Competing fansites

Noctureon
Apprentice
Guild: Root
Timezone: GMT +10

Competing fansites

Post by Noctureon » July 30th, 2015, 2:40 pm

Browsing around for information on the game, I found other wikis out there ran by other fansites.

Although TosBase is currently #1 on Google, I've seen this before in other games I've participated in and it's really unhealthy for the community and new players tend to get lost and frustrated with duplicate information when they google things.

Have the TosBase Wiki admins ever consider, or have done, a sit-down with the admins of the other wikis? Collaborate? As we've seen with the translations, a large group of fans working together and concentrating their efforts on a singular project is better in the long run, than spreading the contributors thin.

What do you guys think?

SixPool
Apprentice
Timezone: GMT+8
Favorite Class: Rogue

Re: Competing fansites

Post by SixPool » July 30th, 2015, 2:45 pm

I think Flash or one of the admins mentioned before that he talked to the other fan sites about collaborating with them but all the others turned them down.

Noctureon
Apprentice

Post by Noctureon » July 30th, 2015, 3:21 pm

SixPool wrote:I think Flash or one of the admins mentioned before that he talked to the other fan sites about collaborating with them but all the others turned them down.
:omg: Wow, really? What asshats.

@Flash, did they give a reason why?

Celov
Beginner
Timezone: UTC -3
Favorite Class: Plague Doctor

Post by Celov » July 30th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Well, at this moment TOSBase and TOSReddit are the only active international fansites out there since TOSGame is literally over.

There's nothing much to "concentrate" now.

Noctureon
Apprentice

Post by Noctureon » July 30th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Celov wrote: since TOSGame is literally over.
Oh, that's dead? :hmm:

Vince
Apprentice
Guild: Neptune's Bounty™
Timezone: UTC +1

Post by Vince » July 30th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Really? all of them turned down the offer, i want to know why they did.

Gardosen
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Doppelsöldner

Post by Gardosen » July 30th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Like Flash already said,

we contacted several people if they want to merge with us.
Based on our reputation with Ragnarok Online 2, we have proven that we are a solid project Team since 2008 without any downtime.

Sadly all of them refused with the explanation that they want to do their own thing, or even worse stuff.

I wrote it already in the official forum, we don't care for competition or competing with other fansite.
Many of them blamed us, stolen content from us or other pages, or said they are way better than we are.
What's now?: Most of them have disappeared or have outdated content now without anyone who's willed to update it.

The people who really care for TOS, will find us sooner or later, without the need from our site to scream around, say "we are the best" or blame other pages ^^ That's not our style of acting, and will never be.

I am working with Flash now since 2008 on Projects and Flash is on TOSBase since years with a strong passion, I don't know anyone else who is working harder in his free time on a project then him.
My Dragoon Passive OneHanded Spear Dagger Build -> http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... aztoyx6nj/

SixPool
Apprentice

Post by SixPool » July 30th, 2015, 4:53 pm

^If only I could like this post. GET ON IT FLASH. Kidding. Lol.

Celov
Beginner
Timezone: UTC -3
Favorite Class: Plague Doctor

Post by Celov » July 30th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Noctureon wrote:
Celov wrote: since TOSGame is literally over.
Oh, that's dead? :hmm:
And outdated.

I don't see any activity from there (although I don't visit fansites that much now) and they're off for weeks.

I wish I had known some things beforehand though.

Icystare
Wiki Manager
Timezone: GMT -5
Favorite Class: Pardoner

Post by Icystare » July 30th, 2015, 5:24 pm

I've asked around if the other wiki/fansites if they were up collaborating but most of them straight-up declined mostly due to pride and inflated egos that theirs was "better". Throughout the year (minus my downtime) I've noticed most if not all the content was literally plagiarized from fan translators, fansites (include TOSBase) and Reddit. I'm fine if you grab content as long as you acknowledge the sources and at least change up the wording but nope. If you want to learn a bit more of what happened in the past year just find me on discord or irc.

Courtis
Donator
Guild: Majestic

Post by Courtis » July 30th, 2015, 5:45 pm

Some people really sit on a high horse :swt:

SixPool
Apprentice

Post by SixPool » July 30th, 2015, 5:49 pm

And I read in one blog that they stole his artwork without crediting him? Idk if it's true though. That same guy mentioned TosBase. I just can't recall his name. But all he said were good things about this fansite. So yay. Lol.

Noctureon
Apprentice

Post by Noctureon » July 30th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Wow... Those guys all sound like jerks. :bzz:

Props to you guys, admins and managers! You did the right thing trying to invite them and being the bigger man in all of these. And we thank you for all your hard work!

Icystare
Wiki Manager
Timezone: GMT -5
Favorite Class: Pardoner

Post by Icystare » July 30th, 2015, 7:22 pm

SixPool wrote:And I read in one blog that they stole his artwork without crediting him? Idk if it's true though. That same guy mentioned TosBase. I just can't recall his name. But all he said were good things about this fansite. So yay. Lol.
The only person I can remember that did something like that was AEJung of TOSHype.

SixPool
Apprentice

Post by SixPool » July 31st, 2015, 9:08 am

YES. Him. I was looking for blogs about ToS and came across his and never touched TosGame again. Lol.

Primo
Beginner

Post by Primo » July 31st, 2015, 9:29 am

I don't understand, why fans need to compete....

We are fans of the same game aren't we?

Gardosen
Site Admin
Favorite Class: Doppelsöldner

Post by Gardosen » July 31st, 2015, 11:00 am

Icystare wrote:
SixPool wrote:And I read in one blog that they stole his artwork without crediting him? Idk if it's true though. That same guy mentioned TosBase. I just can't recall his name. But all he said were good things about this fansite. So yay. Lol.
The only person I can remember that did something like that was AEJung of TOSHype.
i was talking to her when this happened and asked her if she really wants to quit the scene, as we (Flash and Me) really appreciated her work.
but sadly she really left. she said probably one day she comes back. Let's hope for this.

@Primo:
some people have a to big ego. In the last years the setup of a wiki or forum became easy. every rookie can do it, but what they don't think about is the work to maintain the project. i saw wikis and "databases" who not even changed the basic root password from admin/admin to something else. :wah:

the good thing is that, those pages most of the times disappear as fast as the appeared. :no1:
the only thing which is always bad is when these people spread toxicity over the community with their attitude. because this is something which is hard to remove afterwards.

Kind regards
Gardosen
My Dragoon Passive OneHanded Spear Dagger Build -> http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... aztoyx6nj/

Primo
Beginner

Post by Primo » July 31st, 2015, 11:24 am

I understand.

I do give credit to those people who even bother to try setting up a fansite or forum.
But I give much more credit who tries to maintain and keeps the community in tact.

Keep up the good job.

And Hopefully there'd be more data available on tosbase after the international CBT.

Noctureon
Apprentice

Post by Noctureon » July 31st, 2015, 12:25 pm

Primo wrote:I understand.

I do give credit to those people who even bother to try setting up a fansite or forum.
But I give much more credit who tries to maintain and keeps the community in tact.

Keep up the good job.

And Hopefully there'd be more data available on tosbase after the international CBT.
I totally agree with this. A good community is the make-or-break aspect of any game.

KeksX
Beginner

Post by KeksX » July 31st, 2015, 2:45 pm

There alwas have been competing fansites of the same language as everyone wants to be able to say "I own the biggest fansite... " etc.

Before ArcheAge turned shit we actually tried to bring together the french/english/german community fansites and have them work on a joint database/wiki, was no problem at all, but getting other communities of the same language was pretty damn hard.