Main Page categories

Flash
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Cleric
Server: [EU] Fedimian

Main Page categories

Post by Flash » June 22nd, 2014, 5:19 pm

I'm currently trying to group the wiki articles to fitting categories. This topic is supposed for suggestions. Simple write down what categories you think we need and what articels it should contain. You may also suggest categories for articles that don't exist yet.

Please post you suggestions like this:
Categorie: Example 1
Articles: Article 1, Article 2

Categorie: Example 2
Articels: Article 3, Article 4

The current Main Page can be found here: http://wiki.tree-of-savior.com/wiki/Main_Page

The exact layout and design will be applied when the categories are done. Please note that the Wiki will evolve over time as we get more and more articles. So some categories like Goddesses will probably disaapear when there are more importan ones :)

Valkyrie
Newcomer
Guild: Valkyrie
Timezone: UTC+7

Re: Main Page categories

Post by Valkyrie » June 22nd, 2014, 5:25 pm

i don't get it :roll:
lol

Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » June 22nd, 2014, 5:29 pm

Valkyrie wrote:i don't get it :roll:
lol
the old layout was just a list of all articles in the wiki. we are trying to organize it so it's easier to find what you are looking for. the iro wiki is a good example. The most important part is to put everything into a fitting categorie. for example a class categorie with the classes as it is listed now. I'd like to get some suggestions on this because I'm not sure how to order everything :)

Laima
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+8

Post by Laima » June 22nd, 2014, 6:58 pm

I think the original outline is fine right now. Categorization is only important when there is enough info to split one super page into many smaller pages. Here's a step-by-step using classes as example. This will also serve as my suggestion.

1. We start with the Class page containing everything we know about the classes. This is where the wiki was already.

2. When beta arrives, we can create the following categories. I think this is your plan right now.

Category: Classes
Pages:
-All individual class pages (Swordsman, Centurion, Wizard, etc)
-Original Class page, which still serves as list of all classes, and should also explain how class advancement works

Category: Wizard
Pages:
-Wizard subclass pages (Wizard, Pyromancer, Cryomancer, Sorcerer, Linker, Psychokinesist)
-Wizard main page, which serves as list of wizard subclasses, plus maybe some discussion about wizard in general

Note that one page can belong to multiple categories, e.g. Pyromancer belongs to Wizard and Classes. This way, older categories need not be deleted.

This outline would look really messy if I wrote in the front page every category and every page under each category, but it can't be helped since categories are also used for searching. Again, my point is that this much categorization doesn't need to be done this early.

3. Just for fun, what happens afterwards? At some point, we will have enough info about skills to make individual pages for each. Following iRO Wiki, the outline will look like this.

Pages:
-Everything from before
-Ice Wall, Fire Wall, Fire Ball, etc (I'm just making up skill names)

Category: Skills
Pages:
-Ice Wall, Fire Wall, Fire Ball, Bash, etc

Category: Pyromancer
Pages:
-Fire Wall, Fire Ball, etc

Also, subclass pages will be used to discuss builds. Not only will there be so many combinations due to ToS's class system, but we don't know yet the best way to distribute discussion among the pages due to crossovers (e.g. comparing crowd control of Cryo + Psy vs Cryo 2). In other words, maybe we'll have something like this.

Pages:
-Everything from before
-Wizard 1, Wizard 2, Wizard 3, Pyromancer 1, Pyromancer 2, etc

Category: Pyromancer
Pages:
-Fire Wall, Fire Ball, etc
-Main Pyromancer discussion
-Pyromancer 1, Pyromancer 2

You get the idea. XD
Desperate for 1 key.

Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » June 22nd, 2014, 7:07 pm

Yeaha s I said it will change depending on how much content we have. Right now it makes sense to have all Goddesses linked on the main page and so on but when we get more wiki pages we will have to reduce it. I was mainly focussing on those categories that should be displayed on the Main Page (the front page of the wiki). We won't be able to link all 80 classes on the front page because this would be a total mess. However i think it's nice to link to the 4 basic classes and then have some kind of class overview in there.

So for classes it would be a "Classes" page that would be focussed on just listed the classes and then articles forevery class with a class overview for the following classes.

Laima
Apprentice
Timezone: UTC+8

Post by Laima » June 23rd, 2014, 9:18 am

Oh, I get it now! I was thinking something closer to this: Link. Sorry about that. >_< Here's my suggestion then:

Category: Tree of Savior
Articles: Features, Art and Lore (merged with all Goddess pages), Localization, Focus Group Test, Controls

Category: Character
Articles: Classes, Skills, Stats (merged with Attributes and all related pages), Barracks, Companions

Category: Mechanics
Articles: Elements (merged with all pages under it), Sizes, Races, Damage Types, Status Effects

Category: Items
Articles: Equipment (merged with Weapons), Auction, Crafting, Upgrading, Jewels and Amulets

Category: Systems
Articles: Adventure Journal, Transportation, Party, PvP, Chat

Category: World
Articles: Maps, Monsters, Bosses, NPCs
Desperate for 1 key.

Flash
Site Admin

Post by Flash » June 23rd, 2014, 3:37 pm

yeah sorry, I guess my first posts wasn't clear enough :/

but your suggestion seems very good I will reorder the wiki main page later with this in my mind :)