Why did RO2 fail? discuss. :gg:
made by wangqr from deviantart
Icystare
Wiki Manager
Timezone: GMT -5
Favorite Class: Pardoner

Re: Ragnarok 2 [THE FAILURE]

Post by Icystare » September 10th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Which one are we talking about? There were three RO2 essentially.
Ragnarok Online 2
Ragnarok Online 2: Legend of The Second
Ragnarok Online 2: The Gate of the World
There's so many reasons why each one failed.
Hemo
Donator
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: UTC+3
Favorite Class: Cryomancer

Post by Hemo » September 10th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Adminstare wrote:Which one are we talking about? There were three RO2 essentially.
Ragnarok Online 2
Ragnarok Online 2: Legend of The Second
Ragnarok Online 2: The Gate of the World
There's so many reasons why each one failed.
all of them! the topic is ragnarok 2! :gg:
made by wangqr from deviantart
Icystare
Wiki Manager
Timezone: GMT -5
Favorite Class: Pardoner

Post by Icystare » September 10th, 2014, 10:10 pm

Ragnarok Online 2: The Gate of the New World #1
This is where the RO2 death spiral began. There were many reason why this game failed but I'll condense it into a few major points.

First problem with the game was the class system, it consisted of five main archetypes: Swordsman, Enchanters(mage/priest), Clowns(bards/dancers), Thief, and Recruits(Archers with guns). The problem with this is that they tried to make RO2 into something completely different yet the same.
I'm not one to shoot people down when trying out something new, but this is a whole new different game with a rehashed RO skin on top of it.

Second problem was it was a traditional korean grinder with the bare minimal features and no significant/worthwhile features. And the third problem is progression, the only way to level up in the game was to grind out your levels and the lack of significant gear progression really left a bad taste in the player's mouth. Sure, you got skills as you leveled but that didn't impact the gameplay in the slightest since it was still "R-Click & Afk".

TL;DR Classes sucked, gameplay was typical korean MMO grinding session with no worthwhile features.

Ragnarok Online 2: The Gate of the World #2

Where do I even begin with this one? Let's start off with the gear/weapon system, the system is quite different during the era of standard korean mmo grinders. The main feature RO2:GotW was it's equipment progression system. As you fight/kill monsters, your gear get progressively stronger after a certain point you'll be able to upgrade it to a stronger piece of equipment with the proper materials and levels on the weapon. So that means you can reuse your favourite equipment forever and ever right? Yup.

Sadly here comes the bad, whenever you decide to upgrade your weapon/armor you pretty much leave your gear to the RNGods. Let me give you an example, you're playing a swordsman and you want attributes that better your swordsman right? There a 50/50 chance you will get attributes that will better a spellcaster than you the swordsman.

There wasn't all bad in this RO2 attempt#2, in this version they introduced free class switching. It's a familiar concept now days but back then it was something different and unheard of. Firefall and Final Fantasy XIV are the notable ones that offer that feature today. The class system was quite different from the previous installment since the three races had significant differences between them in how their class systems worked.

Norman(humans) had the ability to free switch classes outside of combat which allowed a highly versatile character overall.
The Ellr(super midget elves) had no classes, all of their abilities came from these skill stones they equipped. Ellr are more sandbox-like approach to the skill system since you can equip whatever skill stones you want allowing for more hybridized gameplay.
Lastly there's the Dimago race but I haven't had any experience playing with this race since it hasn't been released while I was still actively testing out the game.

Besides the class progression system, the rest of the game was the same thing you encountered in the first RO2.

TL;DR Gear progression system was fresh but had problems, races changed the skill system you use, same problems that plagued the first one.

Ragnarok Online 2: The Legend of the Second

This is(hopefully)the final chapter in RO2's horrible flops. The game embodies what happens when a game runs out of funds, creative juices, patience from the company itself. A completely standard MMO with a fancy RO skin. Visually the game is very appealing (of course to those who like the anime styled graphics) colours were bright, character designs brings homage to RO, and they brought back the card system but with a different twist instead of slapping it on your equipment, you yourself wear the cards. RO2 attempt #3 pretty fell back on the "cookie cutter" MMO with no features to note or brag about beside the card system.

TL;DR Feel back on the practices of being a "WoW clone" with anime graphics and RO skin, nothing to worth mentioning since nothing new was brought to the table

On a final note most of these are my personal experience with the actual product at hand. I view games without prejudice or bias of any sort.
ArcticaWind
Beginner

Post by ArcticaWind » September 29th, 2014, 1:22 pm

Simply, they felt like they were were a downgrade from everything that made RO so good. That's why many RO players are so psyched about ToS. Among other things it's got the original creator of RO behind it, SoundTeMP, and beautiful graphics reminiscent of RO. It honestly feels like a lot of love is going into making ToS the game RO players have all been waiting for. I'm completely stoked for it.
Rosenakahara
Apprentice

Post by Rosenakahara » September 29th, 2014, 1:29 pm

They made WoW when they should have made ragnarok 2 :yawn: