Melee Wizard possible?

bcs
Beginner

Melee Wizard possible?

Post by bcs » October 20th, 2015, 9:04 am

Browsing through the Stats page on the Wiki I noticed that Wizards use magical attack for damage no matter what weapon they're actually using(I assumed it only applied to staves).

So is it possible to make, say, pure INT/DEX Wizard and go around meleeing everything with a sword/mace AND still be able to cast spells well with the high INT?
Kazuya
Beginner
Favorite Class: Shepherd

Re: Melee Wizard possible?

Post by Kazuya » October 20th, 2015, 11:48 am

Yep, it's called Monk, but you would do less damage overall with your monk skills if you go INT
RaZept
Newcomer

Post by RaZept » October 20th, 2015, 12:12 pm

sadly,Monk is not in wizard's class line. but I saw somebuff on necromancer that deal close combat damage. else.. I'm not seeing much close combat skill.
Musteque
Donator
Timezone: CET
Favorite Class: Monk

Post by Musteque » October 20th, 2015, 3:15 pm

Currently all Wizard auto-attacks throw some kind of magic bolt (INT/Matk based). This is true no matter the weapon equipped (including Swords and Maces). So increasing STR or DEX will not increase their damage. It is possible that it was not intended to work that way and could eventually be fixed by the devs.

If they fix it, I could see Melee Wizards being viable (Linker, Chronomancer and Thaumaturge, especially).

Lastly, an alternative I've heard mentioned would be to use your off-hand weapon (dagger) attack, but this would severely gimp your character, as the damage output wouldn't be that great.
Vektor
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Plague Doctor

Post by Vektor » October 20th, 2015, 3:53 pm

I had plans of making a melee wizard with the Thaumaturge class. The idea was to use Linker skills to spread your damage, use both the arm swelling skills to increase damage and then Transpose. This way you could build for INT and be a spell caster, and when you ran out mana you'd switch your INT with you STR and bash stuff in the face. I posted about this in a much older thread, and the concept was so cool to me I considered Thaumaturge to be my favorite class.

And then they changed Transpose to switch INT and CON instead of INT AND STR and it all went down the drain. Well, it was good while it lasted, although I'd have liked to go beyond the theorycrafting phase with this idea. Oh well. Now that this idea is dead Thaumaturge seems way less interesting to me.
bcs
Beginner

Post by bcs » October 20th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Musteque wrote:Currently all Wizard auto-attacks throw some kind of magic bolt (INT/Matk based). This is true no matter the weapon equipped (including Swords and Maces).
Ah, so that's how it works. Yeah, that definitely sounds like a bug. RIP my INT/DEX Wizard idea, you were OP while you lasted(one day).
Lastly, an alternative I've heard mentioned would be to use your off-hand weapon (dagger) attack, but this would severely gimp your character, as the damage output wouldn't be that great.
Can every class attack with the off-hand weapon? Is there any advantage to this(i.e. faster attack speed when alternating hands)? Or does it only really "work" with certain classes that can utilize the off-hand?
Musteque
Donator
Timezone: CET
Favorite Class: Monk

Post by Musteque » October 20th, 2015, 6:55 pm

bcs wrote:Can every class attack with the off-hand weapon? Is there any advantage to this(i.e. faster attack speed when alternating hands)? Or does it only really "work" with certain classes that can utilize the off-hand?
All classes can equip a dagger off-hand. If I'm not mistaken, it indirectly increases your attack speed, as you can easily animation cancel by alternating main and off-hand attacks. Another advantage (if used against the right mobs) is the Stab damage it deals. But Corsair is probably the most suited for it, with his Double Weapon Assault buff.
xyan
Apprentice

Post by xyan » October 20th, 2015, 8:27 pm

things to consider here, flame weapon ability to buff autos and linker for aoe damage. both of these strengthen your damage potential just like thaumaturge will.

for later tiers of classes, taking classes with forms of damage that don't reduce your melee attacking activity would be a must in my book. necromancer's summons and shield of bones (can't remember the names off the top of my head) would work here, as would summoner's summons.

the viability of a melee wizard compared to standard style wizard in terms of damage will also depend on the tiers of classes not yet known, as this build focuses solely on buffing your melee damage and using skills that don't steal time; classes that are not yet out may only have abilities not suited for this, or potential well suited for it.
faeo_mavklas
Apprentice
Guild: TBA
Timezone: -8
Favorite Class: Hackapell
Server: Klaipeda

Post by faeo_mavklas » October 20th, 2015, 8:54 pm

Melee wizard? Damn...I loved Ragnarok's sorcerer Spell Fist. Imagine if the "Taoist" class in this game had martial art skills that's imbued with elemental property. That'll be sick. What's even crazier is when you combine the earlier classes to reinforce that type of class. Linker for chaining monsters. Chrono for speeding up your attacks and movement. Thaumaturge for increasing your magic and normal attack damage. But I bet the Taoist by history would be a next version of the Nercromancer/Sorcerer.
xyan
Apprentice

Post by xyan » October 20th, 2015, 8:55 pm

faeo_mavklas wrote:Melee wizard? Damn...I loved Ragnarok's sorcerer Spell Fist. Imagine if the "Taoist" class in this game had martial art skills that's imbued with elemental property. That'll be sick. What's even crazier is when you combine the earlier classes to reinforce that type of class. Linker for chaining monsters. Chrono for speeding up your attacks and movement. Thaumaturge for increasing your magic and normal attack damage. But I bet the Taoist by history would be a next version of the Nercromancer/Sorcerer.
One of the new classes announced for rank 7 is or is similar to a taoist I thought.
faeo_mavklas
Apprentice

Post by faeo_mavklas » October 20th, 2015, 8:57 pm

xyan wrote:
faeo_mavklas wrote:Melee wizard? Damn...I loved Ragnarok's sorcerer Spell Fist. Imagine if the "Taoist" class in this game had martial art skills that's imbued with elemental property. That'll be sick. What's even crazier is when you combine the earlier classes to reinforce that type of class. Linker for chaining monsters. Chrono for speeding up your attacks and movement. Thaumaturge for increasing your magic and normal attack damage. But I bet the Taoist by history would be a next version of the Nercromancer/Sorcerer.
One of the new classes announced for rank 7 is or is similar to a taoist I thought.
What class was it? I don't remember.
xyan
Apprentice

Post by xyan » October 20th, 2015, 9:03 pm

Swordman
Shinobi Rank 7
Fencer Rank 6 (Replaced Centurion that got removed)
Dragoon Rank 8
Templar Rank 8
Murmillo Rank 8

Archer
PiedPiper Rank 8
Appraiser Rank 8
Cannoneer Rank 7
Musketeer Rank 7

Wizard
Mimic Rank 11
Daoshi Rank 11
Sage Rank 7
Warlock Rank 7
Featherfoot Rank 8

Cleric
Chaplain Rank 8
Shepherd Rank 9
Plague Doctor Rank 7
Kabbalist Rank 7

ranks still TBD and 11 is a placeholder - likely only to be 10 ranks of classes, but I believe the one here that is stylistically a representation of Taoist is the Daoshi in the wizard tree.
faeo_mavklas
Apprentice

Post by faeo_mavklas » October 20th, 2015, 10:34 pm

xyan wrote:Swordman
ranks still TBD and 11 is a placeholder - likely only to be 10 ranks of classes, but I believe the one here that is stylistically a representation of Taoist is the Daoshi in the wizard tree.
lol the Taoist is a follower of Taoism. Tao "SHI" is a practitioner of the Taoist magic school that branched out from Taoism. They are the same. You know the spells and theme in Naruto and the omyouji of Japan? Fortune telling? Exorcism? Talisman magic? Paper puppets? Imbuing objects with elemental properties? Deity possession? That's Taoist magic but they exaggerate it and also added in their own touch throughout the branches that expanded outwards to Japan. Tao and Dao are interchangeable. When I said Taoist I meant Taoshi. I thought it was obvious but yeah, English is stupid. It's pronounced with a D but it's suppose to be spelled in English with T. Kind of like the Chinese surname Lee is suppose to be spelled with Li instead of Lee or else that'll be the European surname. :hmm:
Donaire Family
Apprentice
Favorite Class: Plague Doctor
Team Name: Donaire

Post by Donaire Family » October 20th, 2015, 11:06 pm

KingTam
Apprentice
Guild: ROOT
Timezone: HKT
Favorite Class: Doppelsöldner

Post by KingTam » October 21st, 2015, 7:36 am

Donaire Family wrote:What about something like this :?:
http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... b1g8iul2p/
it doesn't work because no matter the weapon you are using, wizard will always cast bolts as auto attack and its implemented it this way is because so that even if wizard runs out of mana they won't be useless and use their strength attribute to attack. they don't fight in the front lines due to their squishiness and they maximize spell damage with intelligence attribute. honestly I think this is an extremely smart implementation to make wizards more useful even without spells.
faeo_mavklas
Apprentice

Post by faeo_mavklas » October 21st, 2015, 9:13 pm

Donaire Family wrote:What about something like this :?:
http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... b1g8iul2p/
No, something more like this haha. This build is just for fun and it seriously lacking in a dependable killer skill. :shy:
http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simu ... 5bl8j7jwp/

1. Apply Haste and Quicken.
2. Gather the mob.
3. Use Joint Penalty.
4. Use Hangman's Knot
5. Use sleep(assuming if it can mass sleep the target)
6. Auto-attack the knotted mob
-you got eight hits with sleep at 8 and with level 10 joint penalty, you'll be be able to link 8 mobs.
-haste and quicken will help you move faster and attack faster.
-with level 10 energy bolt you can switch it up with the normal attack and EB
7. Use slow or stop accordingly as a back-up crowd controlling skill.
-only use stop to help yourself for casting or to wait on your cool-down