Wizard class build

Spacenova
Beginner
Timezone: GMT +10

Wizard class build

Post by Spacenova » May 7th, 2015, 1:36 pm

So I love playing the Wiz because its so epic :gg:

I was wondering what other wiz players are going to try and build when the international server comes out?
I'm still not sure what I want to do yet. :hmm:

Share what type of Wiz are you planning on building and why. Or if you have already played the KR CBT, what are your thoughts?
Rothene
Apprentice

Re: Wizard class build

Post by Rothene » May 7th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Never tried the CBT, but current plans for a Sorcerer main using the class builder are:

Wiz->Cry->Link->Ele->Sorc->Sorc

Rationale: I just want to play a sorcerer since they get cool summons. Cry because ice magic is cool, Link because it sounds useful to link things for a summon to smack around. Ele gives some AoE and Full Sorcerer because I want to play a sorcerer.
Star.E.Knight
Apprentice
Guild: Dream Revolution
Timezone: GMT -7
Favorite Class: Shepherd

Post by Star.E.Knight » May 7th, 2015, 6:07 pm

I think I'm going to be

Wizard>Cryomancer>Cryomancer>Elementalist>Chronomancer>Chronomancer

I picked Cryomancer because of the Ice Wall :P and the fact that most skills have a chance to freeze enemies, is always a plus. I picked it twice because I can see how having higher level freeze skills will become useful later.

Elementalist is next because their attacks seem to all be AOEs, which Ice Wall and AOEs = much love :)

And last two, for the moment :P, is Chronomancer. I would go this because of Quicken, Stop, and Haste. I would buff myself with Haste and Quicken to make it easier to mob. Once I have a nice group of enemies going, I would cast Stop and put up my Ice Wall up and begin to use my AOEs from the Elementalist.

At least... thats what I would do if the skills work the way I hope :P if not there are a few other things I wouldnt mind trying :P
Never argue with a Noob.... They only bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
Spacenova
Beginner

Post by Spacenova » May 8th, 2015, 1:54 am

Star.E.Knight wrote:I think I'm going to be

I picked Cryomancer because of the Ice Wall :P and the fact that most skills have a chance to freeze enemies, is always a plus. I picked it twice because I can see how having higher level freeze skills will become useful later.

Elementalist is next because their attacks seem to all be AOEs, which Ice Wall and AOEs = much love :)

And last two, for the moment :P, is Chronomancer. I would go this because of Quicken, Stop, and Haste. I would buff myself with Haste and Quicken to make it easier to mob. Once I have a nice group of enemies going, I would cast Stop and put up my Ice Wall up and begin to use my AOEs from the Elementalist.
I like this build, although I think i might go
Wiz > Cry > Psy > Ele > Chrono > Chrono

The reason I would go for Psy is I really like the ability to teleport and with some additional dmg skills

I guess by going with Cry instead of Psy is opting to go either DEF or DPS

Loved to see how each would go in battle
Sentper
Beginner

Post by Sentper » May 8th, 2015, 2:30 am

I have several wizard builds planned, actually.
Two of the most prominent ones are a
debuff-oriented Wizard > Wizard >Wizard > Elementalist > Sorcerer > Sorcerer > Sorcerer,
and a mostly supportive Wizard > Wizard > Linker >Linker > Chronomancer > Chronomancer > Chronomancer.

I'm really looking forward to how each will work out, especially since their focus won't be dishing out damage.
Star.E.Knight
Apprentice

Post by Star.E.Knight » May 9th, 2015, 4:08 am

Spacenova wrote:
Star.E.Knight wrote:I think I'm going to be

The reason I would go for Psy is I really like the ability to teleport and with some additional dmg skills

that would be fun :D and I have to agree with going Psy (I think I would still rather go Cry once more)

https://youtu.be/8WXcEDUDaNQ?list=PLdzM ... I7imvtWrye

That Video is the only reason I would go Psy instead of Cry. It is soo OP :P But they may tone it down by the time we have it T_T
Never argue with a Noob.... They only bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
Spacenova
Beginner

Post by Spacenova » May 11th, 2015, 2:43 am

Star.E.Knight wrote:
Spacenova wrote:
Star.E.Knight wrote:

that would be fun :D and I have to agree with going Psy (I think I would still rather go Cry once more)

https://youtu.be/8WXcEDUDaNQ?list=PLdzM ... I7imvtWrye

That Video is the only reason I would go Psy instead of Cry. It is soo OP :P But they may tone it down by the time we have it T_T
This vid is so epic, I love how you Ice Wall yourself inside then swap out with the enemy and make it rain :gg:
MeteorD
Newcomer
Timezone: UTC+2

Post by MeteorD » May 21st, 2015, 8:24 pm

Star.E.Knight wrote: https://youtu.be/8WXcEDUDaNQ?list=PLdzM ... I7imvtWrye

I wanted to ask about this, have we gotten any information on whether or not this was fixed? This is probably the only reason I'm considering Cryomancer since Wizard2 just seems flat-out better for most other builds unless I'm missing something.
Vektor
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Plague Doctor

Post by Vektor » May 30th, 2015, 4:00 am

After taking a look at the Thaumaturge skill "Transpose" I'm seriously considering making a melee oriented wizard. It'd go like:

Wizard > Wizard > Linker > Thaumaturge > Thaumaturge > Thaumaturge

Double Wizard for Reflective Shield and Sleep I guess (I find it kinda pointless to branch into another class for a single Rank unless I want a specific skill) and Thaumaturge so that you can Swell both arms and head, Transpose switching your Intelligence and Strenght, and then hit them all like crazy with a Sword/Mace.

Since you'll be dealing single target damage with your weapon, Linker skills help a lot for spreading the damage to a large number of mobs if needed, and also to mitigate the damage you'll take as a squishy wizard in the front lines by sharing it with other people.

The best part is that you don't have to suffer with the build until you reach your final goal because thanks to Transpose, you can spec in Intelligence like a Wizard should (I assume) and then start bashing face when you feel like it.

If anyone has any comment concerning this idea I'd be glad to hear it, even if it's an explanation on why it wouldn't work :ok:

EDIT: After some thinking, I've decided to go Pyromancer instead of Wizard Circle 2. That's because Fireball + Linker's Hangman's Knot seems super good, and enchanting my weapon with fire will increase the melee damage. So currently, the build I have planned is this one.
Last edited by Vektor on June 3rd, 2015, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pabu
Newcomer

Post by Pabu » June 1st, 2015, 1:44 pm

That's nice concept Vektor. I like that someone is considering thaumaturge. Guessing that it will be unpopular class because the abilities are not as flashy as others.

I have one thing I'd like to try out as a wizard.
Wizard3 > Elementalist3
Point of this is to get quick cast and a cleric friend to cast divine might for you. This should give instant cast for Meteor and other spells with cast times. And maybe if there's a linker in party that can be shared with everyone.
~I believe in slightly different donuts~
Star.E.Knight
Apprentice

Post by Star.E.Knight » June 1st, 2015, 4:25 pm

MeteorD wrote:
Star.E.Knight wrote: https://youtu.be/8WXcEDUDaNQ?list=PLdzM ... I7imvtWrye

I wanted to ask about this, have we gotten any information on whether or not this was fixed? This is probably the only reason I'm considering Cryomancer since Wizard2 just seems flat-out better for most other builds unless I'm missing something.
from what I have been told, no. They didnt seem to fix the OP builds last beta. It seemed they where forced on other things. But i really dont think they will leave it like that. (but I could be wrong... you never know)
Vektor
Apprentice

Post by Vektor » June 1st, 2015, 8:08 pm

Pabu wrote:That's nice concept Vektor. I like that someone is considering thaumaturge. Guessing that it will be unpopular class because the abilities are not as flashy as others.
I too don't expect Thaumaturge to be very popular unless someone finds a broken combo with it. I got interested in it mostly because it's not so flashy and a very new concept. I tend to be somewhat of a hipster concerning my class choices :heh:

The biggest issue I see with this build is that you'll be fighting in melee range with flimsy wizard robes. But that's the struggle of battle mages in any game they are possible. I'll most likely play around with this build when I get a chance and see how viable it is. I like it that the build carries good solo capabilities without rellying on mana replenishment but also works wonders in parties, since the swelling spells affect the whole party, it seems. According to the item database here in ToSbase, wizards can use Swords. If they can't this build might as well be dead!
Pabu wrote:I have one thing I'd like to try out as a wizard.
Wizard3 > Elementalist3
Point of this is to get quick cast and a cleric friend to cast divine might for you. This should give instant cast for Meteor and other spells with cast times. And maybe if there's a linker in party that can be shared with everyone.
That feels very intuitive. When someone thinks about high level Wizards, I assume most people imagine a caster blowing everything up with AoE.

However, one thing I noticed while making a build is the following: If you focus on certain classes and level them to Circle 3, you get less skills to use than someone who went for more classes. The balance is kept with said skills being much stronger.

This is quite obvious, yes. However, in this case, keep in mind that the cooldown on Elementalist Skills are extremely long. Meteor has a CD of 4 and half minutes! In the middle of a fight or for grinding thats a lot. The Elementalist skill that can be used most often is Electrocute, and that is once every minute. This might mean that in this case, it might be better to focus on another class so that you have more forgiving CDs for such an offensive build, but that's just my thoughts. I could as well be very wrong since I haven't even played the game yet.

The point is, the fact that you must go to Circle 3 Wizard to get Quick Cast might make your life very hard. Casting a spell quickly is of little use when you must wait minutes before you can cast them again. But since we get even more classes after Circle 6 that we haven't seen yet, your build is very likely to become even stronger later on in stages of the game we do not yet know. Master of endgame at the expense of the early leveling stages, maybe?
Pabu
Newcomer

Post by Pabu » June 1st, 2015, 10:23 pm

Yea the current cooldowns on elementalist are really long. You get to cast ability once every 20 seconds. Wizard abilities are more spammable at one offensive cast per 5 seconds (more if you count that energy bolt can be cast 3 times in a row). That might be boring to play early on.

Quick cast will help with the energy bolt spam and Meteor that can have huge cast time at higher levels. Toswiki claimed cast time to go up 2s/lvl. Assuming max is 40 seconds if you have level 10 and cast in on top of level 10 Divine Might. If the last ranks 7 and 8 introduce more classes with ridiculous cast times then this might be worthwhile. Or with thaumaturge in party I can attack harder while waiting for cooldowns :heh:

Linker is really interesting to me, but I haven't made up my mind what combination of classes I would like best with it. Chronomancer would be nice combination to give attack speed to everyone, but I don't find that too interesting.
~I believe in slightly different donuts~
Vektor
Apprentice

Post by Vektor » June 2nd, 2015, 12:28 am

Pabu wrote:Quick cast will help with the energy bolt spam and Meteor that can have huge cast time at higher levels. Toswiki claimed cast time to go up 2s/lvl. Assuming max is 40 seconds if you have level 10 and cast in on top of level 10 Divine Might. If the last ranks 7 and 8 introduce more classes with ridiculous cast times then this might be worthwhile.
We should also take into account that the game might have a minimum fixed cast time. Perhaps it will not possible to instantly cast anything. Either way, going from 40 seconds of casting (which sounds like a blasphemy to me) to something like 4 seconds is worth building for in my opinion. With the amount of burst you'll have, I can see this strategy being very solid in PvP. Having extremely high burst damage with little survivability and almost no sustain are the trademarks of the most efficient assassins in most game genres.

Also, does anyone know if we'll have something like Dextery in RO? As in, a stat that decreases casting time? This might also be a necessary thing to factor in here.
Pabu wrote:Or with thaumaturge in party I can attack harder while waiting for cooldowns :heh:
Count me in! :heh:
Pabu wrote:Linker is really interesting to me, but I haven't made up my mind what combination of classes I would like best with it. Chronomancer would be nice combination to give attack speed to everyone, but I don't find that too interesting.
Chronomancer is the best example of a class I love the concept but hate the execution. None of the skills appeal to me, although the idea of being a time master sounds super cool. I don't know how they could it in any other way though, so I'm not complaining about Chronomancer. I just don't find it interesting as well and completely understand where you are coming from.

When I saw the Linker class, I knew I'd like to make one. That was perhaps the start of my Thaumaturge melee idea, which was solidified after I saw the glorious Transpose skill! If I were not focusing on that, though, I'd go for the class that offered me the most single target damage at the expense of AoE. Maybe Pyromancer? It surprises me that Wizards don't have any characteristicaly class that bursts single targets down, all classes seem to be more geared towards utility.
RaZept
Newcomer

Post by RaZept » October 17th, 2015, 5:44 pm

I have never play the game yet but I have plan some skill. any comment on this ?

Gaia Mage Build....

Wiz>Wiz>Link>Wiz>Link>Necro

3Wiz for Max Earthquake 2 Link for enough AoE chain+enough hangman time to case EQ(might lower this spell level if most spell cast less time that I think)

Here's the plan
Main Combo 1 : Joint Penalty > Hangman > Earthquake
Main Combo 2 : Joint Penalty > Gather Corpse

For Close Combat : Surespell,Physical link(not focus) , Reflect shield ,Flesh hoop (Quite crazy berserk mage.... i guess)

Support : above skills^ + Spiritual Link (In case I have to pull off front line to support) , Lethargy 1 for 20% more damage strike type attack.

Create Shoggoth is for the fancy and help sharing damage....

Still have many SP left after contributed to each skills.... might put in quick cast and more physical link....

In the future would be more Necro for better Flesh hoop and Mimic(Cuz I'm interested!)