Discuss: Items

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Discuss: Items

Post by Flash » April 26th, 2015, 9:31 pm

I would like to discuss with you how we handle items. I'm not too sure if it makes sense to add all items to the wiki. We already have an item database for this and it's much easier to keept that one up to date. On the other side I don't think that that items should be completely banned from the wiki because some of them will have interesting information that can't be dataminded like lore or even interesting gameplay mechanics. So I think we should add items if the think we need them but don't try to add everything just to have it in there. A Warp Scroll might be interesting as it could be used in some gameplay explanation. Some ore that is simply used in a crafting recipe or even loot items that aren't used for anything probably don't need to be added. I would like to get your opinions regarding this.

Delisle
Beginner
Timezone: UTC-5

Re: Discuss: Items

Post by Delisle » April 27th, 2015, 12:22 am

The wiki should focus on the different type of items. Their role in-game. A wiki is good for lengthy explanations. If you have a good database with the items, it will be a lot better and at one point it could be linked to the builder (I think it's going to be the goal for weapon n gear).

Noctureon
Apprentice
Guild: Root
Timezone: GMT +10

Post by Noctureon » July 28th, 2015, 6:50 am

May I reopen this discussion? I apologize in advance for necroing.

I spent half a day today looking at other games' wikis to see how I can contribute with ours. In those hours, I had no idea we had a database. This would be the same dilemma faced by new players coming in to check the game out or other players not part of the community here at ToSB.

Wouldn't it be possible to make a page for each item, then have a template or link that will point to the database, then pull information and images from there? A wiki page would also be useful for displaying screenshots of the items when they are actually ingame, in example:

http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Bhaf ... _Guard_(F)
http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Valkyrie_Shield
http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Bastard_Sword

Pages like the one above are very useful not only to crafters for a quick overview of the Requirements but also to fashion-centric players who care more about looks, more than stats (myself included).

If there's no easy way to template it or to pull straight from the database, I'd understand. If there is, I'd be happy to help in anyway I can, like providing screenshots and item information not included in the datamine, when I come across them.

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Post by Flash » July 28th, 2015, 7:29 am

I think it should be possible to grab information from the database I'll check this when I got more time (don't know when exactly that will be due to CBT preparations). It's a good idea to combine wiki and database information imho.

Noctureon
Apprentice
Guild: Root
Timezone: GMT +10

Post by Noctureon » July 28th, 2015, 7:41 am

Flash wrote:I think it should be possible to grab information from the database I'll check this when I got more time (don't know when exactly that will be due to CBT preparations). It's a good idea to combine wiki and database information imho.
No worries. If you do manage to merge database and wiki infos, we'd have the same basic info as the other ToS wikis, and then it's just a matter of updating it once CBT starts. Thanks for considering my input!

Courtis
Donator
Guild: Majestic

Post by Courtis » July 29th, 2015, 5:17 pm

That would in fact be awesome if the database and the wiki could be linked (as in "feeding an item's stats to the DB and having the wiki request it via containers/variables").

Another solution would be making a simple list of the items and linking each to the respective page in the database.

But I would definitely try to include them in any way because a wiki is a source or (even a nexus if you will) for information and the lack thereof disqualifies any wiki from being "good"