Are games better off without quests and stories?

Silk
Apprentice

Post by Silk » August 3rd, 2014, 12:31 am

*Edited completely

So I wrote a pretty big article that has a lot to do with how I feel about MMOs and why I think RO is pretty great. I put it up here if anyone wants to read it:
http://01life.net/2014/08/03/making-sto ... o-writing/

The gist of the write-up: Do games need stories? I think a lot of the time they're better off without. When there's a story, it can get in the way, dash your sense of exploration, tell you who you are and what you're doing when you just want to be you, exploring a game world or finding something new.

Games can have lore, and can even have storylines, but when every plot point is scripted, every place told and directed, and everything set to be found and experienced in chronological order movie style, do you think that's good? And what do you think of an opposite alternative? minecraft, no story, no lore, just systems and a place.

You guys agree? Would you play an MMO with no storyline or no quests, do you think you'd enjoy it?

Goldmind
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+30

Re: Are games better off without quests and stories?

Post by Goldmind » August 9th, 2014, 4:37 am

I will read your article in a short while, but I wanna give my brief opinion on the big question.

I do think storylines and quests are important. For me, I like seeing scripted events (on moderation), and I do like to see how things pan out with a very well-written storyline. I want to feel engaged in my adventure when I am moving around talking to ToS NPCs while a storyline is unfolding itself through dialogue in my head. I want to feel like ToS NPCs have life in them and one good way is to weave them through good quests and good stories. Yup.

Sefrion
Beginner
Timezone: GMT+1

Post by Sefrion » November 25th, 2014, 5:55 am

Short awnser: No.

Bitrip
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Squire

Post by Bitrip » March 9th, 2015, 7:59 pm

For me it depends on two things:
-How well the story is executed
-The genre of the game

When story elements are poorly implemented, I feel like it serves as a detriment to the overall game. I'm not saying every game has to have a story fleshed out like Final Fantasy, but rather, just not have glaring problems like poor translations (see Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment), or a lack of character development. Cutscenes and voiceovers are nice, but again not necessary. If you don't believe me, try playing Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth1 - literally a perfect example of how a game with a good story works without either.

Some genres don't require story elements at all. I am currently playing through Rayman Legends and it has no story whatsoever but I am still thoroughly enjoying the game. Platformers and FPSs can usually get away with this. RPGs and Action games? Not so much.
Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

Star.E.Knight
Apprentice
Guild: Dream Revolution
Timezone: GMT -7
Favorite Class: Shepherd

Post by Star.E.Knight » March 9th, 2015, 10:41 pm

For me, I would have to say that the only thing I need is a main story plot, as long as the game has something to work for in the middle of everything that makes grinding mobs less noticeable. I think that's why RO worked so well, even tho there was a lot of just grinding, there was always something you were trying to find and after killing the same thing for an hour it made it all better once you found that Item.

Anyway, my ideal game would be a game with the normal quests mixed in with more event quests, and the path system that wildstar has (but make them more worth doing)... Hell I would love to see side quests like Zelda games have. For example, finding types of bugs and giving it to an NPC to get better items or helping a mask shop sell masks :P It would even be nice to have dungeons or Mini games like Zelda too or or or! where we have to sneak in to somewhere without being seen, yes that would be fun! I wouldn't mind having matches in the game that are like Dynasty Warriors which you can easily add to any MMO cuz you could make it into a dungeon of some kind.

Anyway.. I better stop before I keep finding things that I could add in to an MMO :P
Last edited by Star.E.Knight on March 9th, 2015, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with a Noob.... They only bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

Bitrip
Apprentice

Post by Bitrip » March 9th, 2015, 10:44 pm

Star.E.Knight wrote:Anyway, my ideal game would be a game with the normal quests mixed in with more event quests, and the path system that wildstar has (but make them more worth doing)...
Speaking of Wildstar, how do you like it? I haven't played since Closed Beta...may give it another go once my new rig is up and running in the next couple of weeks.

Star.E.Knight
Apprentice

Post by Star.E.Knight » March 9th, 2015, 10:56 pm

Bitrip wrote:
Star.E.Knight wrote:Anyway, my ideal game would be a game with the normal quests mixed in with more event quests, and the path system that wildstar has (but make them more worth doing)...
Speaking of Wildstar, how do you like it? I haven't played since Closed Beta...may give it another go once my new rig is up and running in the next couple of weeks.
The game has been getting better and better with every patch, and more people are coming back to play it. It has been keeping me entertained for a while as I wait for TOS. I would recommended it to anyone that wants a good game to play. The only reason I would play TOS over Wildstar is the fact that RO was my first MMO and is the only MMO that has kept me coming back to it. So I hope everyday that TOS lives up to and/or is better than RO, cuz I truly miss playing RO and I want TOS to be that game that fills in that emptiness in my heart. (I know that sounds corny... but its true :sob: )
Never argue with a Noob.... They only bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

Bitrip
Apprentice

Post by Bitrip » March 9th, 2015, 10:59 pm

Star.E.Knight wrote:
Bitrip wrote:
The only reason I would play TOS over Wildstar is the fact that RO was my first MMO and is the only MMO that has kept me coming back to it. So I hope everyday that TOS lives up to and/or is better than RO, cuz I truly miss playing RO and I want TOS to be that game that fills in that emptiness in my heart. (I know that sounds corny... but its true T___T)
That's not lame at all, in fact, it's largely why most people gravitate towards the games that they do. I played Champions Online for a long time as it served as my pseudo-replacement for City of Villains. RO has a special place in most of our hearts, so I am sure you are not the only one! Personally I loved it...it was way ahead of its time.

Star.E.Knight
Apprentice

Post by Star.E.Knight » March 9th, 2015, 11:02 pm

Bitrip wrote:Personally I loved it...it was way ahead of its time.
I so agree with you on that one :)

Chiyuri
Apprentice

Post by Chiyuri » March 16th, 2015, 1:04 am

There are many ways mmo introduce "quest"

Some have the Storyline the path of advancement in the story. You can`t go beyond a point without following the story.
Some games follow that type like vindictus

Another type would be the Main Storyline. The main storyline is usually seperated from the rest of the game and you can choose to either get to it, take a break from it, do other stuff or even fully ignore it.
Most good mmo use that type, like mabinogi, pso2 or trickster online

Finally we got many small mmo that just have a quest system to get exp but there is really barely no story at all or any meaning behind doing quest. Those mmo are usually of low quality for some reason.

On a side note there is Runescape which is heavily story base. Instead of a main storyline, it has all sort of quest with different stories and some sometimes affecting each others or crossing each other, merging. For people who love lore and quest story, that type of questing system is trully the best. Sadly Runescape is the only one I know make use of that system.

In the end, there are people on all of these types so it just mean that there is many kind different needs and such in games so it is best to have games for all of these.

Mischelle
Newcomer

Post by Mischelle » March 16th, 2015, 6:32 am

That's too general question, because what kind of game?

In the ToS forum, assume it is an mmorpg.

In which case, it depends on the kind of quests and stories are featured in the mmo.

"Storyline" and "campaign" are really terrible additions to an mmo, they put the game in single player mode, where your character is somehow the main protagonist of world. In an mmo designed to be played with other people it is awkward.

Lore can be a valuable addition, though. Lore type quests involve you in the world which is going on around your character without your character being completely central to the story, and aren't required to "complete" the game. Lore quests give curious players something interesting to do while going completely overlooked by straight out level grinders.