catchy.

No Game No Life was fairly good for the story it was trying to tell. However, I felt the quirkiness of the main characters were a little too much.

Sword Art Online + sequel. ... I don't get why so much people hype up this anime. I really don't have any positive opinions or comments about it. It just doesn't stand out to me.
Silk
Apprentice

Post by Silk » August 12th, 2014, 3:31 am

Sword art online I feel isn't meant to stand out. I love it, but I also often find myself thinking of things in the form of potential rather than actuality.

I literally saw sword art online and said "this is the most agreeable, well rounded anime ever! This should be picked up by toonami, it's a perfect introduction to anime to introduce friends to"

It's not the most epic, but it doesn't cross any bounds with fan service, melo drama, or art style changes. It's totally agreeable and I think polished and fairly believable. Not something to dwell on for years or become depressed over, but fairly fun, clever, and quirky, with a nice clean modern art style, well designed everything, and a love able enough cast.
rippa87
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+8 Martian Time

Post by rippa87 » August 19th, 2014, 8:03 am

Totally agree with Goldmind on this.

The anime told a lot about the game itself (Elder Tale) and its mechanic, and the things that the player can do (including creating their own rules), making you fell in love with the game world with each passing episode. As for SAO, its more about the main characters journey and drama, his struggle to beat the game not only for himself but for the people close to him. Its typical shonen, action anime which happens in a game world. Its good, but not great. Just my opinion.
Soli
Newcomer

Post by Soli » August 19th, 2014, 10:53 am

As one who enjoys all three to a certain extent, I can say that they're all pretty good, especially if you love the genre, like me.

SAO..it was really, really good for the first half of the first season, but after that it kinda lost its momentum for me with the second half, focusing on ALO. The second season, which is currently airing, is pretty good so far though.

dotHack...well. *looks at avatar* Yeah. It's -really- amazing, and if you dedicate the time to it, you'll come to understand that "The World" it's set in (heh) really had some thought put into it. Again, though, it kinda takes dedication, somewhat...because there's just so much material, from novels to CG movies and everything in-between. You can still enjoy it without trying to see everything, though. The games are really fun and engaging.

Log Horizon is another pretty solid show. I've only watched the anime myself, but I really want to read the novel, because of how much I liked it. I feel like it has a different appeal from SAO and dotHack. SAO played out like a survival game, dotHack played out as..a sort of a crisis story, I suppose? Log Horizon, on the other hand, doesn't have that much danger involved; it's a story about getting trapped in a game, sure, but it focuses on actually establishing a life in the game world, even if temporary, with politics and everything involved. That part of it is really nice.

*ahem* Kind of a wall of text there, huh. Well, that's all I have to say. Check all three of them out, they're great.
Shima
Beginner
Timezone: UTC+8

Post by Shima » October 4th, 2014, 2:49 am

I have watched Sword Art Online before, I found the anime's pacing to be rather strange. Somehow there is a timeskip, an in-game waifu, and suddenly Asuna, all in the first three episodes. I only remember I watched it until the murder case before dropping it. It's a nice and adorable anime, but it didn't really hit me as anime of the year material.
Lilandri
Newcomer
Timezone: EST

Post by Lilandri » October 5th, 2014, 9:35 am

I personally prefer dot hack and Log Horizon. Dot hack was good because of it's mature and darker themes and interesting story-lines, and it was kind of the first in the MMO anime genre. While I find Log Horizon amazing because it's extremely easy to relate to. They go into great depth about the classes, how the game works, to the point where you feel this is a real game. They explain skills for each classes and go into how each class has different mechanics and how they work. It's extremely interesting. You can even go to the anime wiki and see the classes-- it almost feels like you're reading a Wiki for a MMO game.

I feel indifferent about SAO, it needlessly throws in romance in each season. I wouldn't mind if it was just a continuation of his romance with Asuna, but instead each season they add in a new heroine. It's just become a waifu simulator at this point. It's far too harem-ish and unbelievable. Not to mention, Kirito isn't even that attractive, I find him stereotypical shounen male, and doesn't really deserve the female attention he gets in the show-- but that's just me.

So IMO, dot hack and Log Horizon are the best out of the MMO anime genre. While on a personal level, I enjoy Log Horizon the most out of the three.
Goldmind
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+30

Post by Goldmind » October 5th, 2014, 7:36 pm

Lilandri wrote:I feel indifferent about SAO, it needlessly throws in romance in each season. I wouldn't mind if it was just a continuation of his romance with Asuna, but instead each season they add in a new heroine. It's just become a waifu simulator at this point. It's far too harem-ish and unbelievable. Not to mention, Kirito isn't even that attractive, I find him stereotypical shounen male, and doesn't really deserve the female attention he gets in the show-- but that's just me.

So IMO, dot hack and Log Horizon are the best out of the MMO anime genre. While on a personal level, I enjoy Log Horizon the most out of the three.

100/100 points !!

I wholly agree with everything. That's what irks me so much about Sword Art Online. First season was okay because the main character only had to deal with 1 romance interest AND it had potential to be an OUTSTANDING anime. But no, suddenly HALF-way 2, 3, 4 more romances pop-up and the genre suddenly went from action with a side of romance to full-blown romance for an unnecessary turn-back and now it's an outstanding anime for the wrong reasons, in my opinion. Season 2 is worse because they decided 'LET'S MAKE KIRITO A GIRL'. Now, I have to stare at a trap the whole time I'm watching it.

I don't hate Sword Art Online. I just find these changes to be tasteless and nonsensical. Stick with Asuna, let other romances go...