The Fall 2014 Anime Discussion

Pyuons
Beginner
Guild: Wintails
Timezone: GMT-5

The Fall 2014 Anime Discussion

Post by Pyuons » October 3rd, 2014, 12:03 am

AniChart's List of Fall 2014 Anime: http://anichart.net/fall

:bo: How is everybody? As those that follow the hobby may know, the fall 2014 anime season is now upon us! For myself that means two things I love - the crisp, autumn leaves, and a good episode to relax with! [I suppose some of you have different weather during this season. What's it like where you live?] :?:

Anyway, I would like to make this the hub for general chats relating to this season. Don't worry; even if you're not currently watching a simulcast, you're welcome to post about recent marathons you've done [or are in the process of doing] as well as anything else on your mind! I want to encourage all kinds of discussions, so there aren't any rules! [Please keep the more condescending arguments to a minimum though] :wah:

Finally - if you have one, leave your MyAnimeList profile link! It's a wonderful way to keep track of what you're watching, have watched, and plan to watch! Here's mine: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Pyuons
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Re: The Fall 2014 Anime Discussion

Post by Rosenakahara » October 3rd, 2014, 12:09 am

Meh nothing really looks that interesting to me except log horizon season 2, still waiting on that evangelion final debut

On the plus side fall seems to be less harem and more actual quality, the harem is still there but its overshadowed by the stuff that looks decent
Goldmind
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+30

Post by Goldmind » October 3rd, 2014, 2:15 am

My first impression is that this season is going to be a WHOLE leagues better than last season's. Last season was all about idol anime ... 2 of 3 which were not very engaging and entertaining to watch.

I'm most excited about Log Horizon S2. Akamae ga Kill (and ... Sword Art Online 2 ... >_>;) is still onging so my Sunday's are solid. Hitsugi no Chaika is back for season 2 which is good. It was decent, in my opinon.

Kiseijuu. Any psychological anime is A-OKAY in my books. Anime with this genre typically has overall good substance.

Denki-Gai no Honya-san. Grisaia no Kajitsu. And SHIROBAKO looks like a good watch.

The other ones listed, I usually give them an honest trial run before I un-bookmark them.
Pyuons
Beginner

Post by Pyuons » October 3rd, 2014, 11:33 pm

Rosenakahara wrote:Meh nothing really looks that interesting to me except log horizon season 2, still waiting on that evangelion final debut

On the plus side fall seems to be less harem and more actual quality, the harem is still there but its overshadowed by the stuff that looks decent
Aw, nothing new looks good to you? I can understand not wanting to try a pile of shows a season just to figure out what interests you, but to say that none appeal at all? That just makes me sad... :sob: From my experience, the best shows end up being the ones you were least expecting.
Goldmind wrote:My first impression is that this season is going to be a WHOLE leagues better than last season's. Last season was all about idol anime ... 2 of 3 which were not very engaging and entertaining to watch.

I'm most excited about Log Horizon S2. Akamae ga Kill (and ... Sword Art Online 2 ... >_>;) is still onging so my Sunday's are solid. Hitsugi no Chaika is back for season 2 which is good. It was decent, in my opinon.

Kiseijuu. Any psychological anime is A-OKAY in my books. Anime with this genre typically has overall good substance.

Denki-Gai no Honya-san. Grisaia no Kajitsu. And SHIROBAKO looks like a good watch.

The other ones listed, I usually give them an honest trial run before I un-bookmark them.
I love having Sundays crammed with anime! You get to watch a few episodes, but you don't feel like all of your time has escaped.

I can speak for Denki-Gai no Honya-san being a lot of fun. Going into the first episode yesterday, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Needless to say, there was a smile on my face the whole duration of the video. The lack of overused jokes was refreshing, especially considering they spent most of the episode in the 18+ section of the store.
Goldmind
Apprentice

Post by Goldmind » October 4th, 2014, 2:14 am

I just finished watching Denki-Gai.

It was a bit too relaxed for your average comedy-type anime, in my opinion. I mean, whenever there's an anime such as Working!!, Barakmon, or Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun then every other anime pales in actual comedy.

I'mma still keep watching it, though. I guess its pilot episode wasn't strong enough for me is all.
Pyuons
Beginner

Post by Pyuons » October 5th, 2014, 12:18 am

Goldmind wrote:I just finished watching Denki-Gai.

It was a bit too relaxed for your average comedy-type anime, in my opinion. I mean, whenever there's an anime such as Working!!, Barakmon, or Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun then every other anime pales in actual comedy.

I'mma still keep watching it, though. I guess its pilot episode wasn't strong enough for me is all.
Yeah, I can see how it's pretty relaxed. I actually think it's nice to have something like that mixed into the season, though. It's when that's all there is that it bothers me.

First episodes usually don't seem strong enough to keep my interest. From my experience, if the first episode hooks you, it'll be a good run. If it fails to capture your attention, it's hit-or-miss.

I just watched the first episode of "I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying" - it's just straight, mindless fun. Pretty good way to spend three and a half minutes. :no1:
Goldmind
Apprentice

Post by Goldmind » October 8th, 2014, 6:43 am

So far, I've seen nearly 75% of all pilot episodes for this season, and I gotta say we will have a GOOD season. A lot of them are my type of anime.

My top 5 so far:

- Log Horizon 2 (obvious reasons. Epicness packed in each episode)
- Grisaia no Kajitsu (the visual novel was excellent, so the story in the anime will be just as good)
- Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de (gotta have my school-drama genre anime fix)
- Ai Tenchi Muyo (it sucks so much it's only 4min each, but still a good watch)
- Sora no Method (it looks promising)

I am waiting to see Kiseijuu. This be the only psychological anime for this season. So I look forward to seeing some shocking, thriller stuff. Hopefully, its first episode won't fall flat.
Pyuons
Beginner

Post by Pyuons » October 8th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Goldmind wrote:So far, I've seen nearly 75% of all pilot episodes for this season, and I gotta say we will have a GOOD season. A lot of them are my type of anime.

My top 5 so far:

- Log Horizon 2 (obvious reasons. Epicness packed in each episode)
- Grisaia no Kajitsu (the visual novel was excellent, so the story in the anime will be just as good)
- Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de (gotta have my school-drama genre anime fix)
- Ai Tenchi Muyo (it sucks so much it's only 4min each, but still a good watch)
- Sora no Method (it looks promising)

I am waiting to see Kiseijuu. This be the only psychological anime for this season. So I look forward to seeing some shocking, thriller stuff. Hopefully, its first episode won't fall flat.
I'm also very pleased with everything this season. There's probably at least three good things I could say about all the shows I'm watching, and I eagerly anticipate their upcoming episodes. If I had to place my top five, right now they would be:

-Trinity Seven (The mysterious vibe I'm getting from it is excellent, plus the manga seems popular)
-Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de (It's not anything new, but I'm confident it will be done well)
-Sora no Method (I'm hooked after the first episode - I expect drama will ensue)
-Gugure! Kokkuri-san (Great humor; all that has to be done is continue it)
-Akatsuki no Yona (While it's shoujo, the setting is unique and I want to see how the main character grows)

The one that I'm extremely curious to see what they do with is Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo. There is so much potential, and given that it will have 25 episodes I can't help but wonder what direction it will take. However, if they do too much wrong it could very easily bomb. I'm going to try and stay positive about it though. :wah:
Goldmind
Apprentice

Post by Goldmind » October 9th, 2014, 1:58 am

I saw a tiny preview of the Cross Ange anime you mentioned. For THAT specific scene I saw, I don't know if I like how they directed it. What do you think? I'll leave it last on my list to watch just because I don't want to traumatize myself ...
Pyuons
Beginner

Post by Pyuons » October 9th, 2014, 2:06 am

Goldmind wrote:I saw a tiny preview of the Cross Ange anime you mentioned. For THAT specific scene I saw, I don't know if I like how they directed it. What do you think? I'll leave it last on my list to watch just because I don't want to traumatize myself ...
If it's the one scene that I think you're talking about... it definitely felt forced (pun not intended.) I feel like it's going to take another episode before I can decide if the series is worth dedicating that much time to. Nobody was expecting it though, I can confidently say that. I just thought I was getting girls mindlessly fighting dragons... :sob:
Goldmind
Apprentice

Post by Goldmind » October 11th, 2014, 2:53 am

I think I underestimated Denki-Gai no Honya-san. 2nd episode was full of awesomeness. Fu Girl has such a weird-but-funny fetish but thats okay because I ended up liking the whole character cast at the end. That combination scene was so ridiculous, ha ha.

EDIT:

My new favourite romcom, Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji!

Image + Image = Image

EDIT 2:

Psycho-Pass 2 Ep 04 was AMAZING - in terms of plot twist, I mean.

Glad I watch season 1 even though it felt like a slow and boring series as a whole. This series is getting better with each episode.